Page 37 of 92 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast

Thread: CYGN-B

Quote Originally Posted by laserist View Post
    I looked but didn't see a single show with all of those numbers, it possible that a laserist edited their own best of show together.
    I remember hearing something about show tape splicing back then, yeah.

I wonder if anything is known or documented regarding the Choreographics computer that Ron mentioned. I'm guessing it is involved in the 3D effects seen in some of the online Laserium videos.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Shine on you crazy Diamond, Sheep , Learning to Fly were in there. My Dad hummed Danube for the hour and a half home from the first show. For some reason, probably the lyrics for "Sheep" I was not able to have a Pink Floyd Album
    Till I bought my own like 8 years later, from my own paycheck.

I think you nailed it Greg...

Thanks guys. But darn it I missed church because I watched that opening title and started putting my Wave-Usb into an enclosure to start recording from my console, and to be able to play back some of the "private collection".
    I needed some inspiration on a frozen day.

Thanks Gents, And Mr Hermit Sir, Welcome to PL.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

I went to the International Planetarium Society conference in 1994. Zeiss was introducing a line of Fluorite APO refractors for the amateur market, and we were the distributors in the US. I was in the Vendor area and had just wondered aloud if Laserium would be there - I turned around and there was Ivan. I went and said hi. I met the engineer who designed the Choreographics motherboard. It was about 9x17. I'd bet to fit in a 19" rack enclosure. I'd seen plenty of pc motherboards by that time and this thing was anything but a simple pc.

Neos was there with their PCAOMs and a AOM x/y scanner doing video. I don't remember the resolution.

There was a tour of AVI's place in Orlando where everything went really well.

Laserium's demo under the dome was postponed a day due to laser problems. The replacement arrived late in the afternoon, and the demo wasn't perfect. After the demo his team and I sat with Ivan at the bar and attempted to distract him while he awaited word on a surgery that his wife Carol was having that night.
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Sheep also appeared in The Beatles show in the number "Good Night".

I believe that the earliest scanned image in Laserium was the logo itself (Seen in the archive photo below, above the lumia). That little spiral at the top of the "L" is just the non-feedback scanner ringing, but we used that feature of the scanner!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	210008.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	135.9 KB 
ID:	58501

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    So, Which show had a clip of Pink Floyd's
    "Sheep"? Reason I'm asking is it is one of the
    first scanned graphic images I ever saw.

An outline frame of a white lamb appears in the center
    of the Dome, z rotates, then splits into offset RGBY sheep
    [Four scan heads] each sheep traveling outwards in a cardinal direction on the dome, does some rotates at the end of travel, and are slowly brought back to the center.
    This was at the Buhl in Pittsburgh. I was 14 or 15 at the time. I clearly remember the Mark Whatever hidden behind a drape by the door.. With a whitelight SP in it, so no excuses, fess up...

Steve

I don't think what you saw was the Choreographics card, that was the earlier 3D graphics computer whose name escapes me for the moment. Choreographics was a Nubus card that was installed in a Mac (We had a Mac IIsi at Morrison Planetarium). I do not, unfortunately, have any schematics or hardware documentation for Choreographics, but I do still have the manual, and most of the graphics used on Choreographics. I have attached the sales brochure for Choreographics below that describes the system pretty well.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by laserist View Post
    I went to the International Planetarium Society conference in 1994. Zeiss was introducing a line of Fluorite APO refractors for the amateur market, and we were the distributors in the US. I was in the Vendor area and had just wondered aloud if Laserium would be there - I turned around and there was Ivan. I went and said hi. I met the engineer who designed the Choreographics motherboard. It was about 9x17. I'd bet to fit in a 19" rack enclosure. I'd seen plenty of pc motherboards by that time and this thing was anything but a simple pc.

Neos was there with their PCAOMs and a AOM x/y scanner doing video. I don't remember the resolution.

There was a tour of AVI's place in Orlando where everything went really well.

Laserium's demo under the dome was postponed a day due to laser problems. The replacement arrived late in the afternoon, and the demo wasn't perfect. After the demo his team and I sat with Ivan at the bar and attempted to distract him while he awaited word on a surgery that his wife Carol was having that night.
    Attached Files Attached Files

By the way, while we are on the Laserium topic, I have preserved the original Laserium web site as an archive that you can get to at:

http://www.laserium.org

You may get a security warning because I refuse to pay for the SSL cert for this machine. It's safe, go there anyway. You will find all sorts of info including music lists, a small gallery, projector info, and lots more.

Ron

I thought it was the software that went by Choreographics then, but I submit it was long ago and a busy couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by ronhip View Post
    I don't think what you saw was the Choreographics card, that was the earlier 3D graphics computer whose name escapes me for the moment. Choreographics was a Nubus card that was installed in a Mac (We had a Mac IIsi at Morrison Planetarium). I do not, unfortunately, have any schematics or hardware documentation for Choreographics, but I do still have the manual, and most of the graphics used on Choreographics. I have attached the sales brochure for Choreographics below that describes the system pretty well.

Ron
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

There are some materials I received from Brian a while back that I haven't posted photos or questions regarding yet. One being a library of original show EPROMS, from which the DOGN and dogloid 6502 code was previously recovered. I assume that is the main item of interest in these chips, but I could be wrong. I'm posting a photo of the Inside Laserium Monitor chips. Comments on what this is or suggestions to recover other EPROM sections welcome.

It would be neat to recover that original Laserium logo which appears in the picture Ron posted. Suggestion for which chip to look for it on welcome.

I'm posting photos of the three rare chips needed for the Audio Mod board, which I have all the parts for now. The 8 pin one came courtesy of Brian.

I'm posting a block diagram of how I currently envision a system that could be used to perform live shows that could make use of as much of the clever Laserium technology and choreography as possible. I'm considering the USB device shown to provide the A & D control signals. Next week I'll have time to contact the supplier with questions, but it seems the max sample per second rate is 100 s/S. (Not 100k s/S. that device only has 4 16 bit 100kHz channels.) but 100 s/S is good for the A & D control signals.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails usb_signal_source.jpg  

AudioMod2.jpg  

AudioMod3.jpg  

system_block.png  

EPROM.jpg  

AudioMod1.jpg  

The original Laserium logo was done by the DOG card. The points were done on graph paper and input by hand. It probably wouldn't look very good on feedback scanners, since the ring on the retrace was part of its charm. I think the points are in the dog card documentation in hex. I'll check...

Sorry, I didn't have my coffee, it was the DPIG card. I don't think I have the documentation anymore. I think it was removed when the DYNADIG box was added.