Page 32 of 92 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast

Thread: CYGN-B

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Photo shows samples from the rebuilt 6b image generation circuits collection.
    Very impressive, Greg, nice work!

Quote Originally Posted by laserist View Post
    The photo with the pots & caps are joystick parts, there should be a round aluminum disk about an inch in diameter with a 1/4 inch hole on axis and a threaded radial hole in it for the joystick shaft, and a second threaded radial hole to lock it onto the y? axis pot. The L-brackets with the two 3/8 inch holes gets a hub with a setscrew that lets it clamp onto the x axis pot and the y axis pot goes through the other hole. The L-bracket with the 3/8 inch hold and the two threaded holes is the x axis pot mount. The pots pictured are 1mOhm reverse audio taper pots that turn the voltage follower on the JSGC into 1st order low pass filters for dampening. The mess of little aluminum parts and springs are mostly scan glass parts with a scattering of em-20 mounts and apertures. The little board is a JSGN - Joystick gain control board. It lived inside the joystick boxes, and controlled gain and offset of the joystick pots. It was designed backwards. They put the gain in front of the offset which made aligning the gain and offset an iterative process instead of an align the offset then align the gain process.
    swamidog and lasermaster1977, glad you find these updates interesting! Here's video from the previous test shoot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBsTfRdK1kA

Progress slowed due to the necessity of lots of soldering. Photo shows the colormod and chopper board, almost complete.

Previous contributions provided not one but two unpopulated CYGN-B boards. Someone had some foresight. No objections pending, I'll use one of these.

If anyone wants to scribble this goes here type of thing on the joystick parts photo...

I'm guessing there might be a schematic for something called JSGN which would undoubtedly be useful to have a look at. Ron?

James: I haven't given up on LiquidMath. It's one of the things I want to get to. Soldering is so much fun though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails update2.jpg  

update1.jpg  

update3.jpg  

update4.jpg  

update5.png  

The 1/8" thick L bracket with 1 - .375" hole, is for the x axis pot. The 1/8" L bracket with 2 - .375" holes gets a .375" hub in one hole to mount of the x axis pot's shaft. The y axis pot goes in the other hole. There should be a clamp with a .25" hole to attach to the y axis shaft, and the joystick shaft screws into the clamp. A tube slides over the joystick shaft, and the ball screws onto the shaft. There's a joystick gain control board for each joystick near the joystick, and a joystick generator card that generates the various joystick signals for the RYGB scan pairs located in the upper card cage.

I really need to get a package sent off - it includes a flash drive with the info you need.
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

More brief video clips featuring colormod and CYGN-B here:

https://youtu.be/kW2dbbgnSVU

The last clip shows a sweep of the fm depth of one "digital" oscillator from max to min.

This update is mainly about a cycloid I remember but haven't yet found in the hardware. It was used in the Yes number Awaken in Starship, and was like a circle of spirals. The photo shows some cycloids that are sort of like what I remember, but not quite the same thing. I thought it would be a low resonance KQO with a CYGN-B oscillator using FM to condense the points to a number of nodes around the circle. That doesn't seem to be the case though.

I haven't tried looking for this cycloid using the open loop galvos yet. Perhaps it will show up there.

A side note: My projector appears to have developed a failure in the Y axis. After a few minutes of running, the Y axis becomes jittery and distorted. The input signal looks fine on the oscilloscope.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6b_rebuild_what_was_Awaken.jpg  

I remember doing Awaken, but honestly not what I did. I loved Starship. I remember seeing Darryl Davis just knock Awaken out of the park in Studio A in Van Nuys, but I don't remember the image that time either. But it was infinitely slow - enveloping... The thing is - there were 4 scan pairs - spirals with damped joystick would be a really cool way to perform Awaken... And it would look like four spirals moving in a circle as you moved the joystick.
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

I remember doing Awaken, but honestly not what I did. I loved Starship. I remember seeing Darryl Davis just knock Awaken out of the park in Studio A in Van Nuys, but I don't remember the image that time either. But it was infinitely slow - enveloping... The thing is - there were 4 scan pairs - spirals with damped joystick would be a really cool way to perform Awaken... And it would look like four spirals moving in a circle as you moved the joystick.
    Nice to see your progress, Greg.

