Page 97 of 97 FirstFirst ... 879394959697

Thread: CYGN-B

Quote Originally Posted by TheHermit View Post
    Hey, I found that bottle graphic, that I thought was from 'Message in the Bottle.'😎
    Neat! I keep forgetting to search for numbers on youtube before diving into restoration. I have that XYZ number from the Rush show from a 1/4" reel. The underlying choreography in that video looks similar or the same as what I have, but I think what is going on is that an image generator called the ADIG supplied much of the imagery that we are seeing in the video. I have some docs from Ron that give a catalog of the ADIG built in graphics, and most of those graphics are in there. I don't know why there is stuff on the DOGN EPROMs that are unrelated to the shows they are labeled for. As lasermaster1977 and I discussed, perhaps the chips were partially re-written without being cleared at some point, or received a dump of something that contained obsolete points behind the intended content.

lasermaster1977: I see why you think some of the plots look like control voltage envelopes, but I'm pretty sure the DOGN never provided control voltages to anything. Just image offsets, dogloids and graphic frames. I looked through my notes and found a page with some code that might be a points reading routine (attached pic) but please be forewarned, as I don't want to send you on wild goose chases, that I wrapped up my DOGN work about four years ago, and I don't remember exactly what is what from back then, except that the ported code works great for producing the dogloids and dynamic offsets on the C64.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails possible_points_routine.jpg  

lasermaster1977, or anyone else interested, I suggest anything you want to do involving the bela just ask me first, that will probably save you time. I watched those videos and asked questions on the forum so you won't have to. As time permits, I'll look into what is needed to get those sensors you purchased working with the AD signal IO and file read / write codebase I sent you.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Neat! I keep forgetting to search for numbers on youtube before diving into restoration. I have that XYZ number from the Rush show from a 1/4" reel. The underlying choreography in that video looks similar or the same as what I have, but I think what is going on is that an image generator called the ADIG supplied much of the imagery that we are seeing in the video. I have some docs from Ron that give a catalog of the ADIG built in graphics, and most of those graphics are in there. I don't know why there is stuff on the DOGN EPROMs that are unrelated to the shows they are labeled for. As lasermaster1977 and I discussed, perhaps the chips were partially re-written without being cleared at some point, or received a dump of something that contained obsolete points behind the intended content.

lasermaster1977: I see why you think some of the plots look like control voltage envelopes, but I'm pretty sure the DOGN never provided control voltages to anything. Just image offsets, dogloids and graphic frames. I looked through my notes and found a page with some code that might be a points reading routine (attached pic) but please be forewarned, as I don't want to send you on wild goose chases, that I wrapped up my DOGN work about four years ago, and I don't remember exactly what is what from back then, except that the ported code works great for producing the dogloids and dynamic offsets on the C64.
    Great investigative sleuthing, Roj! It cools to see the image pieces fall into their choreographed place.

Greg, when I was referring to CVs, I was extrapolating the use of 8-bit values being used as inputs to the DOGN 8-bit DACs for "image offset control voltages". To me a CV is a very broad term with many applications. (CVs in music synth terms seem to have a very narrow meaning...to me.)

Another point of clarification on why "there's stuff on DOGN EPROMS that are unrelated to shows they are labeled for...", and I was thinking about this just the other night.
    To "reburn" an EPROM back then the clear window on top of the chip had to be exposed to UV light for a period of time resulting in total erasure of data. Once an EPROM chip was erased the clear window would be covered with an opaque material or sticker prior to having new data written to it to keep any new programming to the EPROM from "fading away". The data bytes, however long, must be written to the EPROM burner in one action into a blank EPROM. It would seem plausible and highly likely to me that the manner in which the raw 2K data was created and stored on some type of computer and/or its floppy storage disks back then in 2K chunks is where the image data juxta positioning must have happened, intentionally or unintentionally.

I hope we can find the PF YT video of the "sleeping and awake head side profile" with the puzzle pieces overlays.

It's important to remember it was a long time ago. The DOG programing was done real close to the bare metal. The first computer at Laser Images was a six board wire wrapped masters thesis project. Having some junk in the unaddressed space wasn't because they put it there - they just didn't take it out.

The first digital image Laser Images did (Laserium) was "digitized" on graph paper and manually converted to hex to write the file to burn the EPROM.
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by laserist View Post
    It's important to remember it was a long time ago. The DOG programing was done real close to the bare metal. The first computer at Laser Images was a six board wire wrapped masters thesis project. Having some junk in the unaddressed space wasn't because they put it there - they just didn't take it out.

The first digital image Laser Images did (Laserium) was "digitized" on graph paper and manually converted to hex to write the file to burn the EPROM.
    Yes sir, I just re-read my John Bell Engineering, Inc 2716 EPROM Programmer manual (to fact check myself and my old recollections) which states that any memory location within the 2K data range to be written that is not to be overwritten should be filled with FF. So it was possible to only write to certain places when re-coding the 2716. This is the only EPROM programmer that I'm familiar with so other EPROM programmers probably did the same thing.

I may have had a 110VAC UV light bulb although I don't remember its been so long ago. I seem to recall using a standard 60W light bulb goose neck lamp placed close to the EPROM window for about 20-30 minutes (or maybe less).

The first 4 or 5 digital images I did were also drawn points on a 255 x 255 grid paper and converted to hex and manually typed into Apple II's memory, then save to floppy.

Here's a photo of the drum kit graphic recovered by lasermaster1977, shown in laser. Also shown are front and back photos of an interesting looking unidentified wire wrap board that came with the shipment that was picked up in Buffalo a few years ago.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails drum_kit_graphic.jpg  

board_unidentified_1.jpg  

board_unidentified_2.jpg  

That board was just included for the parts. It had four fairly fast 12 bit adc & dac chips. It plugged into a IBM PC, and I used it to characterize the analog color computer of a Hell 340 rotary drum scanner recorder. I built it about 7 years after my time with Laser Images.
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

The meeting with the program director at the city's second oldest operating cinema has occurred. I was told the owners are interested and a date might be in January.

The plan is to have a table in the center back row and block off center parts of about four rows. The floor is on a shallow descending incline.

The table has my four ilda projectors, the briefcase sized juke system with the belas and the multabela harness, and the ubiquitous laptop.

To be determined is getting line level audio from the juke to their booth. If audio is through a cable from the audio source strung straight up high in the air and over into the booth, I expect "what AC power circuit I'm on" is something that should be understood ahead of time...

If the juke has unbalanced outputs - get unbalanced to balanced transformers...