Page 67 of 92 FirstFirst ... 5763646566676869707177 ... LastLast

Thread: CYGN-B

Thanks for mentioning this Ron. Your science content is outstanding, and deserves way more subscribers. What was the one with the Gilbert and Sullivan musical joke at the beginning? That had me laughing - get right to the bit everyone knows and then rush through it in a most comical way. Let me know if you can use any beauty shots of my 20 gram electron beam-melted ingot of Osmium.

Quote Originally Posted by ronhip View Post
    Greg,

If you're trying to impress me - mission accomplished. Just doing my once-a-month YouTube video about elements feels like a lot to me!

( https://www.youtube.com/ronhipschman in case anyone is interesting in subscribing... I'm currently stuck in the lanthanides, but will have some interesting Holmium laser stuff next month! )

Attachment 59816

Ron

Default I Am the Very Model of a Modern Major-Laserist

Greg,

For my intro music, I use a few bars of the Gilbert and Sullivan's "I Am the Very Model of a Modern Major-General" from The Pirates of Penzance as a nod to Tom Lehrer's "The Elements" song. (Insider joke)

https://tomlehrersongs.com/the-elements/

The version I use is from Theodore Gray's Japanese version of the above song found in his Elements app for iPad. (Recommended!!!)

Ron

PS. If you are a Tom Lehrer fan, he's released all his music to the public on his site - https://tomlehrersongs.com. If you aren't a fan, you should be!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Thanks for mentioning this Ron. Your science content is outstanding, and deserves way more subscribers. What was the one with the Gilbert and Sullivan musical joke at the beginning? That had me laughing - get right to the bit everyone knows and then rush through it in a most comical way. Let me know if you can use any beauty shots of my 20 gram electron beam-melted ingot of Osmium.

Ah, I sensed there was good depth to that joke. Actually I am a long time fan of Tom Lehrer, an instantly recognizable magnitude of genius who brought much joy to his audiences. He reminds me in ways of Lou Gottlieb of the Limeliters. I just listened to the elements song, and wow. I wish Mendeleev could have heard that.

One of his I sing to an audience sometimes is the cartoon wolf who loves to do things that begin with SN.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoRc...&start_radio=1

The audio synchronized visual choreography in this production seems to me of a rare and similar quality to the legendary 352 business we are hoping to see soon. I notice that the cartoon ends in a similar way to some Laserium numbers where the themes introduced through the number come together at the end and recede off into the distance. As well, the music in this piece is a great example of the power of understatement in musicianship.

Sorry, my brain won't let me ignore the challenge:

I Am the Very Model of a Modern Major-Laserist
    I lived through times when psychedelic lasers were a craze
    Aristocratic is my game and gaze upon the sight of phase arrest,
    Some call me Sir ablate a tiny hole right through a razor-ist.

Quote Originally Posted by ronhip View Post
    I Am the Very Model of a Modern Major-Laserist

Greg,

For my intro music, I use a few bars of the Gilbert and Sullivan's "I Am the Very Model of a Modern Major-General" from The Pirates of Penzance as a nod to Tom Lehrer's "The Elements" song. (Insider joke)

https://tomlehrersongs.com/the-elements/

The version I use is from Theodore Gray's Japanese version of the above song found in his Elements app for iPad. (Recommended!!!)

Ron

PS. If you are a Tom Lehrer fan, he's released all his music to the public on his site - https://tomlehrersongs.com. If you aren't a fan, you should be!

Quote Originally Posted by cfavreau View Post
    There is a fellow selling a CSL projector. There are some really high res photos of it.

https://photonlexicon.com/forums/showthread.php/28834-Laserium-CSL-projector-and-control-rack

Maybe the tank glass is one of those?
    I found this on ebay by asking for fresnel lense. Ones this small are a bit less common than larger ones. The unit is glass. I'm wondering if concern is warranted regarding shoving lumia apparatus in front of an off the shelf ILDA projector, and the possibility of a back reflection damaging a laser diode.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails glass_fresnel.jpg  

Here is the open air flying architecture version of the multabela harness, and one of two needed bela to ilda boards. I have to make a duplicate of the blue wire wrap board for the other two channels, and then the hardware component of the system will be complete.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails multabela_harness.jpg  

Not yet the exciting update where we see four channels with joysticking. Unfortunately I wasted a bunch of time before reviewing some ILDA documentation and then realizing that unipolar to differential amps are not needed for the twelve color signals.

At this time I have an issue to resolve involving the three projectors I bought recently:

I have noticed that the shutter moves out of the way of the beam the instant a connected Helios DAC is initialized, but that the shutter does not move when only the interlock pins 4 and 17 are connected to each other. I'm looking for ideas what the initialized DAC is doing to cause the shutter to open.

Check the voltage on pin 13.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    Check the voltage on pin 13.
    Oh ho! it jumps to 3V on DAC initialization. Next to try it on the projector. I expect that is it. Needing a 3V supply for just that is inconvenient but not insurmountable. Thanks.

I think pin 13 is supposed to be +5v and capable of at least a little bit of current.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    I think pin 13 is supposed to be +5v and capable of at least a little bit of current.
    Yes, the Shutter/Pin 13 is spec'd as a TTL High to open and TTL Low to close.