Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dead Red Diode?

A diode is 28.00 from dtr. 35.00 mounted with optic. A driver is 28.00 on eBay from xwoosie. Then you just need to wire it in to the power supply and modulation. 4 wires maybe 5 if interlocked. You sound like someone who can build a mount to hold the mounted diode in place. 500mw will make very little heat. Mess around a bit and for under 75.00 your done.

you can likely find a 500mw module on eBay in box with driver for 100.00. Then beam height is the only issue.

if you want to do a little more work you can get a better red. Find the 250mw 660nm diodes and double them up. They will be less bright but the color much nicer. Drive them a little harder to make up the difference. My favorite compromise is the 642nm single mode diodes if still made. The beam is beautiful and the freq a bit brighter to the eye. Very close to krypton red.

ill try to find links for all this later today. Fear not this isn’t hard nor expensive.

Wow! Great info, thanks so much. I'm really clueless with diode lasers, never looked inside the module. I guess one simply unscrews the bolts and all is revealed. Just dropping in another diode would be great if that's the fix.

Got to be not too bad at aligning our krypton 7 scan set LFI 0th order projectors to get the oranges and the browns, so redoing the beam height is not too scary, it's just that finding and squeezing in new alignment mirrors would be something I would like to do only if necessary. Unfortunately it's Warp 9 with my hair on fire at the moment. Have a deadline with bunch of Fulldome video that has to be stitched and edited. We have enough other RGB systems in the shows that they can still run, but I hate having that projector with no red!

It's maybe a 9pin Dsub coming off the card to the module and I think it looked pretty busy when we peeked. I'll snoop around your parts source suggestions and find some time to have another look at the card today.

Folks have been so helpful..thanks again.

Default Reopening & Red Diode Still Dead

Who knew a couple of months after my last post our Planetarium would be shutdown till now! The Institute was very cautious with capacity, now back to 90% pre Covid.

One of our 2016 Able 2.5 watt lasers has a red module that stopped outputting light. Probably has only 400 to 500 hrs on it. With 30yrs on LFI Rainbow systems. I can rouge the Brewsters, walk the tube for best colour, replace the pass bank transistors, align the beams off the A/O crystal but nowadays it's like being skilled with a buggy whip. :-) Floyd and Casey have all moved on.

3W RGB systems are now pretty cheap but it seems like a shame to toss the projector when everything else is OK.

Zenodilodon YT videos are great, but my module has three diodes to get 500 mw. Lotta dancing for 500mw. Ill try and attach a couple of shots of the module. Exit beam height about 28 mm. If anyone might suggest where i could test with a meter to see if it's the driver or the diodes it would be great.

thanks in advance.

Craig

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	500mwModule1.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	60047 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	500mwModule2.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	60048

Default Zenodioldon to the rescue.

It's not a walk in the park, but Zenodilodon has been a great help. Narrowing it down.