Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dead Red Diode?

Default Dead Red Diode?

One of our 4 yr old Able 2.5w RGB systems has a 500mw red diode that was slow to come on for a while and then gradually just quit showing up. Opened the unit up and was hoping for a bad connection. Sprayed and reseated everything I could get to, including the brightness trim pot on the back but no luck.

Wondering is it the diode, or a component on the card? The coax 5v connector going to the card shows a good 5v, but my electronics knowledge here is just at the "monkey see, monkey do" level. More familiar with the old gas ion Spectra's and Coherents.

In a perfect world it would be possible to just get another 500 mw or even 1w red diode with the same exit beam height and just swap it out and plug in the Dsub connector. Don't want to go too bright 'cause it might start stepping on the 360 video in the dome.

Have attached a shot of the diodes.

Thanks in advance for anyone's hints on this.

Craig
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Able_RGB_Diodes.jpg  

Looks like CNI laser sources.

Greetings
    Poul Moeller - Laser Power ApS Denmark.

Quote Originally Posted by Slide View Post
    One of our 4 yr old Able 2.5w RGB systems has a 500mw red diode that was slow to come on for a while and then gradually just quit showing up. Opened the unit up and was hoping for a bad connection. Sprayed and reseated everything I could get to, including the brightness trim pot on the back but no luck.

Wondering is it the diode, or a component on the card? The coax 5v connector going to the card shows a good 5v, but my electronics knowledge here is just at the "monkey see, monkey do" level. More familiar with the old gas ion Spectra's and Coherents.

In a perfect world it would be possible to just get another 500 mw or even 1w red diode with the same exit beam height and just swap it out and plug in the Dsub connector. Don't want to go too bright 'cause it might start stepping on the 360 video in the dome.

Have attached a shot of the diodes.

Thanks in advance for anyone's hints on this.

Craig

It's been my experience that when a diode fails it fails. Perhaps a power on delay circuit is the culprit...
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Default China

Quote Originally Posted by Laserpower View Post
    Looks like CNI laser sources.

Greetings
    Poul Moeller - Laser Power ApS Denmark.
    Yes Able is a mainland company.

Thx,

Craig

Default Diode Failure

Thx, first time I've had one fail. There is a short power-on delay on the unit, but it seemed to delay all three diodes uniformly.

I was hoping I could just track down a replacement diode that would drop in without a bunch of alignment dancing. I have no idea what a 500mw or 1w Chinese red diode might cost these days though. Of course if the card is bad I've still got the problem.

Maybe I'll have another look inside again. It's so jam packed in there it's hard to get at anything though.

Thanks again,
    Craig

I should at least use the correct terminology, sorry. It would be a laser module that needs replacing, not just the diode

Craig

The module can be fixed but its only a 500mw source wich cost nothing these days. However Able doesn,t sell modules but they might help you and sell you a replacement one.

I can fix the one you have by replacing the diode and also you get a new driverboard so then its just install it back and connect power and modulation. Price for the repair would be 600usd.

Kind regards

Johan

Interested in 6-12W RGB projectors with low divergence? Contact me by PM!

Thanks for the service offer. I may wind up going that route. I'll poke around on the card a bit more first to see if it's anything obvious.

Just curious, does anyone know if there is any convention on a standard height for the exit beam from various laser modules, or is each manufacturer different.

Beamheight is different from each manufacturer. Most manufacturers have a beamheight of 28mm some a bit more. We have 34mm for example. There is no real standard to it.

Interested in 6-12W RGB projectors with low divergence? Contact me by PM!

Thanks for the info. Who was it that said "the nice thing about standards is that we have so many"😏