Thread: laser mapping of biological systems

Default laser mapping of biological systems

Does anyone recall what the laser system (and company) is that uses lasers to map in very detailed 3D image of a biological system. I remember a very long time ago watching a show where serial killers would donate their bodies to science and this one company (maybe it was a DOE lab) would use lasers to slice such thin pieces that they would disintegrate when they were taken but that part would be mapped, once it was done you had a map of the entire body.

This could be done with other biological systems to reverse engineer nature.

This would have very likely been a CO2 laser but how was it mapping at the same time it was cutting?

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

lLasers are not used for slicing the body, but it is likely confocal microscopy.
    Do it every week at work as I maintain a six color confocal and train the users. We can see 200-300 um deep into tissue and make 3 maps on the cellular level. The other technique is optical tomography.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    lLasers are not used for slicing the body, but it is likely confocal microscopy.
    Do it every week at work as I maintain a six color confocal and train the users. We can see 200-300 um deep into tissue and make 3 maps on the cellular level. The other technique is optical tomography.

Steve
    Huh, so it looks like they were not using lasers, at least not to produce a 3D computer model that looks like a solidworks model of the entire body ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visible_Human_Project