Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LaserCube

Default LaserCube

What do yall think about the LaserCube? Looks like a fun toy. I would like to use Touchdeisgner to create shows with this but Not sure if it's compatible.

https://www.wickedlasers.com/cube

... check the energy and safety specs -- seems to be one of this "toys", which regularly pops up and vanishes pretty fast again

Viktor
    Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - https://reprap.org/forum/list.php?426
    Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - https://reprap.org/forum/list.php?425

It seems to be basically a LaserDock that is small and battery patterned. Based on that I assume it is compatible with my software (Spaghetti) but it isn't listed on their webpage.

Kumpula had a lasercube on display in the cafeteria at SELEM this year. Cool little unit, although the color balance is massively blue-heavy. Still, when you turn the blue down to get a reasonable white you still have a nice 300-ish mw projector, and it's battery-powered, which is pretty unique. I don't know that I'd want one as my only projector, but the portability aspect of the thing is admittedly enticing.

Adam

Still not varianced, it would seem...
    Runs with Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    It seems to be basically a LaserDock that is small and battery patterned. Based on that I assume it is compatible with my software (Spaghetti) but it isn't listed on their webpage.
    I recently confirmed with them that the laserdock libraries are indeed compatible with the cube as well.

Yes, I have got one of these (sent to me as a sample for comment/testing purposes). Although I've spoken with several folks about it and demo'd it a couple times, I have been meaning to post a proper review so allow me to do that now.

Let me start by saying I am impressed for the most part. This is not a solution for 'serious laserists' by any means, but it is a fun and versatile toy and even an important tool in the hands of the right person. Here are some quick pros and cons based on my limited testing to date:

Pros:
    Form Factor: It's small. Damn small! I've built really small builds, but this one includes a DAC and a couple LiPo batteries too! CountFunkula and I took it apart a couple months ago and were impressed that they managed to jam as much as they could into a nice solid case. The power to charge the batteries (or run it continuously) is still external, but who cares?!

Beam Quality: The red and the green are single mode diodes and the blue is multimode. Beam overlap at a few feet is pretty good. Beam overlap for reds and greens is very good beyond that as well, but that blue multimode diverges as quick as you'd expect out of a multimode diode. Personally, I'd swap out the multimode blue for a single mode blue for better color balance and better overall beam quality.

Safety: Wicked Lasers is obviously trying here. There is an interlock connector although a kill switch does not come with the unit. There is an adjustable aperture cover that covers from the bottom of the aperture to the top. There is a key switch which requires that the switch must be turned to the off position and then turned on before it will lase. The key properly cannot be removed in the on position. By default, the software will start in the "Laser Off" mode. All of these settings make eye damage less likely, but like any laser this can still be as dangerous as that BB gun you wanted for Christmas when you were 11.

Noise: There are no fans in this baby! It is also sealed, so other than some slight sounds from the galvos, its very quiet.

Software: This is the most important feature in my humble opinion. Wicked Lasers has worked really hard to make this a versatile product for a target audience of non-laserists. Personally, I think this would be great for home parties and small DJ gigs where you want 'auto-modes' to cycle between a wide variety of abstracts, animations, still-pics, beams, and such. (Keep it away from kids and idiots so no one gets hurt!) The software allows for a wide variety of effects to be applied to each of these items to the beat of the music (color/size/brightness/etc.). It is easy to weed-out particular animations/abstracts/stills that you don't want to be brought up in rotation or at random. In addition, there are several games, an oscilloscope-ish mode, an engraving sub-app, graphics, beam-harp, MIDI mode, a balloon targeting/popping thing and more. The videos on Wicked Lasers site cover many of these software features in action. They have also been aggressively updating the software for the past few years to add more to it.

Accessories: Wicked Lasers didn't skimp on the accessories. The USB to mini-USB cord for example, is at least three meters long. It comes with a beautiful/solid tripod. The best small tripod I've ever seen, in fact. It also comes with an array of diffraction lenses (circle burst, grid burst and a heart) and a focusing lens for the engraving sub-app. These fit on smartly using the aperture cover screws. A proper showerglass lumia lens would be a good addition in my opinion to combine with the automated 'beam shows' that go along with the music.

