Page 8 of 91 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: CYGN-B

Well, it would be interesting to have a look at certain algorithms present in some of those show's ROMs.

If the flying motion had a bit of a stair step it was likely the DOG card - if it was smooth it was Danube rotation. The Dog card had 8-bit DACs...

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I think maybe the "fly" motion appeared in the number "Duchess".
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

If memory serves, I think it was a slight high speed discreetness of it's motion that made it so pretty.

Tapes shipping tomorrow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ShowTape_Laserium79.jpg  

ShowTape_LaserockII.jpg  

The person I talked to at the studio that couldn't get their 4 track working mentioned "baking" these kind of tapes if there were shedding problems, but the tapes appeared to be in good condition, and played fine on the half track.

I can handle that, but Maxell had never had a recorded case of sticky shed as of 5 years ago...
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

I've access to environmental chambers so no problem in the worst case...

If I recall correctly, two characteristics of the spiral signal used in the earlier shows that make the effect different than digitally generated spirals used more recently, are the compression of the loops toward the origin, and the graceful flyback curve. Here are photos of a spiral circuit I built in the early 1990's that somewhat achieves these effects.

This circuit uses a high Q inductance of over one Henry that came from a Bell Labs speech synthesizer kit. It would be most interesting to find out any available details regarding the operation of the spiral generator in the 6b.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SpiralGeneratorOutput.jpg  

SpiralGeneratorCircuit.jpg  

Default Spiral retrace

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    If I recall correctly, two characteristics of the spiral signal used in the earlier shows that make the effect different than digitally generated spirals used more recently, are the compression of the loops toward the origin, and the graceful flyback curve. Here are photos of a spiral circuit I built in the early 1990's that somewhat achieves these effects.

This circuit uses a high Q inductance of over one Henry that came from a Bell Labs speech synthesizer kit. It would be most interesting to find out any available details regarding the operation of the spiral generator in the 6b.
    Greg,

I believe that the "real" spiral generator was a linear ramp with equal-spaced circular traces. There was a ringing KQO (Keyed Quadrature Oscillator) that was one of the choices in the fixed cycloids that did look like your spiral. 99.999% of the time, we blanked the retrace of the "real" spiral with the AOM (earlier in evolution of the projector) or PCAOM (in the later models of the projector. Of course, nowadays, you just shut down the laser diodes during the retrace.

Ron

PS. I remember (and built!) one of those telephone company speech synthesizers (well... formant synthesizers...)! Circuits on the cardboard box!

The original laserium spiral generator was a linear ramp where the in rate and out rate were independently controlled. At some point a Burr Brown 4302 was added to allow the laserist to adjust the shape of the ramp signal. I thought it was a pretty ugly effect in general, but I did used it occasionally.