Page 44 of 92 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546474854 ... LastLast

Thread: CYGN-B

Hello,

Very good.

Years back I designed a small DAC that plugged into the Commodore C-64 that used a couple AD533s. Nothing special. That was around 1986-1987.

I've been following this thread since it started. Haven't had anything to contribute, but I'm happy to help.

If you guys get to the point you'd like to put your project on pcbs, I'm happy to do the layouts.

Here's a couple I've done:

Through hole:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pcb1.JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	446.8 KB 
ID:	58646

SMD:

Name:	pcb2.JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	165.8 KB 
ID:	58647

I have a pretty well equipped bench and large inventory of components. I have other equipment I bring out as needed.

Here is a small Poly-20 grating rotator (during testing) I did a while back:

Name:	bench1.jpeg 
Views:	5 
Size:	807.6 KB 
ID:	58648

And the completed boards:

Name:	bench2.jpeg 
Views:	7 
Size:	875.1 KB 
ID:	58649

In this thread, you can see a project I did a while back with DZ:

https://photonlexicon.com/forums/showthread.php/24119-The-EK-DZ-Advanced-Laser-Router!

I've done other laser related designs too.

If I can help, just ask. I work for myself, so I have available time if needed.

ED

Quote Originally Posted by ekeefe View Post
    Hello,

Very good.

Years back I designed a small DAC that plugged into the Commodore C-64 that used a couple AD533s. Nothing special. That was around 1986-1987.

I've been following this thread since it started. Haven't had anything to contribute, but I'm happy to help.

If you guys get to the point you'd like to put your project on pcbs, I'm happy to do the layouts.

ooh, ooh, me too! I'd love to have a re-do of my 4-layer, 65c02 co-processor DAC boards for the Apple IIe/IIgs, done with SMDs this time and a small change to add 2 additional blanking output channels, giving each board RGB digital blanking channels instead of just one.

Hello,

@TheHermit

That sounds like an interesting project!

I have some familiarity with MIDI. My first magazine article was in the May 1992 issue of Radio-Electronics. It was a Midi Light Controller. It was really basic by todays standards, but I sold a lot of them. I received my last order for one in 2004. Some body else scanned it and put it online. Here is a link to the article:

http://www.epanorama.net/sff/Lights/...Controller.pdf

Are you looking to combine all the shields onto one pcb? Do you want to keep using shields, or would you prefer to unify the design onto one pcb?

Please PM me with a way to contact you offline, so we don't clutter this awesome thread.

@lasermaster1977

If you still have details available for your Apple DAC boards, I'd could do a pcb for you. I order pcbs every few weeks for projects I do. I could add these to one of my orders.

To anyone else reading this, I don't disclose any details about other peoples projects. I like working on interesting things and respect peoples designs and ideas. I only share when it's allowed by the owner(s). If you tell me not to share, it will not be shared.

ED

Quote Originally Posted by ekeefe View Post
    Hello,

@lasermaster1977

If you still have details available for your Apple DAC boards, I'd could do a pcb for you. I order pcbs every few weeks for projects I do. I could add these to one of my orders.

To anyone else reading this, I don't disclose any details about other peoples projects. I like working on interesting things and respect peoples designs and ideas. I only share when it's allowed by the owner(s). If you tell me not to share, it will not be shared.

ED
    Here is a forum link to an overview of my co-processor DAC boards I mentioned. Scroll a bit down on page 3.

https://photonlexicon.com/forums/sho...t-we-did/page3

I still have all the schematics, node connection maps, artwork and photo masks, but the schematics need to be changed for the mods. Needed are the two additional decoded address lines. The original board used a 74HCT259 8-bit addressable latch for 8 board control functions, 3 for IRQ functions, 4 to control a quad bi-lateral analog switch and 1 for a single blanking control line. No doubt there are better decoding chips for doing this now in SMDs.

Thanks for your interest. I'll send you a PM with more info.

Hi ekeefe. Your accomplishments are impressive and your offer generous. I'm reading your article. Thank you for contributing to this thread. On one hand I think it would be great to have the fascinating collection of modules I've been entrusted with by the Elders here available as a laser analog synthesizer for those who appreciate this art form. I'd love to make public my carefully drawn and verified wiring maps so those interested could appreciate the bread sticks beside the noodles.

