Page 55 of 92 FirstFirst ... 4551525354555657585965 ... LastLast

Thread: CYGN-B

John Tilp, Scott Anderson, and Daryll Davis would be the go to guys from my era...
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by laserist View Post
    John Tilp, Scott Anderson, and Daryll Davis would be the go to guys from my era...
    Here, from what I can surmise by looking at photos found on line, and frames from the Laserium video, are three graphics showing the panel layout and labeling of the three Encoder decks.

Legend would have it:

These decks were repositioned physically about the room depending on the needs of the number. Not always were all 3 decks used in a given number, but the 352 data came to tape only from the more squarish one. Patches could occur between decks. Up to three people, or six hands, were needed to operate all three decks.

One function of the Encoder was making something happen following a trigger signal and a delay.

Analog logic as such was used, whereby voltage level at a settable threshold gates further function.

Envelope followers are used to produce control signals from frequency bands given audio input. The previously rebuilt audio modulation board has something like that. I wonder how the two circuits would compare.

Various thoughts:

The faders and the grid of dip switches are obviously about composing words of 352 control data.

It can be seen there is a group of nand gates and inverters. Consider there is a rule about any gates being composed from other gates, and needing inverses to do so.

What were the groups of four bits with clear lines doing?

What is "efg" steps?

What is needed is for one of the aforementioned individuals to join our discussion and offer to walk us through an interesting patch or two. I could grab an address from a search and dispatch an email, though perhaps there might be other ideas.

Steve: I sent an email but haven't heard from you. I was looking forward to hearing you expound on the beauty of the topology of the schematic shown in the 6b-CLOSED_LOOP_SCAN_AMP.pdf file. I haven't looked at it super closely, but I'll get to it when I complete the Danube parts order.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Encoder_deck_3_guesses.png  

Encoder_deck_2_guesses.png  

Encoder_deck_1_guesses.png  

The below is pure guess work...

There are 4 efg outs in two groups, and 4 sets of analog control banks. I'm guessing electronic function generator out and inverted out. The 3 inputs per BGYR might be clock inputs 1x, 2x, 3?4x...

The top left plugs, I'm guessing are the assignable outputs for the bottom left assignable dip switches.

These additional panels were the only ones ever built. (As far as I know) If they were really useful in a global sense I'd think they would have built at least one other set. Simply because single point failures suck in a production environment.
    Last edited by laserist; 09-06-2022 at 17:23.
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

A review of the historic DOG roms I received from Brian a while back, and the hex files that came before that, shows that Brian had already read and provided all the rom data potentially of interest, and my recent triumph of getting to the GQ-4X to work was to no purpose.

A comparison of the ROM dumps shows that, aside from different points data, the roms for starship, laserock2, inside Laserium, RockIt, and BillyThorp all have the same earlier and smaller version of the code.

The interesting code with the dogloids appears only on The Police rom, which fortunately exists and has been documented previously in this thread. It is now known that nothing of interest except points data remains in the rom dumps.

Was Inside Laserium a regular show with a setlist?

The rom collection includes some Intel 1702A labeled #1 and #2, and there is currently no configuration for this in the GQ-4X reader. I don't know what these might be.

On to more interesting things: I have BELAs memory expanded with flashed and installed microSd cards. Also the 351 data import function for BELA has been written. An audio synched replica of the signals that operated the spiral and danube boards is very close.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DOGN_ROMs_1.jpg  

DOGN_ROMs_2.jpg  

Danube_parts_so_far.jpg  

a_box_of_belas.jpg  

cyc_cycloid.png  

cycloid_map.png  

Greg,

Lots of stuff in the Laserium archive on "Inside Laserium". I have a video of the show (51 min), several videos of certain portions, and the complete soundtrack if you are interested. I very much enjoyed performing that show. It had a LOT of variety (and some award-wining pieces (thinks, Scott!).

