Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need a bit of help with building a projector

Post Need a bit of help with building a projector

Hi there! ,

Last year, I made a post about driver ( From here, thanks to everyone that helped me there ). I leave it here if someone wants to know about drivers! There's lot of information there
    One year later, I want to take again the decision of building a projector.

However, the link to BBE Driver is apparently down, and don't find any on his shop, so if there is another nice alternative over here, I would appreaciate it ^^.
    So yeah, can I build an *analoge* projector with a budget of 300 dollars? Really don't need 1w or lot of power, just for indoor beamshows. ( Taking in mind all components, except a dac, the HELIOS Dac seems nice from 90$ ) Take in mind that I got a medium experience on electronics too .

Thanks in advance, and have a nice day!
    Last edited by Shysk; 01-23-2020 at 12:29.

I'll let others chime in on sources for the BBE driver, as I haven't purchased any of those in a very, very long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Shysk View Post
    So yeah, can I build an *analoge* projector with a budget of 300 dollars?
    I think so, but only just barely, and you may not be happy with the results, as you're going to have to use the very cheapest scanners you can find, with the lowest power diodes, cheapest optics, and bare-bones case materials. And in the end you'll probably only have a few hundred mw of output power. But if that's all you're looking for, then you're OK. (Note, however, that you could probably purchase a non-certified projector from China for close to this price and not have to build anything.)

Really don't need 1w or lot of power, just for indoor beamshows.
    If we're talking about indoor beamshows in your basement where you can make it *completely* dark, then a few hundred mw is OK. But any larger space larger than that, or any space that has ambient light that you can't control is going to need more power for a beam show.

Adam

There are a few RGB (white light) modules these days that are VERY small and put out around 500-800 MW for about umder $100
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/RGB-500mW-W...n/113886305267
    you may have to re-align the lasers but its pretty easy

Spend the money for fast galvos.. I have been using these and love them
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/30Kpps-High...r/143488470648
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodies?
    Solid State Builders Group

Hi there! ,
    However, the link to BBE Driver is apparently down, and don't find any on his shop, so if there is another nice alternative over here, I would appreaciate it ^^.
    BBE is still building and selling drivers. I love them and buy them all the time. Just PM him here from PL. If you don't get a response, please just let me know as I have other contact information for him.

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Alright, thanks for the replies!!!
    I know that I won't be getting too much, but I could upgrade the diodes in a future
    The module Keeperx send, well, I checked it but it's from eBay and we can't know if drivers are TTL or analoge even if it says it on the title
    The galvos seems nice I guess But I would need the showcard wich will be connected to the DAC and the diodes, right? I could spend some money on a good one?
    Alright, when I get my final decision I will contact him, if I remember right I should buy his 3A Analoge drivers that someone send last year
    Have a nice weekend!

I have a module from that maker (its a 1 watt) and it was advertised as analog and showed up as analog.

https://www.photonlexicon.com/forums...aser-projector

I use Helios for a my DAC and Spaghetti for playing shows I build
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1xV1cTbY00&t=11s

Quote Originally Posted by keeperx View Post
    I have a module from that maker (its a 1 watt) and it was advertised as analog and showed up as analog.

https://www.photonlexicon.com/forums...aser-projector

I use Helios for a my DAC and Spaghetti for playing shows I build
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1xV1cTbY00&t=11s
    Alright, thanks!
    But I still need the mainboard ( wich I called showcard ) where all the drivers and galvos are connected, and also the DAC, right?

But I still need the mainboard (which I called showcard ) where all the drivers and galvos are connected, and also the DAC, right?
    A "showcard" is a playback device that generates the analog X and Y signals and color modulation signals for the projector. Normally a showcard is installed inside a projector and simply reads frames and animations that are stored on either an SD card or an internal ROM.

A DAC (also called a controller) generates these same analog signals, but the source of the patterns is the software running on the computer. This means that you can have many more frames to choose from (limited only by the size of your computer's hard drive). So no, you don't need both. One or the other is fine.

The X and Y signals are connected directly to the inputs on the scanner amps. And the color modulation signals are connected directly to the laser diode drivers. So if you plan to use the Helios DAC, then all you need is a DB-25 connector on the projector and an ILDA cable to connect the projector to the DAC. (ILDA cable = Parallel Extension Cable; basically a DB-25 male on one end and a DB-25 female on the other end.)

You will need to connect the pins on the back of the DB-25 connector to the internals of the projector (scanner amp inputs and laser driver modulation inputs) using short lengths of wire. If you want to make things easy on yourself, you can purchase a DB-25 break-out board (DZ sells them, and so does Stanwax) so you don't have to solder the wires directly to the DB-25, but this is not a requirement.

The laser module that Alec suggested above is considerably more affordable than I would have expected. If you are determined to build the laser module yourself, you will almost certainly end up spending more money buying individual drivers, mounts, diodes, and optics vs purchasing the all-in-one module he suggested. $60 is a great price for a 500 mw RGB analog laser module, so I'd strongly recommend you go that route.

I also agree with Alec's suggestion to go with 30K scanners at a minimum. True, you said you are mostly interested in beam shows, but faster scanners will also allow you to scan beam effects at a wider angle. And at some point you may decide to explore graphics shows, so having better scanners at the start will prevent you from needing to upgrade later.

If you can source a cheap enclosure for your projector, then with the parts that Alec linked to above I think you'll be able to build the projector within your $300 budget limit.

Adam

Check out this thread.
    https://photonlexicon.com/forums/sho...aser-projector

It's a project that I recently completed it's built inside of a sodium halide ballast enclosure. I have a bunch of these enclosures and can send you one for cheap if you're interested, just PM me.

For software control I suggest either Spaghetti or LaserShowGen. Both of these work very well with the Helios DAC.. I prefer spaghetti but that just me.

You don't necessarily need an ilda breakout board, a standard db25 breakout board can be had on Amazom for pretty cheap.

Building them is the fun part and mine originally just had one color and scanners that could not even draw a square correctly but updated stuff along the way, I built it on hobby birch plywood and named it "Hack Job" it's now single mode lasers, Bbe's simple drive modded for max of 500ma drive current and the last upgrade was DT 40 scanners and is the most expensive part and still don't have the sides built but here is my "Hack Job"
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC09532.JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	3.12 MB 
ID:	56294
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC09534.JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	2.84 MB 
ID:	56295
    Last edited by Draco; 01-25-2020 at 20:13.
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu