Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hello All, Laser Question/Help

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

If not - we can plan to get together soon. I'm a *little* jammed until the end of the month (at least a lot of next week) but then free time should open up considerably.
    PM Sent...

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    If not - we can plan to get together soon. I'm a *little* jammed until the end of the month (at least a lot of next week) but then free time should open up considerably.
    I have not had much time to test this but I did end up getting it pulled up on the software but I am not sure what it was doing but what it displayed showed nothing similar to the what it was supposed to. I will try to look at it some more shortly.

Thank you all for you input and knowledge on this, hopefully it will prevent me from destroying these new galvos. I will report back shortly I hope.

Been a while! I had done a few tests with this and without any optimization the test image looks like crap. I think I would love to upgrad the galvos at some point in the future, but I feel it would not be as simple as plug and play so I am a little nervous. So until then, I have what I have . Maybe at some point I will buy a good brand laser so I don't have to tinker so much. Only problem is, I have no ambition to become more than a hobbyist so I will never make a return on investment. I guess that is what hobbies are for! Thanks for everyones help with this mess! See you all around.

Hey all, not sure if anyone still follows this thread but I was looking to get my scanners upgraded to the Scannermax 506's. Not sure if anyone had any insight on this upgrade and what configuration to get from them. I was going to shoot an email over to them for a quote but I supposed it would be best to get the amps, psu, and glavos?

Any insight would be appreciated. I didn't want to make another thread for this but suppose I could if need be.

If you want to go with ScannerMax scanners, there is a group buy going on right now for the Compact 506 scanners from ScannerMax (a division of Pangolin). Here is the link to the thread: https://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/showthread.php/28011-Group-Buy-Compact-506-with-Mach-DSP?

Note that the special group-buy price ($750) is only good through the end of this month. You will probably want the 4 mm aperture mirrors for your projector. And you will need a power supply, because the one in your projector is not enough to power the Compact 506 scanners. Pangolin will sell you an appropriate power supply for an extra $50. (See the group buy thread for details.)

Adam

Ohh wow, what perfect timing. I may hop on that! I think I have the aptitude to figure out how to get these installed.

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    If you want to go with ScannerMax scanners, there is a group buy going on right now for the Compact 506 scanners from ScannerMax (a division of Pangolin). Here is the link to the thread: https://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/showthread.php/28011-Group-Buy-Compact-506-with-Mach-DSP?

Note that the special group-buy price ($750) is only good through the end of this month. You will probably want the 4 mm aperture mirrors for your projector. And you will need a power supply, because the one in your projector is not enough to power the Compact 506 scanners. Pangolin will sell you an appropriate power supply for an extra $50. (See the group buy thread for details.)

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post

Adam
    The only reason to purchase wider mirrors is for a fatter/wider beam, correct? The current mirrors in the projector measure about 6.75mm on the width, should I still go with 4mm? It looks like you can acheive faster scan speeds with smaller mirrors but I do not want to limit myself for future upgrades unless there is an easy way to just change the mirrors.

Thanks for your help and suggestions

When someone says 4mm mirrors, they mean that the mirrors are large enough to handle an incoming beam of that diameter across the rotation range of that galvo. The wider the galvo can rotate (e.g. 30 degrees optical), the larger the mirror needs to be to not have some of the beam 'spill off' at it's extreme rotation angle. Without doing the math, I'm not sure how much mechanical rotation can be achieved with 6.75mm mirrors before some of a 4mm beam spills off the edge of the mirror, but I know that Pangolin did their math on their mirror dimensions so when they say 3mm or 4mm or whatever, you'll get something that can perform accordingly.

Happy shopping!

-David

Quote Originally Posted by jdavis7765 View Post
    The only reason to purchase wider mirrors is for a fatter/wider beam, correct? The current mirrors in the projector measure about 6.75mm on the width, should I still go with 4mm? It looks like you can acheive faster scan speeds with smaller mirrors but I do not want to limit myself for future upgrades unless there is an easy way to just change the mirrors.

Thanks for your help and suggestions
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Okay, finalized the deal with the new Scanner Max galvos and now for a game plan. Currently you see the laser in the pictures in this post. I just want to get an understanding on how to do this. Just a few questions.

1. I can basically bypass all the current circuitry for the current galvo setup and basically just use the X/Y (I know there is more to it) from the ILDA port to the input of the driver?
    2. Is there an "easy" way to keep the current control setup with SD card and display? I presume there is more pictures and information to be able to determine this. I am more than happy not to use any of this especially if it will be a can of worms to get working.
    3. When I get the galvo set I am sure I will be tweaking a bit to mount it inside the body (not a 1 to 1 swap)? Is there anything I can do to make this easier, tools I need to buy (tap and die)?
    4. Do I need to buy any specific connectors to make this cleaner than soldering wires together?
    5. The scan angle adjustment knob (potentiometer), is this easy to keep using? Is it just a matter of input and output x/y?

That's all the questions I can think of for right now, just want to make sure I know how to proceed better.

Thanks again all! I can't wait to get started.

Hey jDavis,

A few notes on our scanners:

Drawing can be found here (connectors on your scanners will be different). Note the beam entry height and see how it compares to yours:

https://www.scannermax.com/pdf/4mm_W...m_Assem_RH.PDF

The Mach DSP comes with power and input harnesses that are 16" long. Soldering would be best.

The standard position input for Mach DSP is +- 10v, this can be configured to anything you want it to be with our software.

- - - Updated - - -

And wow, I just realized how old that drawing is. Really need to re do it.... no spacer needed any longer, I made the X mount deeper.
    Thanks,
    Sincerely,
    Ryan Smith
    ScannerMAX Mechanical Engineer
    ryan {at} scannermax.com