Page 78 of 92 FirstFirst ... 6874757677787980818288 ... LastLast

Thread: CYGN-B

The feature for assigning the XY input to a bus channel for recording is complete. This means it is now easy to successively lay down tracks of imagery that gets inserted into the beam channels as described by the 352 data. This also means that the system can play back all the XY from a full bank of cycloid generators without the hardware being connected, which greatly improves portability. Currently chopper, colormod, joysticks, and mode options are left to the performer, but these signals, except for the mode options, could easily be recorded and used in place of the signal inputs as well.

The photos are from soul kitchen, which is a riot of data frame activity that achieves a kind of image multiplexing sort of like the way sprites in the atari 2600 flickered to produce multiple display objects.

Also shown is the 6b emulator system diagram. Note the signal returns from the belas to the spiral, danube, and dog cards. This part is all that is left to do, and it is the most interesting part as well. I'm connecting the SPGN-on-a-breadboard into the system for testing and troubleshooting, and we may eventually get a look at the ramp shaping effect produced by the rarest chip in the world, which was indeed contributed by Brian: The Burr-Brown.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pic01_SoulKitchen.jpg  

pic02_SoulKitchen.jpg  

pic03_SoulKitchen.jpg  

pic04_SoulKitchen.jpg  

pic06_SoulKitchen.jpg  

pic07_SoulKitchen.jpg  

6b_emulator_system_and_signals.png  

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Which ancient Burr Brown? I have a box of them, enough that surely I will not use all of them before I pass on.
    PS the " Fishoids" are very, very cool...
    Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Which ancient Burr Brown? I have a box of them, enough that surely I will not use all of them before I pass on. PS the " Fishoids" are very, very cool...
    Thank you Steve. It's the 4302 multifunction converter. I have documents you sent regarding the theory behind, and thus a way to select alternatives to this device. I'm making an educated guess that a kind of peristaltic variation through a swept KQO I can see in the mind's eye, like its gulping something, is resulting from the shaped ramp.

The resettable voltage controlled ramp using the matched pair thing suggested by someone here as a substitute to an unavailable component, is a beautiful thing, and exists working perfectly on breadboard. Getting the signal switching and 2 quadrant multiplier substitutions troubleshot is the next step in the completion of the 6B emulator.

The fiishoids are a CYGN-A stand in for what is called for on the bus, which is triangle audio mod. This audio board is fully built and working on breadboard.

Ron, thank you for the video. It is a different version in terms of any 351 data as far as I can tell. The version I have I'm glad to say is the original Laserock2 as seen in 1982 version which I remember as a slow, subtle mostly red cosmic eye kind of number, which is the one described in the PIN you recently provided.

I'm going to take a photo of the osmium outside, because of indoor clutter seen in the reflective surface. This ingot is about 70 percent the size of one of those glass beads commonly available for toys and crafts. It is on the small end of the mass of ingot needed in order for one to be able to heft with one's fingertips and truly perceive the absurd density of the element. The ingot is between 18g and 19g.

I have only handled it with gloves, not because I'm scared of osmium tetroxide, but to not risk the luster with oils.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Osmium_18g_DIP.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post

I'm going to take a photo of the osmium outside, because of indoor clutter seen in the reflective surface. This ingot is about 70 percent the size of one of those glass beads commonly available for toys and crafts. It is on the small end of the mass of ingot needed in order for one to be able to heft with one's fingertips and truly perceive the absurd density of the element. The ingot is between 18g and 19g.

I have only handled it with gloves, not because I'm scared of osmium tetroxide, but to not risk the luster with oils.
    Greg,

In my element talks (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...6Rd1czBtBpejNJ) I use a set of cubes, about 2.25" on a side, so people can feel density. I've included a photo below. While I don't have Osmium (or Iridium), I do have Tungsten which is only about 85% as dense, and is a good substitute. It's also quite remarkable. I didn't have the heart to cut down the Copper cube to the same size it was so beautiful in the state it was given to me, so it's a bit heavy.

If anyone else has any other interesting samples big enough to make 2.25" cubes, let me know. I should be able to find a graphite cube somewhere!

Ron

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Density blocks.png 
Views:	5 
Size:	2.90 MB 
ID:	60161

Here is an attempt at the number Soul Kitchen from Laserock Platinum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbWjLUMw2OQ

Bismuth is cheap, safe, heavy, and can be easily melted and poured, though it's very hard and brittle.

I thought a lot about recreating planetarium laser shows for video formats, and I don't think it works to just use the same image and offset gains. Maybe part of it is I'm usually looking at them on my phone, but there's a reason for, "The following film has been modified from its original version. It has been formatted to fit this screen...
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Here is an attempt at the number Soul Kitchen from Laserock Platinum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbWjLUMw2OQ

Bismuth is cheap, safe, heavy, and can be easily melted and poured, though it's very hard and brittle.
    ----

Greg,

The "middle-8" of that song is pure joy sticking of the dots (maybe with some CM2 ramp).

Bismuth's density (9.78 g/cm3) is very close to Copper (8.96 g/cm3) so I don't get very much benefit by casting a cube. Might be fun, though. And it's cheap to buy!

Ron

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Density chart.PNG 
Views:	2 
Size:	235.1 KB 
ID:	60184

Here is walking on the moon from Laserock2. 6B Emulator system updates include a group of software switches that perform the function of overrides, joystick function assignment, recording options, etc. The belas now have 32Gb sd cards so memory is available in which to store the library of shows.

And while we're on the moon, I had a first look at the second half of Dark Side. There are some passages of visual activity, and also some long segments where all the beams are off. I'm not sure if this means lumia effects only for these parts, or if some other projection hardware was filling in. I've posted a video of the guitar solo from any colour you like, in which can be seen someone puppeteering a slider long ago.

walking on the moon:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE6pdEMak7E

guitar solo:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6xYfyM2RvY
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WalkingOnTheMoon.jpg  

ContentAboard.png  

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

walking on the moon:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE6pdEMak7E

Oh so beautiful! Thank you Greg for the hard work.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

I don't remember walking on the moon well. I'm thinking that I used joystick with image rotation on the same joystick, but in my later years I had a tendency toward improvisation. For something like that the joystick damping was really useful.
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso