Thread: Mamba black and 2 LPT DACs

Default Mamba black and 2 LPT DACs

Hi all,

Someone have tested the mamba black software by Medialas with 2 LPT dac (on 2 different parallel ports)?
    I mean 2 projectors driven by cheap LPT dac's (max506 as suggested or Guido's dac or else) and controlled by 2 different tracks of mamba ?

...It works ?

Regards

Andrew

I have not tried it but see no reason why it would not work as there is provison in mamba to select 2 Parallel port addresses. You would just need a pci parallel port adaptor (as well as standard one) se to the right address.

Rob

Hi Rob,

I'm asking that cause if you don't install specific driver for a output like usb interface or pci card, the only option you have in the field "output device" is a "standard device" and a channel number to choose. But i don't understand how assign a channel to the LPT port.

I'll do 2 lpt dacs and i'll try, but if someone more expert about mamba black can explain me, i'll appreciate that.

Andrew

Cool

You might want to send a PM to OldGrumpy and suggest that he investigate this thread. He ought to be able to answer your question; he's the guy that's doing the programming for Mamba Black now.

I understand your question, and like you I'm not sure that it's even possible to use more than a single parallel-port DAC with Mamba Black. Honestly I never had much luck with the parallel port configuration interface anyway. I tried to get my Alphalite to work with it, but failed.

Adam

Adam,

I had issues with the Mamba built in parallel port driver.
    It did not allow you to catenate red, green, blue and composite blanking TTL signals in the same write. This made it incompatible with any DAC that uses a latch to set R, G, B in the same port write. The closest you can get is one colour only on the combined blanking line.

I ended up writing an MLD driver (Medialas dll) to drive an Alphalite (ish) compatible DAC from Mamba. If you want I can send you the file to try....

Robin

Cool

Hi Robin;

Great! I'd love to give it a try. You can send it to buffomounie@gmail.com. (Note: you can't include any executables, even if they're zipped. Gmail will strip them. Use RAR if you need to include an exe file.)

Did you ever actually try it with an Alphalite, or only with the other Parallel port dac you alluded to?

Adam

Hi Adam,

Only tested with the parallel DAC - but the parallel DAC has been tested with alphalite & it works that way round.

Email sent.... hope it works out.
    Robin