Page 79 of 92 FirstFirst ... 6975767778798081828389 ... LastLast

Thread: CYGN-B

Absolutely joystick damping would be really useful for something like this. It could be done in software or as something more novel such as using a non Newtonian fluid.

The system I watched walking on the moon on in 1981 had no knob on the joystick side pods for damping.

What is really missing here is variable joystick gain due to the limit of 8 analog inputs in the 6b Emulator system. I tried position and rotation on the same stick and joystick gain on the other stick when doing takes of this number. It is a good effect, but to me the essential lick in the number is the intuitive feel of rotation and position on separate sticks. It occurred to me after the takes that with trivial code changes I could re-assign the chopper depth dial as the joystick gain since this number uses no chopper.

It's the weekend. I expect to sleep and then go straight to looking at the threshold based color mod which I wrote a couple of weeks ago but isn't working right. I don't expect difficulty in resolving the bug. Then I want to finally connect the ramp reset and other related signals of interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Here is walking on the moon from Laserock2. 6B Emulator system updates include a group of software switches that perform the function of overrides, joystick function assignment, recording options, etc. The belas now have 32Gb sd cards so memory is available in which to store the library of shows.

And while we're on the moon, I had a first look at the second half of Dark Side. There are some passages of visual activity, and also some long segments where all the beams are off. I'm not sure if this means lumia effects only for these parts, or if some other projection hardware was filling in. I've posted a video of the guitar solo from any colour you like, in which can be seen someone puppeteering a slider long ago.

walking on the moon:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE6pdEMak7E

guitar solo:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6xYfyM2RvY
    ===========

For your viewing pleasure (and choreography clues) here is the performance of "Walking On The Moon" from Moonrock, pulled from the Laserium Archive. I have included only this number, though I do have the whole show on video... Please note that the "walker" at the bottom of the screen you see walking on the photographic moon was done with our argon cove-scanners, so this was duplicated 4x around the horizon of the planetarium. This one was a crowd pleaser.

https://media-archive.exploratorium....n_The_Moon.mp4

Moonrock was, IMHO, one of our best productions. Great mix of music, and Ivan personally worked on the choreography. In San Francisco, I sat with Ivan for HOURS in front of the console while he patiently coached me on what his vision of the graphics should look like. It's a time I look back on with great fondness. Thank you Ivan. We all miss you very much.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by ronhip View Post
    ===========

For your viewing pleasure (and choreography clues) here is the performance of "Walking On The Moon" from Moonrock, pulled from the Laserium Archive. I have included only this number, though I do have the whole show on video... Please note that the "walker" at the bottom of the screen you see walking on the photographic moon was done with our argon cove-scanners, so this was duplicated 4x around the horizon of the planetarium. This one was a crowd pleaser.

Moonrock was, IMHO, one of our best productions. Great mix of music, and Ivan personally worked on the choreography. In San Francisco, I sat with Ivan for HOURS in front of the console while he patiently coached me on what his vision of the graphics should look like. It's a time I look back on with great fondness. Thank you Ivan. We all miss you very much.

Ron
    I like the way the "feet" clip near the base of the dome due to your symmetry tweek...
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

===========

Ron
    Thanks for sharing Ron. What a great piece of choreography and eye candy. It really gives a peek into the magic of the hemispherical planetarium dome for a 3D effect.
    Last edited by lasermaster1977; 04-29-2023 at 13:01.

Quote Originally Posted by laserist View Post
    I like the way the "feet" clip near the base of the dome due to your symmetry tweek...
    I can't take credit for this performance. This was probably recorded in Studio 1. However, at Morrison, my "walking man" also had feet. I think we were overdriving something in the synthesizer, but that worked out to our advantage. Also note the addition of digital oscillator 3 to give the walker a bit of bounce and swagger, tuning the oscillator to make the beat frequency match the rhythm of the music. I always had fun with that too. Whoever did this recording (Scott?) did a masterful job jumping into and out of the craters as well as jumping over them. This was a really nice performance!

Ron

I can't take credit for this performance. This was probably recorded in Studio 1. However, at Morrison, my "walking man" also had feet. I think we were overdriving something in the synthesizer, but that worked out to our advantage. Also note the addition of digital oscillator 3 to give the walker a bit of bounce and swagger, tuning the oscillator to make the beat frequency match the rhythm of the music. I always had fun with that too. Whoever did this recording (Scott?) did a masterful job jumping into and out of the craters as well as jumping over them. This was a really nice performance!

Ron
    I just love this kind of comment. Here's a walker with feet and the digital oscillator 3 jaunty swagger, as described by Ron. I hadn't thought of that. I wondered how that was done. I was thinking joystick gain.

Also the threshold based color mod had no problem, I just hadn't tested it properly.

Video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjmjzlTZAhE

It turns out I made an error involving directories the first time I reviewed the tape of dark side of the moon so that only red was playing the correct data. This show is much more complete and interesting than at first it seemed. I have two other versions of dark side, one on 8 and one on 24 track ADAT. These may or may not include the same track of 352 data, but the 1/4" tape version currently under inspection is probably the oldest version and thus the best suited for bringing up on the 6b emulator. Again, much gratitude to the individual whose foresight, diligence, and generosity eventually resulted in me having this material. Ron, I respect your judgement in reserving the right time to reveal the various marvels of documentation from your archive. I have to ask though, if you have a PIN file for this show...

Default Dark Side PINs

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    It turns out I made an error involving directories the first time I reviewed the tape of dark side of the moon so that only red was playing the correct data. This show is much more complete and interesting than at first it seemed. I have two other versions of dark side, one on 8 and one on 24 track ADAT. These may or may not include the same track of 352 data, but the 1/4" tape version currently under inspection is probably the oldest version and thus the best suited for bringing up on the 6b emulator. Again, much gratitude to the individual whose foresight, diligence, and generosity eventually resulted in me having this material. Ron, I respect your judgement in reserving the right time to reveal the various marvels of documentation from your archive. I have to ask though, if you have a PIN file for this show...
    Greg,

Your wish is my command. I actually found two sets of pin notes in the archive. If this forum allows me to post PDF's, which I have had issues with in the past, they will be below.

Ron
    Attached Files Attached Files

As readers may have perceived, I have been searching out numbers from the catalog that exhibit usage of features in the 352 data frame that need to be developed and tested on the 6B Emulator. Here are software oscilloscope captures of aprox. 4 second slices of rock and roll by zeppelin. This number makes use of all 6 control inputs to the spiral board, which is now up for another round of testing and trouble shooting. Results to follow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RockNRoll_spiral_dynamics.png  

RockNRoll_spiral_dynamics2.png  

RockNRoll_spiral_dynamics3.png  

SpiralGenerator.jpg  

Here is a demo of the spiral generator with all six control input features working reasonably correctly, as far as I can tell.

rock and roll
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaXHj5reCjk

Some flattening asymmetry is seen when the spiral sweeps left, which still needs investigation.

Here's a list of the bus activity of the red channel for this song. The inverted spiral XY signal is available, but it can be seen that inverted spirals do not appear on the red channel during this number.

bus activity for red channel (song begin to end):

image source: 3 triangle audio mod
    image source: 0 fixed cycloid
    image source: 4 variable cycloid