I miss the days of 4 pair scanners, RYGB, and the ability to set each pairs XY image polarities individually along with their quadrature DC joystick's polarity assignments. It added a fluid, visual synthetic 3D dimension that was magical.

I just got up and looked. I don't have a copy of Starship. So I can't look at the data and see what was intended. Considering the stuff I do have - I would have grabbed Starship if I saw it.

Great story. Great memories.

The CYGN-B PCB build is almost complete, with oscillators 1 and 3 done and tested.

I'm thinking the focus of my efforts should move toward something in the way of choreography. Perhaps it would be a good idea to rebuild the 352 infrastructure to the point where existing show tapes, some of which apparently still exist, and newly composed material could both be explored.

It was written:

I can send an unpopulated 352 pc board if you'd like one. I have some of the less available chips. The better way would be to employ a micro-controller and firmware. It's on my list, but I haven't even begun the prep work yet... While 8 bits was enough for Laserium (with really low pass filtering) going forward I'd want at least some 16 bit capability. And I really want the ability for selective real time editing of the data.
    I'm unfortunately having to miss a rare opportunity due to the technical details related to being not fully vaccinated at the time of a border crossing. My interest in continuing discussions and development, and hopefully meeting in real life is high. I'm sorry, I just really won't be able to cross the border in time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CYGN_B_PCB_build_1.jpg  

CYGN_B_PCB_build_2.jpg  

CYGN_B_PCB_build_3.jpg  

There's an unpopulated 352 board in the card cage that I'll have to disassemble to make the USPS's size limits. For some reason I thought the dual one shots used there were no longer made. It appears I was wrong about that. The rest are pretty standard op-amps and 74LS chips except it did use 2 - AD811 dual transistors. If you want to build a complete Laserium data system it was made up of 1 - 352 board, 2 AMUX boards, and 3 - DMUX boards. Each ADMX had a 1 to 8 analog switch and 8 sample/hold and low pass filters. Each DMUX had 2 - 8 bit shift registers with latched outputs if memory serves. All of the DMUX circuits could have fit on one board, but the 44 pin edge connectors were the limiting factor. The filter caps for the low pass filters that smoothed out the 8 bit - 40 samples a second artifacts of the analog signals took up most of the board space.

Sorry you can't make it to Buffalo, it would have been cool to meet up. Maybe some other time...

351 decoded 20 bytes 40 times a second. It was comprised of three different wavelength square wave pulses the root frequency was (I think...) 13440hz. A zero bit was one positive and one negative pulse (or negative and positive depending on the ending state of the previous bit) at the root freq. A one was one pulse at root/2 and either positive or negative depending on the ending state of the of the previous bit. The frame of 120 bits started and ended with two positive/negative pulses (or neg/pos...) At root/4.
    Attached graphic shows a fraction of a second excerpt of the 351 audio signal obtained by Brian from a 1/4" 4 track show tape. The tape has very low signal level, and the digital version of the signal shown has been multiplied by a large amount in an attempt to increase the gain.

The signal is from "Turn Me On" from Laserock2, during a part in which I'm pretty sure channel gains and beam kills were being controlled by the data.

Other photos show the 6b panel with vector board builds of the cycloid generators. This hardware could now be boxed and transported, and emerge ready to use. The CYGN-B card, as can be seen, has my counter reset circuit added in the top left corner. I installed the mosfet, resistor, and capacitor counter reset on power up scheme as given in the schematic, and shown in the photo of Ron's board, but the mosfets, as before, appear to conduct continuously without switching off, thus holding the associated counters in a reset mode. Perhaps the units I bought are no good.

Final photos show a couple of cycloids generated by combining the CYGN-B with a dogloid using parameters that were not available in the original rom.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails data351_graph.png  

CYGN-B_complete1.jpg  

CYGN-B_complete2.jpg  

CYGN-B_complete3.jpg  

CYGN-B_complete4.jpg  

CYGN-B_plus_DOGN_cycloid1.jpg  

CYGN-B_plus_DOGN_cycloid2.jpg  

CYGN-B_plus_DOGN_cycloid3.jpg