Thread: Really Old Spectra-Physics 124

Default Really Old Spectra-Physics 124

This one is a real classic and classy laser! Introduced in 1966, the model 124 was part of the "Stabilite" series that included the 120, 122, and 123, and was characterized by the "L" shaped resonator common to them all.

This one is really old and must be from the very early years. Notice the cover that clamps on instead of using bolts, the beam pointing adjustment assemblies at both ends, and the cross-bar feet. The tube and optics are not original, but dayum .... this one made my month! Everyone used SP-124a or 124b lasers in school. All holographers from the '70s to the end of the century came across them. My finger couldn't hit the "Buy It Now" button fast enough.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SP-124 System oldest.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	181.8 KB 
ID:	56180Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SP-124 rear oldest.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	303.0 KB 
ID:	56181Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SP-124 front oldest.jpg 
Size:	284.4 KB 
ID:	56182Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SP-124 head oldest.jpg 
Size:	203.3 KB 
ID:	56183

Default Early SP-124

Yeah that’s one of the oldest ones too, right after the pre/early release stage. I have one of those two that has a prism backend optic and the original boost module. I also have one of the original 122 Proto types that has the filament in it instead of a cold cathode. It looks like that one has been given a new tube and ballast from later on, which isn’t surprising given how old it is. She’s a keeper!

Reminds me that I actually have the pre-release manual that’s intended to go with these... I still need to scan it to pdf...

Is it still operational? Does it lase? If yes than it will probably be the oldest operational laser at the moment.

It isn’t the original tube. The originals have the ballast resistors sealed in the tube envelope. I also noticed it’s missing the window to mirror seals. It looks like it has been reworked at some point