Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Making High Quality PCB's Fast And Cheap.

Express PCB is pretty good. The only downside to them is that they don't accept/produce gerber files. If you are working with Gerber files, and just need a 1-off or small amount, I would suggest Batchpcb. The wait time is a pain (3 weeks), but you get high-quality boards for really cheap.

The idea of the thread is to bring out what ideas people have for making their own. Still, those two firms are good recommendations, as is pcbart or pcbcart or whatever it is, if you want more than just a couple of boards.

If Gerber isn't wanted, what is? Bitmaps?

I'm still wanting to hear from people what they have managed in making their own though. There are always things not exploited often, like plotters for direct drawing to copper. Bound to be a few good things out there not yet considered much, or used.

Many years ago when i worked in the PCB industry i used to do alot of the pre processing of artworks, which basically meant that i had to convert each board from the customers format ( Pads, easypc etc.. ) to the industry gerber format, then do design rule checking and remove any glaring errors, then make the artwork using our photo plotter or our gerber laser plotter onto photographic film ...

my Dream then ( specialy for the prototyping customers ) was to have a laser plotter with a CO2 laser that removed the copper, but then the cost would have been scary,

Now this was over 20 years ago, so i guess there are these in the indutry now, if not someone should make one,

next project for you Doc

all the best ... Karl

These 3 keywords don't really go together for a DIY setup:

Quality
    Fast
    Cheap

But, if I had to build boards at home I would either go the laser printer transfer method or invest in building a CNC router.

Karl, I like it. I'd considered a fibre, but that opens up various wavelengths, and CO2 is a nice idea. I have no idea what's actually best for copper and not burning FR4 though.

Gary, true, but that's the point. Cheap and quality can be had. The two main contenders seem to be direct plotting using Staedtler Lumocolour permanent inks, and toner transfers from laser printer bitmaps direct from paper. For prototyping, no doubt the plotter wins, but I suspect the toner transfer has the edge for quantity and speed in home industry runs.

Why build a CNC router? I'm probably missing stuff but if all you really need is an X/Y placement, and a Z axis command to lower a tool or enable some localised process, adapting a plotter is the ideal. The more industrial ones can cope with cutting tools, but even the cheapest can cope with a pen or two, possibly of our own devising, and maybe a laser fibre...

Edit: As I think it, copper is actually not good for cutting with CO2 lasers, I think it's actually used as steering mirrors for strong CO2 lasers, though in a pure form, and probably coated. But that leads to yet another offtopic thought of GREAT interest. If some small laser can vapourise copper that easily, might it be the basis of some DIY copper vapour laser? Something perhaps easier to manage than the current form? Rhetorical question, no doubt if that IS a goer, it has already been done by Clarendon labs in Oxford or similar place.
    Last edited by The_Doctor; 08-29-2007 at 07:08.

Ok .... someone 20 years ago has been peeking at my dreams

did a quick google search and found this

http://www.lpkfusa.com/video/pl100.wvx

Minimum track width is 50uM

pretty damn neat

all the best ... Karl
    Last edited by Banthai; 08-29-2007 at 07:41.

"Why build a CNC router? I'm probably missing stuff but if all you really need is an X/Y placement, and a Z axis command to lower a tool or enable some localised process, adapting a plotter is the ideal. The more industrial ones can cope with cutting tools, but even the cheapest can cope with a pen or two, possibly of our own devising, and maybe a laser fibre..."

If you have one of those industrial plotters then that's cool. But who does? You can find lots of plans for CNC routers/mills on the internet (although you have to pay for the plans) and when you are done you can use it for a lot of stuff that a modified plotter couldn't do. There are a lot of side to side forces when using circular cutters that a plotter might not be designed to handle.

As for cnc router stuff you don't have to pay for plans if you don't want to. I have built several. There is also some good free software and lots of hobby level stuff to you up and running. I use a cnc mill for drilling the through holes.

I personally (for simple boards) use pre exposed boards and the laser printer to print on transparency. Then uv expose the board- then etch. I also converted over to mostly smd and have no problems making boards for 44 pin qfp.

I use eagle pcb for the design, like it a lot. For real boards I use expresspcb. they are about 15 miles away so for me they are a logical choice.

I always wanted to do a direct to copper thing too. I was thinking along the lines of a dye-sub or a thermal wax transfer version.

chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by carmangary View Post
    These 3 keywords don't really go together for a DIY setup:

Quality
    Fast
    Cheap

Pick any two...
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

TOTAL FAILURE!

I smashed the plotter on the strength of it, it was disgusting. I shouldn't have wasted my time, or any of yours. I shall not post again.
    Last edited by The_Doctor; 09-23-2007 at 05:34.