Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Could It Be It's The End of Our World?

Quote Originally Posted by carlos3621 View Post
    The good news is that this all started in China, and they seem to be tapering off in new cases there.
    Yeah, that's thanks to draconian measures taken by an all-powerful monolithic police state...

BTW, kudos to governor DeWine of Ohio for finding a creative way to delay the primary in-person vote in spite of some idiot flat-earth judge in Franklin county.
    Last edited by dchammonds; 03-17-2020 at 18:47.

I'm just throwing this out, but maybe these folks that just can't get their heads around the mathematical implications of an actual f..king pandemic, were the same kids that - way back when - couldn't get their heads around word problems...

For the confused - After you look up "pandemic", look up the Dunning–Kruger Effect
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by VDX View Post
    ... actually they're discussing, why the mortality rate in Germany is so much lower, than in other countries with comparable high infection rates.

Viktor
    Perhaps it is because of the Great Wall of Toilet Paper that has been built.

And in other news...

https://www.cleveland.com/metro/2020...gh-easter.html

While Mass may be cancelled, just remember...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TitheTP.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	56450
    Last edited by dchammonds; 03-17-2020 at 20:41.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

I went to my church last night. Set up a semi- throttled but open WIFI node in a high window facing the parking lot. Many of our seniors, and now a bunch of newly unemployed job seekers, plus our gig economy folks depend on the net they can't afford.
    ~
    Keeps the church staff, all older, in the people tank, but lets the folks who really need it have net. Minister likes the idea. My node now far outperforms the public node we pay for from the cable company, lesson learned.

~
    I just watched a small business medical supplier friend sob and wail as he had to lay off his staff He runs a small shop that makes dentures and replacement teeth. With elective and non-emergency surgery canceled, he has no business. He's also on his knees thanking the Lord that he did not buy the new dental CNC machine. The best false teeth in a three state area just shut down, except for emergencies.
    ~
    Going to do a food delivery run for some shut-in folks today, then go home and try to fix Kecked's yellow as the 960-970 diodes and special lens wrench arrived.
    ~
    I'd like to thank the two big telecos that phased out 3G yesterday, without telling their clients to get new phones, on the day they closed their local stores. Mostly the side of the network that serviced the pay as you go services that seniors use. My phone rang off the hook over that one.
    ~

Oh well, a lovely day mostly alone in the big buildings. At least I have filtered air.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    I went to my church last night. Set up a semi- throttled but open WIFI node in a high window facing the parking lot. Many of our seniors, and now a bunch of newly unemployed job seekers, plus our gig economy folks depend on the net they can't afford.
    Thanks for helping your community, Steve. This is the sort of thing that restores my faith in humanity.

I just watched a small business medical supplier friend sob and wail as he had to lay off his staff
    There is a lot of this happening across the country right now. There's talk of a stimulus package, and I've heard that unemployment is being granted to workers who have been furloughed due to the virus without making them wait the normal 6 week period before benefits start, but it's still going to be very hard for a large number of people.

Adam

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Default Wibble Wobble Bibble Bobble

Quote Originally Posted by JStewart View Post
    ... footage of adults fighting over food and goods in ... Costco stores
    Similar things in Newspapers here in the UK.
    Pics of trolleys piled high and massive queues at the checkouts.

As a (sometime) shopper at Costco let me tell you that this is entirely normal.
    Bugger all to do with Corona.

Fake News?
    Naahh.. That's the preserve of your Orange Overlord

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GhlslrI.jpg  

I thought the image of the cold blooded dinosaur in the previous post was more realistic...
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by soforene View Post
    Similar things in Newspapers here in the UK.
    Pics of trolleys piled high and massive queues at the checkouts.
    That was kinda my point...; it's the same world over, and the USA is not escaping the effects of western governments shutting down large parts of the economy as a means to tackle the virus. And that virus is everywhere now. As its chaos.

Quote Originally Posted by soforene View Post
    As a (sometime) shopper at Costco let me tell you that this is entirely normal.
    Bugger all to do with Corona.
    Indeed, but the shortages / restrictions are in almost all supermarkets now, which is of course not the norm.

What irked me with a couple of the earlier posts was the one about price gouging, which seemed a cheap and insensitive way to promote their employer's product. And the other one about the virus not being an issue in the USA. And hence the sarcasm in using one of the great leader's favourite phrases.

Stay well and safe everyone.
    Laser Safety
    https://www.lvroptical.com
    https://www.facebook.com/LaserSafety

- Laser Show Safety Training & Audience Scanning Workshops.
    - Effects Assessment, and Realtime MPE Measurement
    - Pangolin PASS System Integrator

Quote Originally Posted by JStewart View Post
    What irked me with a couple of the earlier posts was the one about price gouging, which seemed a cheap and insensitive way to promote their employer's product.
    Agreed. Particularly when that company went on to post this announcement just 5 days later...

Seriously Ryan: I love you dude, but you *need* a filter sometimes.

Stay well and safe everyone.
    +1

Adam