Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 39454647484950 LastLast

Thread: CYGN-B

Thank you Ron, for this and your many contributions. With out the exact audio which you cared to archive, these classic audio / laser synchronization licks being visualized would be much less certain.

Beginning with the following snips of previous comments:

Quote Originally Posted by laserist View Post
    a 3U euro card format that did:Multiplex 16 x/y image selection
    Master x&y gain
    Individual x&y gain
    Variable rotation
    Fixed rotation
    Audio mod multipliers with some switching
    Spiral multipliers with some switching
    A place to insert offset
    A place to insert spiral sweep
    A place to insert a different kind of spiral sweep

It would be one channel per card.

the image processing section. There are two other sections, image generation and control/automation. Any number of things can go into image generation, but there are rules. Everything has to be either digitally or voltage controlled. And all of the controls run through the control/automation section. This allows an iterative approach to developing a performance and allows the performer to override things in real time. Or the data can be edited later. I've thought about trying to totally lasso lumia into this paradigm, but since you can't instantly jump to the other side of the disk or what ever lumia doesn't completely fit. So I'd make an exception for some aspects of lumia, but the housekeeping would still go through the control/automation section. Obviously there are lots of ways to implement the override function. I doubt it would be practical or desirable to have the override on the individual pot or switch level. Choosing the level of complexity of the override capability is a huge multiplier of the complexity of the system as a whole.
    I am interested in pinning down with as much certainty as possible what exactly this describes. I can't offer much to a project like this except organizing information and writing software. Even if no more than a discussion of ideals, these could be an interesting and useful set of ideals to consider.

Attached graphic illustrates my current understanding of the overview being described.

Thoughts / questions:
    1. Does "Multiplex 16 x/y image selection" mean 32 pins for 16 differential inputs, or does it mean stack inputs through serialization or something?

2. Is one requirement to offer an all analog signal path from the image generators through processing to the output?

3. Are color signals brought through the image processing board, or in other words, is the output of each processing board similar or equivalent to an ILDA out?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails overview.png  

Hi Greg, sorry I've gotten myself totally involved in a different project, and I just don't have the bandwidth for laser stuff at the moment.
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Hi Greg, sorry I've gotten myself totally involved in a different project, and I just don't have the bandwidth for laser stuff at the moment.
    Understood. I have projects taking bandwidth from laser too. Hopefully we'll talk again over future specs or past data.

I intend to continue to post development reports to this thread as they occur. There's plenty of unrevealed points of interest in the information that has been provided, including the Danube board build, exploration of the spiral board with data, and updates to the 351 visualizer software.

Thanks, I've been thinking about how to build a better performance console for a long time.
    Me too. For about 30 years, but now I'm back with this:.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	T_Laser_Synth_Design.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	58899
    4 QOSCs, w/individual envelopes to eliminate galvo snap
    2 * RGB colormod OSCs
    1 * Intensity/Beam chopper OSC
    2 AM/Spiral OSCs
    17 Total OSCs,
    each w/amplitude, frequency, phase, pulse width, & offset,
    plus selectable sine, triangle, sawtooth, variable triangle, and square waveforms.
    XYRGB mixers w/4 independently controlled channels
    XY multipliers.
    XYRGB DC offsets for master color & size controls.
    All parameters are controllable via usbMIDI. (each projector with a Teensy Laser Synth on a separate MIDI channel (TBD))

This is the complete Teensy Laser Synth engine for the above, providing 0-1kHz on all OSCs, simultaneously. It contains a Teensy 4.1 MCU, w/3 DC coupled stereo audio shields, connected to HankLoydRight's ILDA conversion amp PCB.

Name:	T_Laser_Synth_Connectors.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	58901Click image for larger version. 

Name:	T_Laser_Synth_N_Case.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	111.1 KB 
ID:	58902

The following pic is the evolution of my laser projectors, over this past year. Shell on the left was the original pair of cheap starter projectors, just to get hands on w/laser diodes, after a 30 year hiatus (plus I liked the case for my living room wall). The second is the second cheap projector, modified for wall mounting.
    Unfortunately, the cheap laser modules wouldn't hold alignment, so I upgraded to an OPTlaser PD3000-RGB, pictured 3rd from left. The LD module is a much better build and the DT-40 galvos are a great improvement over el cheapos.
    The bare aluminum projector is an OPTlaser W3000-RGB module, still with el cheapo galvos (but upgradeable), robbed from the shell on the left. The PD3000-RGB will be modified to match, then both wall mountable cases will be anodized black.

Name:	Laser_Projector_Evolution.jpg 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	58903
    At the moment, I'm using an Akai APC40i mkii midi controller, with a Surface Pro touchscreen tablet for master controls, plus a 15" multitouch monitor for additional GUI controls. MIDI is routed via Pure Data to the Akai MIDI + Cakewalk's DAW. But, that's only until I complete the following 'dream' controller:

Name:	Hermit_MIDI_Controller.jpg 
Size:	123.4 KB 
ID:	58900
    22" 10 point multitouch screen,
    8 * 600 ppr optical rotary encoders, w/8 * 16 RGB neopixel rings.
    8 * RGB backlit rotary encoders w/detents,
    32 * RGB backlit preset buttons,
    2 * 7" multipage Nextion Intelligent HMI touchscreens (L&R 2D control of size, symmetry, position, & color, instead of mechanical faders),
    8 * bank/function buttons to modify the controls' functionality,
    Pure Data connects the MIDI controller, T4 Laser Synth module, Cakewalk's DAW, and provides additional touchscreen GUI controls and visual feedback for each of the 17 oscillators, envelopes, mixers, etc.
    IOW, I'll probably be up to my ears with coding issues for the next 6 months. But, it's a labor of love, & I'm full of anticipation to see it all in action.
    But, now that it's working with the Akai MIDI desk all mapped out as I prefer, I'm spending more time playing with cycloids than coding. So, don't hold your breath on the new desk.
    Product video is in production.