Compatibility with Third Party Software/Products: The DAC included in the Lasercube is compatible with several third party products including LaserShowExpress (LSX), Maxwell, the Radiator, Modulaser, etc.

Cons:
    Color Balance: As Buffo said, the LaserCube is blue heavy (or Red/Green light . .). Again, I'd sacrifice overall power to get better color balance and beam quality. Swapping out that multimode blue for a single mode that does ~250mw would make for an excellent balance in my opinion.

US Legality: This projector isn't varianced in the US at the time I'm writing this, but I understand they are working on it. I have heard of people getting them through other countries, but you run the risk of it getting seized if you do.

Scanners: These units have cheap scanners. I didn't run a test pattern through them, but my guess is they are equivalent in quality to cheap "20Kpps" scanners from China. These units only have a +12V power source, so I wouldn't expect high-performing scanners regardless. This said, for most of the abstract content, the scanners aren't bad. Personally, I'd also take more time to optimize the games and graphics included in the software.

Overall Take-Aways: The LaserCube isn't going to compete on the hardware or software front for 'serious laserists'. If you want to be a professional laserists, I would advise you to buy professional tools (software/projectors) from folks like Pangolin, X-Laser USA, Kvant, etc. If however, you know a DJ (in a country where this device is legal) who does small gigs and would like to have some automated / semi-automated stuff going on in the background or someone that wants to have fun with a relatively inexpensive laser/software combo, this is a very cool device.

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Thanks for the review. I saw one in action at the UKLEM as well and it's been on the radar for awhile. The fact you can run shows from your phone on a battery powered device to demo for people who don't know what you're talking about when you get to talking about lasers, is pretty impressive.
    PM Sent...

I first saw this at the UKLEM earlier this year, then again at the PLASA exhibition. Like others have said, it’s reasonably well built, and the beams convergence is quite good for such a low-cost and compact little projector.

There are two different power levels available; 1W and 2W. The 2W differs in being physically a little bit deeper on one side. I wasn’t too concerned about not having the extra power, so opted for the most compact version, so it’s easier and lighter to carry with me to training sessions.

I did order many of the accessories, which included a set of three lumia, that can each be secured to the output window. One accessory that wasn’t available at the time was the e-stop. But that is easy enough source and add locally, and connect via the interlock connect.

One thing I was impressed by was that it has a manual reset feature implemented, (as is required for all Class 4 laser products), which prevents the projector from just outputting light, if it’s simply turned on, and the keyswitch is already on for example, or following an interlock interruption. – The are few manufacturers of ‘professional’ laser projectors that are still refusing to do this, (which is an IEC requirement).

When connected to a PC/Mac/Phone it shows up as a LaserDock device, due to it having a LaserDock built into the device itself. So is compatible with the increasing range of thirdparty laser control software offerings that support LaserDock. It, of course, also works with its own LaserOS suite of tools.

The scanners are OK, which coupled with the LaserOS software provides users with a system that can project respectable graphics, text, and beam shows. LaserCube also has some other applications it can be used for, out the box. The scan angle is not as wide as we’re used to on professional system, nor can you expect the crispness of a pro system. But remember this whole laser system costs less than a single CTI scanner.

All in all, it’s a great little introductory laser system for those getting interested in lasers. It has the ‘cute’ factor too, fitting into the hand. For those with professional systems already, it will probably be more of a novelty, but being battery powered and highly portable, there could be some use cases for it.

Inside, it has been quite well designed, and on a recent post https://www.facebook.com/pg/LaserSaf...=page_internal, there were some complimentary comments about the design engineer behind LaserCube.

For once we have a low-cost product that impresses more than it doesn’t.

James
    Laser Safety
    https://www.lvroptical.com
    https://www.facebook.com/LaserSafety

- Laser Show Safety Training & Audience Scanning Workshops.
    - Effects Assessment, and Realtime MPE Measurement
    - Pangolin PASS System Integrator

David (or James)

Is there a way to adjust the projection zone geometry in the latest version of LaserOS?
    I bought one of the LaserDock DACs when they first came out and used it on actual gigs a couple of times, but then when they revamped the software, suddenly the zone geometry adjustment options disappeared (or at least, I couldn't find them!)

That was a deal breaker and I haven't looked at it since, so wondered if it had re-appeared or been made a bit more obvious?
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.