Thread: GM20 and DZ driver

Default GM20 and DZ driver

I got a GM20 from a forum member and it came with DZelectronics little pcb - driver. I have had this for some time but today was the first time i hooked it up with a power supply and then i understodd i had no idea what i was supposed to be testing.

so, i turn to all of you kind gentlemen. What is the thing supposed to be doing? i feed it 5v and ground and there is another input named "modulation" so i figured i should feed it with 5v too. doing this, i hear the relay do its thing, a red led lights and the arm on the gm20 moves about 1-1,5cm. the pcb is version 1.2 if this is of any relevance

so,questions...

1. is 5v ok for the modulation input?
    2. is the 1 - 1.5cm of movement for the gm20 ok? (never had one of these before, so don't know how much or how quickly it moves)
    3. is the red led supposed to stay on for as long as modulation signal is present?

thanks!!

ps. it feels nice to have a little pcb that has the PL url printed on it
    Last edited by LaNeK779; 11-06-2011 at 13:15.
    "its called character briggs..."

Thumbs up

You have it hooked up correctly, and it is working correctly. I have the same board in one of my projectors.

DZ designed that driver to power a GM-20 as a shutter using all 5 volt components. So the modulation input (actually the shutter signal from your controller, via ILDA pin 13) is indeed supposed to be a 5 volt input. The power supply to the board is also 5 volts, and the output it sends to the GM-20 is 5 volts. (Which is just enough to deflect the arm a few degrees. More than enough for a shutter.) The GM-20 can actually handle a lot more than that, but 5 volts is enough to make it work, and it should last damned near forever like that.

Adam

that was quick! thanks mister buffo

so, my work-in-progress projector is going to have a shuttter too. niiiiiiiiice!
    "its called character briggs..."

I had one of these installed and had a small problem with it it needs a full 5v or very close to it so my riya card could not controll it as it only puts out ttl level of 3.5v and it not enough to trigger it
    but its easy to fix