Foreplay
    Boston
    Laserium II (1976)

Flight of the Bumblebee
    Rimsky-Korsakov
    Crystal Odyssey (1981)

Adagio - Op. 6 No. 8
    Corelli
    Laserium I (1973)

Toccata and Fugue in D
    J. S. Bach
    Rainbow Cadenza (1986)

Steam Forest
    Andreas Vollenweider
    Zodiacal Light (1989)

What You Need
    INXS
    Lasertrax (1986)

Kandinski
    The Laughing Man - Adrian Belew
    Inside Laserium (1995)

The Love Cats
    The Cure
    Laserock: into the 90's (1990)

Learning to Fly
    Pink Floyd
    Pink Floyd: Now & Then (1988)

The Galaxy Song
    Monty Python
    Rock It (1990)

Mercury Blues
    David Lindley

Kiss of Life
    Peter Gabriel
    Genesis (1985)

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    A review of the historic DOG roms I received from Brian a while back, and the hex files that came before that, shows that Brian had already read and provided all the rom data potentially of interest, and my recent triumph of getting to the GQ-4X to work was to no purpose.

A comparison of the ROM dumps shows that, aside from different points data, the roms for starship, laserock2, inside Laserium, RockIt, and BillyThorp all have the same earlier and smaller version of the code.

The interesting code with the dogloids appears only on The Police rom, which fortunately exists and has been documented previously in this thread. It is now known that nothing of interest except points data remains in the rom dumps.

Was Inside Laserium a regular show with a setlist?

The rom collection includes some Intel 1702A labeled #1 and #2, and there is currently no configuration for this in the GQ-4X reader. I don't know what these might be.

On to more interesting things: I have BELAs memory expanded with flashed and installed microSd cards. Also the 351 data import function for BELA has been written. An audio synched replica of the signals that operated the spiral and danube boards is very close.

Inside Laserium
    Foreplay
    Boston
    Laserium II (1976)

Flight of the Bumblebee
    Rimsky-Korsakov
    Crystal Odyssey (1981)

Adagio - Op. 6 No. 8
    Corelli
    Laserium I (1973)

Toccata and Fugue in D
    J. S. Bach
    Rainbow Cadenza (1986)

Steam Forest
    Andreas Vollenweider
    Zodiacal Light (1989)

What You Need
    INXS
    Lasertrax (1986)

Kandinski
    The Laughing Man - Adrian Belew
    Inside Laserium (1995)

The Love Cats
    The Cure

Learning to Fly
    Pink Floyd
    Pink Floyd: Now & Then (1988)

The Galaxy Song
    Monty Python
    Rock It (1990)

Mercury Blues
    David Lindley

Kiss of Life
    Peter Gabriel
    Genesis (1985)

Narration: Jim Ladd

TheHermit,

Yes, that video (enhanced by Scott Anderson) was part of "Inside Laserium". What you don't see in the set list I posted was the several interstitial "educational" pieces about light, lasers, and Laserium.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by TheHermit View Post
    Perhaps that was used to create this video sequence?🤔

Quote Originally Posted by ronhip View Post
    TheHermit,

Yes, that video (enhanced by Scott Anderson) was part of "Inside Laserium". What you don't see in the set list I posted was the several interstitial "educational" pieces about light, lasers, and Laserium.

Ron
    I found the educational pieces in "Laser Amazement" pretty fun, most likely off topic but the 59merc track or whatever is alot of fun too.
    leading in trailing technology

TheHermit,

I don't know if there is a copyright on that. Laser Images, the parent company, is gone, and Lumalaser purchased much of the hardware and trademark, but I don't think they hold the copyrights. Anyone who knows more (dsli_jon?) please add to (or correct) this information. If you aren't using it for profit, or implying that it is your work, I can't see much harm as long as you give credit and possibly point to the original.

Ron

Thanks Ron. Would you happen to know whether that video is still copyright protected? I would like to include some of it as an intro to my T4 Laser Synth video reveal. I emailed Scott a few months ago to find out, but never received a reply.
    😢

Snip

Would dsli_jon happen to be Jon Tilp, by chance?
    😎
    dsli_jon is Jon Robertson. He took over Laserium etc when Ivan retired.Jon sold the Laserium name, equipment and non-exclusive performance rights to Lumalaser. Jon's the guy...