Page 31 of 91 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast

Thread: CYGN-B

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Good tip, the parts are on order. I should have thought to look.

Were the cmos + similar clock machine built, beside being a CYGN-A and B, would it expand in some way(s) on what the CYGN-B does?

The photo shows the flooring and slew of the output of osc2 when amplitude modulated with the sinusoid from osc1. These effects are not present when osc1 or 3 is amplitude modulated. I notice that the cycloid seen in the Laserium - Walking On The Moon video exhibits a flooring effect. I'm assuming that was done with the CYGN-B.
    The "flooring" you're seeing might be due to a problem in the AM signal applied to the summing amps after the Johnson counter. Since the output of the Johnson counter produces unipolar signals the AM circuit has to provide an offset to make it bipolar. If the offset doesn't get the signals to be symetrically bipolar you'll hit the rail when AM is turned up all of the way. The other possibility is the summing amp has too much gain, but in your image it looks like you're only hitting one rail...
    Last edited by laserist; 02-08-2021 at 01:35.
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Brian, sorry to waste your time thinking about a non-problem. I mentioned a few posts back:

The slew / flooring issue previously discussed was due, as Brian suggested, to my having to substitute a 50K pot for a 20K in the symmetry control.

I have a couple of 20K AB modpots on order and then the last CYGN-B issue will be resolved. James is helping me get the data logger .csv output converted to usable wave or ilda files, and then I should be able to provide CYGN-B and DOGN generated content for those interested to try on their projectors.

Other news: I finally had an uninterrupted talk with dsli_jon, and I have now heard the story of what has happened from about 2016 to the present.

The awesome panel Brian posted a photo of earlier in this thread now resides in a desk top rack mount stand (photos attached). I had to put the CYGN-B section beneath the main panel. I'm trying to get hold of my variac in order to bring up the illuminated controls.

Time to play name that hardware. Along with the panel, I received some hardware (photos attached), some of which I'm guessing (hoping) might be joystick related?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VIb_panel_restoration_progress.jpg  

VIb_panel_back.jpg  

CYGN-B_cycloids.jpg  

whats_this_2.jpg  

whats_this_3.jpg  

whats_this.jpg  

Brian, sorry to waste your time thinking about a non-problem. I mentioned a few posts back:

The slew / flooring issue previously discussed was due, as Brian suggested, to my having to substitute a 50K pot for a 20K in the symmetry control.

I have a couple of 20K AB modpots on order and then the last CYGN-B issue will be resolved. James is helping me get the data logger .csv output converted to usable wave or ilda files, and then I should be able to provide CYGN-B and DOGN generated content for those interested to try on their projectors.

Other news: I finally had an uninterrupted talk with dsli_jon, and I have now heard the story of what has happened from about 2016 to the present.

The awesome panel Brian posted a photo of earlier in this thread now resides in a desk top rack mount stand (photos attached). I had to put the CYGN-B section beneath the main panel. I'm trying to get hold of my variac in order to bring up the illuminated controls.

Time to play name that hardware. Along with the panel, I received some hardware (photos attached), some of which I'm guessing (hoping) might be joystick related?
    The photo with the pots & caps are joystick parts, there should be a round aluminum disk about an inch in diameter with a 1/4 inch hole on axis and a threaded radial hole in it for the joystick shaft, and a second threaded radial hole to lock it onto the y? axis pot. The L-brackets with the two 3/8 inch holes gets a hub with a setscrew that lets it clamp onto the x axis pot and the y axis pot goes through the other hole. The L-bracket with the 3/8 inch hold and the two threaded holes is the x axis pot mount. The pots pictured are 1mOhm reverse audio taper pots that turn the voltage follower on the JSGC into 1st order low pass filters for dampening. The mess of little aluminum parts and springs are mostly scan glass parts with a scattering of em-20 mounts and apertures. The little board is a JSGN - Joystick gain control board. It lived inside the joystick boxes, and controlled gain and offset of the joystick pots. It was designed backwards. They put the gain in front of the offset which made aligning the gain and offset an iterative process instead of an align the offset then align the gain process.

My next shipment will be an Augat wire wrap 6U euro board that I started back in 2012 before I pivoted to fixing and using a 35 year old 6b console with a 20 year old CS projector for my experiment. ION! I intended it to replace the multiplexer/multiplier, image rotation, multiplier, and summing amp with offset cards. Even if the form factor isn't to your tastes - the chips are worth something.
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Photo below.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210208_173901685.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	3.05 MB 
ID:	57639

Output from the CYGN-B and DOGN appears to be recording faithfully using the data logger. Attached screen captures show dogloid signals. Captured data is exported to a .csv file, which is reformatted and frames defined for input to James' software using a command line utility I wrote. Thanks James for discerning the format spec. .ild files coming soon.

Also I have most of the parts now for the CYGN-A and the SPGN. Builds starting soon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DACQ_DOGN_1.png  

DACQ_DOGN_2.png  

LaserBoy_DOGN_3lines.png  

LaserBoy_DOGN_crystal.png  

LaserBoy_DOGN_orbit.png  

Saving that as ilda is simply a matter of making sure there are fewer than 65536 veticies in each frame and saving it. If you look in menu x from main you can choose to save it as either format 1 or format 5. If you want you can also force it to save as 3D data, even if it is 2D. So you could save it as either format 0 or 4. There are also many ways to add color to your frames before you save them.

You can also scale it and center it as a whole frame set or as individual frames as a percentage of the volume of the cube of finite space defined by 16-bit short integers.

Actually, you can choose to keep the origin of your data (0, 0, 0) fixed to LaserBoy space origin or allow LaserBoy to ignore your date's origin and just center your data (per file) before you import the txt file. Also in menu x.

If you are dealing with a long string of unframed vertices and you are breaking that up into frames, you might want to repeat the last vertex of one frame as the first vertex of the next frame. That way you won't miss any vectors. A vector is the line between two consecutive vertices. A frame break will mean that the last vertex of a frame can only be the destination end of a vector and the first vertex can only be the anchor end of a vector. You don't get the vector between those points because they're not in the same frame.
    Last edited by james; 02-18-2021 at 08:13.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

I have a 6Mb .ild file ready to post. It contains three dogloids and a sample from the CYGN-B. Anyone know, is it ok to post .ild files here in the PL threads?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DOGN_CYGNB_recording_test.jpg  

Wanted to get this complete before beginning the SPGN build.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mixing_modules.jpg  

mixing_modules_2.jpg  

mixing_modules_3.jpg  

Photo shows samples from the rebuilt 6b image generation circuits collection.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6b_rebuild_images_with_colormod.jpg  

swamidog is offline Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Photo shows samples from the rebuilt 6b image generation circuits collection.
    absolutely fantastic!

i'd love to see some video when you get a chance.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.