Thread: New York State Laser Light Show

Default New York State Laser Light Show

Hey Everyone!

I was incredibly excited to purchase a pair of laser projectors until I found out that living in New York State severely limited my abilities to run laser shows. Are there any fellow hobbyists out there that live in NYS and can point me in the right direction to becoming compliant to the NYS laser code?

In all honesty, I simply wanted to do some holiday shows in my school's auditorium and gymnasium. However, after seeing I need to complete an LSO certification program, as well as completing an exam for our Labor Department which has very little to do with laser shows but is more geared towards occupational needs, I feel the situation is hopeless. Due to the fact that we would like to do shows in multiple locations, the requirement is for a "mobile" laser setup.

Thanks for any help,

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

You simply hire a NY Class B LSO such as John at Technological Artisans to set you up correctly. He has options you may not see in the regs because he has been "In the System" for a while and knows how it works. A first consult on the phone would be free. He's one of us.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

To piggyback on what Steve already posted, in addition to hiring a NY-Legal operator, you'll also need to be sure your equipment has been properly certified as compliant under a Manufacturer's Variance. Fortunately, John can handle that as well. He's actually a member of the forum here (VJ AIWAZ). Reach out to him to learn more about what the requirements are.

If you're only talking about a couple events, you'd be better off just hiring John to do them. If you really want to get into the business for yourself though, then you're going to have to jump through all the hoops: Buy certified gear, obtain your laser light show variance from the CDRH, and then get your NY Laser Operator Class B certificate. This is going to take time, and it's going to be expensive. (Nothing involving lasers is ever cheap, unfortunately.)

One thing you *can* do is explore the hobby in the privacy of your own home to learn more about the technology while you work on the legal side of things. The forums here on Photonlexicon are great resource for that. But yeah, going commercial in New York is more difficult than in most other states. Sorry!

Adam

Thanks guys and I greatly appreciate the help and direction. We are a small school in upstate NY but if we can provide our students and community with some big city fun, I will be extremely content.

Thanks again,