Two considerations stand in the way though. Almost all of these circuits involve components that have to be found in limited quantities on ebay or the like. However, I do have most of the modules functional on breadboard, so substitutions would be easy to check.

The bigger issue is that I'm not sure I want to attempt to contact Jon regarding something which he and I have already spoken about. I don't have a go ahead to share the full details of the IP. I trust that you would keep anything private that I requested you to. I have a bunch of breadboard that I'd like to free up that currently has a full working CYGN-B on it, but I hardly want to ask you to work your magic just for that, and on top say you can't share it.

lasermaster1977: I read through page 3 but somehow didn't find an overview of your co-processor DAC boards. I think I have a lode of the same vintage aluminum plates that appear in some of your earlier work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails aluminium_plates.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Hi ekeefe. Your accomplishments are impressive and your offer generous. I'm reading your article. Thank you for contributing to this thread. On one hand I think it would be great to have the fascinating collection of modules I've been entrusted with by the Elders here available as a laser analog synthesizer for those who appreciate this art form. I'd love to make public my carefully drawn and verified wiring maps so those interested could appreciate the bread sticks beside the noodles.

Two considerations stand in the way though. Almost all of these circuits involve components that have to be found in limited quantities on ebay or the like. However, I do have most of the modules functional on breadboard, so substitutions would be easy to check.

The bigger issue is that I'm not sure I want to attempt to contact Jon regarding something which he and I have already spoken about. I don't have a go ahead to share the full details of the IP. I trust that you would keep anything private that I requested you to. I have a bunch of breadboard that I'd like to free up that currently has a full working CYGN-B on it, but I hardly want to ask you to work your magic just for that, and on top say you can't share it.
    I think your RGB to RYGB color mod converter with a color mod I, color mod II, chopper, and a beam torquer would be a good for a project. After all the VCAs would need to be faster for today's scanners. So not a cut and paste of Laserium Stuff. And nothing there that couldn't be done with available components...

You've learned enough on this thread for a redesign of the CYGN B. I'm sure I've mentioned replacing the Johnson counters with dual buffered D/A converters with a micro controller to load the next value for each DAC.

Then there's KQO. It needs to be redesigned for today's scanners too. I'd do it as a feature of a spiral circuit. If you had ramp shapers for each axis of the spiral it could look like KQO when you want.

And a console has to have a joystick, and fixed rotations when there's more than one scan pair, and, and, and...

Laser Images patented this way back when. Patents expire. And I agree that some old components are unobtainable and others uncertain supply. That makes it time for a redesign. Like you did with the matched transistors in the spiral circuit.

If Ivan was still alive this thread and some others wouldn't exist yet. There's a difference between respecting Ivan and respecting his memory. Getting this stuff out there is respecting his memory. Ivan loved a review where the writer said Laserium may just become a major art form of the future. If that's ever going to happen we all have to let go, and show the world what was on our palette.
    Last edited by laserist; 01-29-2022 at 06:26.
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Laserist, well spoken.

ekeefe, PM sent

Greg, PM sent

I'm interested to hear what lasermaster1977 would have to say regarding the Digital Offset Generator. Is it possible that those from whom I have received the file 6b-DOGN.pdf might provide that file to certain currently participating interested parties?

The Digital Offset Generator used a 6502 microprocessor and a clock circuit that was just a bad idea from the get go. Redesign - don't copy. There's a lot of smart people in the world and some of them care about this stuff. And you really need a faster processor to emulate non feedback scanner ringing for the "dogloids", etc.
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by laserist View Post
    The Digital Offset Generator used a 6502 microprocessor and a clock circuit that was just a bad idea from the get go. Redesign - don't copy. There's a lot of smart people in the world and some of them care about this stuff. And you really need a faster processor to emulate non feedback scanner ringing for the "dogloids", etc.
    (Technical Correction - "LRC" changed to "RLC")
    So that's all it is? An RLC under damped square waveform generator? Sounds like an impressive undertaking using a 6502 back in that day.

Getting a Maserati to emulate a Model-A seems like a cool, high tech, intellectual exercise, but why not just use non feedback scanners for that effect? They may be hard to find now, I don't really know. Or simply design XY phase-shifted RLC circuits with under damped step response and feed that to high speed feedback scanners that follow most any signals in their bandpass accurately.

(forgive me, I'm a good source for dumb ideas)
    Last edited by lasermaster1977; 01-29-2022 at 22:00.