Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Could It Be It's The End of Our World?

Exclamation COVID-19 is serious, not silly. Don't panic, but don't be flippant either!

Universal is closed, Disney is closed, SCHOOLS are closed all over the place, and bars/restaurants in 5 states (Ohio, California, Illinois, Washington, and Massachusetts) are also closed. The NCAA basketball tournament was cancelled. NASA just closed the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex and cancelled a bunch of future events, including Yuri's Night. The CDC recommends cancelling any event that would draw 50 or more people. And the list keeps growing...

So, yeah, it's well past the time to start taking things seriously. Right now the US infection rate is mirroring that of Italy - just delayed by about 11 days. That fact alone should give anyone serious pause.

People are dying of this disease, and there will be plenty more deaths in the weeks to come. In light of that, jokes about price gouging are definitely in poor taste.

Adam
    Last edited by buffo; 03-16-2020 at 10:48. Reason: 11 days, not 9

Quote Originally Posted by danielbriggs View Post
    The implied joke or otherwise of those signs... that's absolutely disgusting behaviour.

... in times like these, only "gallows humor" will help

Viktor
    Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - https://reprap.org/forum/list.php?426
    Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - https://reprap.org/forum/list.php?425

OK, no free TP for Daniel or Adam

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by VDX View Post
    ... in times like these, only "gallows humor" will help

Viktor
    Somebody gets it
    Sincerely,
    Ryan Smith
    ScannerMAX Mechanical Engineer
    ryan {at} scannermax.com

Yeah, please don't post anymore stuff like this.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pic 1.jpg  

I’m not worried, the USA is NOT Italy or China, neither is this taking place in the early 1900’s.
    RGB laser projectors
    Pangolin Beyond .NET
    APC40 Midi controllers
    Pangolin FB3 controllers
    DZ splitter
    LS MegaWatt Green Machine

Quote Originally Posted by carlos3621 View Post
    I’m not worried, the USA is NOT Italy.
    You're right. We're actually *worse* than Italy. Italy's healthcare system is ranked #2. We are #37. Source As we are currently mirroring Italy's infection trend, we have good reason to be concerned. Remember, infection rates are independent of the total population. The virus is currently spreading at the same rate for the United States as it has for other first-world nations with good health care (even though many of those nations actually have better care than we do). The gut punch is that if we don't stop the spread, we have 5 times as many people as Italy, so we have that many more people who could become infected. More cases mean more deaths - it's just that simple.

We had ample warning from other countries, but we didn't act soon enough and now we don't have enough test kits. It's likely that our infection rate is actually higher than reported due to the lack of testing. Yet you say you aren't worried. Would the fact that major hospitals in the US are currently erecting tents to handle overflow patients change your mind? Yes, tents, for patients, here in the USA, just like in Italy. Will you be worried in 2 weeks when we catch up to where Italy is right now? Still think this is "just the flu"?

Experts who have spent their entire adult lives studying diseases like this are telling us we need to be concerned and we need to take decisive action immediately to minimize the impact of COVID-19. But hey, it's OK, some armchair quarterback said not to worry because the USA is different. You really think you're smarter than the CDC?

Don't get me wrong: I'm not in a panic, and I'm not out buying 5 cases of toilet paper or $300 worth of canned goods either. I am working from home as much as possible, and I'm limiting my contact with others. I've cancelled all my travel plans for the next 6 weeks. I've had 2 laser shows cancel, and in both cases I was in touch with the promoters asking about cancellations long before they pulled the plug.

It's going to hit me in the wallet, yes. (It's already hammered my retirement savings too.) But if that's all it does, then I can recover from that. My concern is if it gets much worse... Everyone in my immediate household (including me) is considered to be at high-risk for fatal complications from this disease. I don't want to have to try to recover from that.

Adam

... actually they're discussing, why the mortality rate in Germany is so much lower, than in other countries with comparable high infection rates.

Could be, we simply have more actual numbers or made more tests ... but the "hiden" infection rates are much higher here too ... but not as high as in Italy ...

The US seems to be either 1-2 weeks behind, or has much higher "hidden" infection rates, what will be seen in the next weeks ...

Viktor
    Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - https://reprap.org/forum/list.php?426
    Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - https://reprap.org/forum/list.php?425

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

OK, I work on a lively, large , 22,000 student campus. No on is here, other then a few research profs and their students, and required staff such as myself. All the undergraduate students and non-research grad students are learning from home via video.. Profs are teaching using interactive learning FROM HOME. My boss is working on my working from home other then daily la inspections / work on demand. When they tell ME (Critical Staff, reports even on snow days) to go home, that means its time to really, really, really practice social isolation. DO NOT TAKE THIS BUG LIGHTLY!
    ~
    Here Is the best map out there so far, English. Zoom in and click on the red dots in the US, Daily.
    ~
    https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html
    ~~
    While China's curve has leveled out, it is NOT declining. This means the infection rate has leveled out, but it is not over for them.
    ~
    WATCH THE WHOLE VIDEO BELOW:
    ~
    https://youtu.be/Kas0tIxDvrg
    ~
    Honestly, once this flares up, the US Health system is going to get its butt kicked for at least four weeks or more. I bought three weeks worth of food as I have to quarantine my Mom. She's 87.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 03-17-2020 at 11:24.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Quote Originally Posted by carlos3621 View Post
    I’m not worried, the USA is NOT Italy or China, neither is this taking place in the early 1900’s.
    ... interesting perspective.

I guess the footage of adults fighting over food and goods in US Walmarts and Costco stores, and the collapse of the US stock market, and the Fed trying to prop the economy up was all fake news.

Like it or not, we’re all in this together.

In times of hardship, it can highlight the spectrum of humanity.

And if gloating about the ability to hoard bog rolls is a thing. Well.

Be well, and keep safe everybody.
    Laser Safety
    https://www.lvroptical.com
    https://www.facebook.com/LaserSafety

- Laser Show Safety Training & Audience Scanning Workshops.
    - Effects Assessment, and Realtime MPE Measurement
    - Pangolin PASS System Integrator

Quote Originally Posted by JStewart View Post
    ... interesting perspective.

I guess the footage of adults fighting over food and goods in US Walmarts and Costco stores, and the collapse of the US stock market, and the Fed trying to prop the economy up was all fake news.

Like it or not, we’re all in this together.

In times of hardship, it can highlight the spectrum of humanity.

And if gloating about the ability to hoard bog rolls is a thing. Well.

Be well, and keep safe everybody.

Those video's are really blown out of proportion, you can see the same thing whenever there is a "black Friday sale" going on at Walmart and Costco, so not really a true representation of the way things really are.
    The good news is that this all started in China, and they seem to be tapering off in new cases there.
    RGB laser projectors
    Pangolin Beyond .NET
    APC40 Midi controllers
    Pangolin FB3 controllers
    DZ splitter
    LS MegaWatt Green Machine