Page 36 of 92 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast

Thread: CYGN-B

I heard a story from a post Laserium laserist that that person's freelance company did the tele-pod effect for the film The Fly. Perhaps it is a similar effect to the one being discussed. The story goes that the argon beam went under the floor, and some non standard mirror had to be custom produced, and that it was so expensive that the company that produced the optic required proof of an airline passenger seat having been purchased for the travel case prior to the release of the item.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I heard a story from a post Laserium laserist that that person's freelance company did the tele-pod effect for the film The Fly. Perhaps it is a similar effect to the one being discussed. The story goes that the argon beam went under the floor, and some non standard mirror had to be custom produced, and that it was so expensive that the company that produced the optic required proof of an airline passenger seat having been purchased for the travel case prior to the release of the item.
    I doubt it was Laser Images.
    I found this on the net:

"Early tests for the teleportation effect included the use of an argon laser system which would project shafts of light inside the Telepods. This approach was scrapped in favor of using extremely bright flashbulbs to "burn out" the image of a person or an object inside a Telepod, an effect enchanced with animation in post-production. A motion-control camera was used to film two versions of each teleportation shot: one with an object/person inside the pod, and one with the pod empty. The shots were then optically dissolved together."
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Greg,

The CSX inherited the complete 6b console including all analog electronics. What was added was the Choreographics computer, 2 aligned RGB scanners pointed at the top of the dome, 4 fiber-fed cove scanners, and a second AR-KR laser to power some of that and beam effects. It was an amazing machine.

Ron

Here is a link to a test of my cyc live image generation and rendering software I did a few years ago. The video is what I remember of the choreography of the number Double Life from Laserock2. The main feature is the lick at 1:15 where the third oscillator of the CYGN-A is brought in. I have an audio cassette recording of a live show at the McLaughlin in 1981 where one can hear the audience response to that lick. I'm looking forward to looking at the original 351 data for that.

https://youtu.be/1F_QQLxN_vY

Ron: I didn't realize you did Laserium for 20 years, that's amazing. Did the 6b cycloid generators play any role in the CSX projector?

Brian: Those loops with the four scan pairs and the fixed rotational offsets is such an iconic image. Absolutely love that.

Yeah, driving to Buffalo or Detroit is not impossible, but kind of problematic. There's the added business of the screening I fill out each day at work that asks if I've been outside Canada in the past 14 days. If you would mail the stuff and let me know the shipping fees, that would be much better for me.

All: thoughts regarding how to approach inspecting the 351 data. Is there an existing platform that allows audio tracks and voltage outputs to be synchronized that I could write a file conversion utility for? Should I write software that produces ILDA files from the 351 data or renders it to video?

Speaking of those great looking loops, If anyone at any point is inclined to give me danube board documentation, I'd be happy to build one.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

So, Which show had a clip of Pink Floyd's
    "Sheep"? Reason I'm asking is it is one of the
    first scanned graphic images I ever saw.

An outline frame of a white lamb appears in the center
    of the Dome, z rotates, then splits into offset RGBY sheep
    [Four scan heads] each sheep traveling outwards in a cardinal direction on the dome, does some rotates at the end of travel, and are slowly brought back to the center.
    This was at the Buhl in Pittsburgh. I was 14 or 15 at the time. I clearly remember the Mark Whatever hidden behind a drape by the door.. With a whitelight SP in it, so no excuses, fess up...

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

What happened to all the recent posts from Hermit and Laserist?

Pink Floyd - After The Moon

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    So, Which show had a clip of Pink Floyd's
    "Sheep"? Reason I'm asking is it is one of the
    first scanned graphic images I ever saw.

An outline frame of a white lamb appears in the center
    of the Dome, z rotates, then splits into offset RGBY sheep
    [Four scan heads] each sheep traveling outwards in a cardinal direction on the dome, does some rotates at the end of travel, and are slowly brought back to the center.
    This was at the Buhl in Pittsburgh. I was 14 or 15 at the time. I clearly remember the Mark Whatever hidden behind a drape by the door.. With a whitelight SP in it, so no excuses, fess up...

Steve
    - - - Updated - - -
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

What happened to all the recent posts from Hermit and Laserist?
    We decided to stop stepping on your thread.

Pink Floyd: Now & Then
    Yet Another Movie / Round & Around
    Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Parts VI & VII
    Comfortably Numb
    Welcome To The Machine
    Sheep<---------------------------Here it is.
    Learning To Fly
    Goodbye Blue Sky
    One Slip
    Run Like Hell
    Echoes (excerpt)

Which was the show that had Foreplay by Boston, Breathe by Floyd, and I think it was the same show that had Purple haze by Hendrix, and Rocky Mountain Way by Joe Walsh?

Quote Originally Posted by laserist View Post
    We decided to stop stepping on your thread.
    Aww, well, Those were great stories. And the career path involving the expression "military optics" gave some relevant context to the quality of this discussion. I'll have to remove my comment, since I didn't start talking about The Fly out of the blue. TheHermit, Just wanted to say glad you are here. I have had, as have many people, regrets over lost opportunities, but that Floyd story is in a whole different league. I feel for you man. How unfair to get so close to the dream. Other than actual Moon missions, there's not much bigger than that. Speaking of which, is there some corner here on PL where people are talking about how great The Man and The Journey is?

Ok, my next post will be back to the technical discussion.

I looked but didn't see a single show with all of those numbers, it possible that a laserist edited their own best of show together.

Pink Floyd: Now & Then
    Yet Another Movie / Round & Around
    Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Parts VI & VII
    Comfortably Numb
    Welcome To The Machine
    Sheep<---------------------------Here it is.
    Learning To Fly
    Goodbye Blue Sky
    One Slip
    Run Like Hell
    Echoes (excerpt)

Which was the show that had Foreplay by Boston, Breathe by Floyd, and I think it was the same show that had Purple haze by Hendrix, and Rocky Mountain Way by Joe Walsh?