Thread: Edward Speedivac ES300, documentation sought

Default Edward Speedivac ES300, documentation sought

I just picked up an Edwards Speedivac ES300 for an absolute song! I'm trying to locate some documentation in order that I can service it and get it fully functional. Does anone know where I can look for the service docs or manuals?

I just googled es300 vacuum pump and there was a hit on the 1st page...
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Oddly that's not the pump I have. The markings on mine are rather faded, it could possibly be ES100. I have found documentation for ES and ED pumps, although not the ES100, but probably a good start.

Doe the pump not pull a vacuum? If you are planning the rebuild the pump, there are some critical internal clearances. Otherwise, flush the pump with new oil a couple of time.

I haven't yet tested the pump, it's still in the back of the van waiting for me to clear a space for it.
    The correct model number is ES100, I've not located a manual for that but it's probably similar enough to the ES75 which I do have a manual for. The good news is that the oil looks very clean in the sight glass.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Second that motion to flush the oil. It breaks down and gets acidic, slurps up water from the air when setting and collects metal dust and dust from the seals.
    You don't know where it has been, so don't get the old oil on you. Especially if it was used in a chemistry lab.
    ~

Don't know how easy it is to get in the UK, but in the US we have regular pump oil, high grade pump oil with a lower vapor pressure, , and flushing oil. The flushing oil has a detergent, and if ran for a few hours is great at removing crud, trapped water, and cleaning up the seals. You then replace it with the "good stuff".
    ~
    As with all things laser, cheap pump oil results in a poor ultimate vacuum.
    ~
    Dunaway Vacuum is a good place to ask questions, as is Edwards UK.
    ~
    Does it have a ballast valve to help it pump water vapor by admitting a small amount of air per cycle? Expect it to spurt oil out the exhaust if the ballast valve is wide open. Expect it to spurt oil anyways if there is no trap. A simple six inch piece of pipe makes a decent trap at first.
    ~
    Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 02-12-2020 at 12:37.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

It turns out the ES100 is an ES75 just being spun 33% faster. The oil specified is Edwards number 16 which is nigh on impossible to find data for; going by their current oils, 16 is SAE16, equivalent to ISO 46, so I'll try to get hold some of that.
    The pump is fitted with an input filter which is a bonus, and judging by the labels on it, it came from a resin casting company so was probably used to degas resins.