Just look at what Swamidog made me do!
    Last edited by TheHermit; 06-02-2022 at 08:46.

Default TheHermit: pretty cool - beats my ][ pair

...looking forward to seeing more on this!

Quote Originally Posted by lasermaster1977 View Post
    ...looking forward to seeing more on this!
    Thanks.
    BTW, 1977 was when I saw my 1st Laseruim show at Griffiths Park. In '78, Dave Cooper & I launched Laserium at the London Planetarium.

A'll be Bock. 😎

Thanks for posting, TheHermit. It is exciting to hear news from other sojourners on the quest to bring pro quality show control to the living room laser show enthusiasts.

I recently ordered and received a BELA starter kit with the Multiplexer board that multiplexes 8x16 bit 22k analog I/O lines into up to 64 analog I/O lines. Blast it! My wishful thinking influenced my reading comprehension. The Multiplexer only expands the signal inputs, not the outputs. It was too good to be true. I thought I had the solution for a 4 channel iteratively programable laser show with synchronized audio AND show control signals which augment a live analog console based performance, each channel with XY-RGB.

So the the Multiplexer is useless for this purpose. The BELA platform with its 8 analog I/O lines should make possible the parts about iteratively programable, show control signals, audio synchronization, and DC offsets.

There are a few different ways the device could be used. It could replicate the 351 scheme for a four channel system, but that would limit choreography options to what was possible with the enables / gains / fixed offsets of that scheme. It could provide control signals to a one channel system, and thus include full XY for that channel, which the 6b couldn't do. Or, it could take one XY-RGB ILDA source and simultaneously record, process, and output the signal. The second option will require the least external circuitry to be built, so this is probably the approach to be tried first.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Thanks for posting, TheHermit. It is exciting to hear news from other sojourners on the quest to bring pro quality show control to the living room laser show enthusiasts.

I recently ordered and received a BELA starter kit with the Multiplexer board that multiplexes 8x16 bit 22k analog I/O lines into up to 64 analog I/O lines. Blast it! My wishful thinking influenced my reading comprehension. The Multiplexer only expands the signal inputs, not the outputs. It was too good to be true. I thought I had the solution for a 4 channel iteratively programable laser show with synchronized audio AND show control signals which augment a live analog console based performance, each channel with XY-RGB.
    Thanks for the 'homecoming' welcome, Greg. Yes, it's really nice to touch base with fellow laserists.
    The BELA product line looks very interesting. I see that it also uses Pure Data, which is a free downloadable app for connectivity and accomplishes many synth functions that used to require hardware. Looks like a HAT for a Beaglebone Black SBC.
    When i retired in 2015, I became a wannabe 'maker' and gobbled up Raspberry Pi's, Arduino's, and several flavors of ESP MCUs. But every time I strayed from RPi SBCs, the OS repo was always lacking full functionality. When I researched the Teensy, I knew that it could be used for creating lissajous imagery, but I didn't know Arduino coding. So I stuck it in my parts cabinet until I did.
    I highly recommend checking out the Teensy 4.1, because it has a very full featured Audio library, specifically designed with synth development in mind. It's very well documented. PJRC are sold out of T4.x, but Amazon still has some. Last I checked, the SGT5000 I2S audio shields are available for quad, plus a PT8211 kit is required for the 6 channels. The SGT5000 also has line inputs and the Teensy Audio library provides DSP, Fourier Transforms, filters, whatev.
    I learned everything I needed to get started by watching 'our pal, Dave' and his 'Notes nd Volts' step by step Teensy Synth tutorial on YT. Just duplicate 3 more channels in Arduino and add a few more audio DAC shields. If I can do it, so can most average tech-heads.
    Last year, Swamidog's videos rekindled my enthusiasm, so I jumped in with a couple of cheap projectors and LSX Basic. (has anyone heard from Dr Lava, lately?) 'Our pal, Dave' provided the path to get up and running. Of course, I'm still far behind the Radiator, & need 3D vector matrix rotation and layered blanking. But, Rome wasn't built in a day, right?
    I'm putting together a DIY video, which I'll share as soon as my code is worth putting up on github for folks to download. Then, only a few soldering mods are required for assembling the hardware, which only costs ~$100 for the laser synth module, previously pictured. (+ MIDI controller & projector, of course).
    Nothing better to relieve boredom than being on a laser build mission, IMO.
    BR
    Last edited by TheHermit; 06-02-2022 at 21:07.

Default Teensy

I recently got a Teensy development kit and am looking forward to working with it. What a powerful little dude.

Quote Originally Posted by lasermaster1977 View Post
    I recently got a Teensy development kit and am looking forward to working with it. What a powerful little dude.
    Yes, it has completely blown me away. Like you, I was planning on having one for each QOSC, but only one is doing everything that you see in the flow chart, with no prob. BTW, as you'll see, that flow chart was created in the PJRC online Audio Design Tool, which can be exported to code and pasted into the top of your Arduino sketch. How cool is that? All of the components are listed on the left panel. Just pick and choose whatever you like, then link them together. Click on one and it's details and code usage are explained on the right pane. just follow the instructions.
    Here's PJRC's Audio design tutorial.
    You'll also need these audio shields. 2 * SGTL5000 (modified for quad) & pt8211 (must use pt8211_2 object in the Design Tool, modified for pins # 2, 3, & 4 instead of Pins 7, 20, & 21, already being used by the quad SGTL5000).
    That's probably more than enough of a brain dump within one msg. Beware of different versions for T3.x & T4.x, when ordering the audio shields.
    Just let me know if you get stuck or need a refill. I'm more than happy to help.