Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Could It Be It's The End of Our World?

Default Could It Be It's The End of Our World?

Ladies and gentlemen, because of concerns over the Corona virus, Buzzard Day festivities in Hinckley, Ohio have been postponed...

https://www.hinckleyohchamber.com/

As always, Pangolin is here to help in any way possible. I'm including a FREE ROLL of 2 PLY PREMIUM TOILET PAPER with every scanner purchase. PM for details!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2020-03-13 12.32.08.jpg  

Sincerely,
    Ryan Smith
    ScannerMAX Mechanical Engineer
    ryan {at} scannermax.com

Hah. I love it.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

I am not looking forward to possibly judging the regional science fair via something like Skype. It wont give me a way to triage the projects before hand. I'm also betting there will be a time limit imposed per student. Probably make it VERY difficult to decide who's going to State with the other judges, We don't know yet, as things have not been finalized on the solution, but two weeks to go. If its not totally canceled.. Sixth Thru Twelfth grades.
    ~
    Our personal interaction as teams of judges with each student can have a serious positive impact. Not to mention no way to say "Hey go look at table 126", especially when tenths of a point matter for the category I judge. I only get to nominate 20 or for state with my judging partners, seats at state are limited. But I will do the best I can.
    ~
    There are often scholarships on the line, or paid trips to the nationals at the next level. Not fair to cancel.
    ~
    One of the things we often do is arrange a way forward to a mentor for some students, so they can try again next year, usually by just walking across the room. No easy way to do that on line
    ~
    Dean, its OK, you can go to the 46th Annual Mantua Potato Festival in September. Yum, Potato Pancakes, mashed potatos, potato tacos.
    ~
    Anyway, like I was sayin', potato is the fruit of the Land.. You can barbecue em, boil em, broil em, bake em, saute it. Dey's uh, Potato -kabobs, Potato creole, potato gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried, french fried. There's pineapple potato, lemon potato, coconut potato, potato paste, potato soup, tator stew, potato salad, shrimp and potatoes, potato burger, potato sandwich. That- that's about it.

As for Tango Papa, I only use good quality Optics Cleaning Tissue on my clean and shiny hind end, , and being an Ion Laser type, I'll never run out... (LOL, as five guys on the tour busses just rushed to their toolkits, to check inventory! )

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 03-13-2020 at 16:36.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Ryan you can have all my used paper....recycle.

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post

~
    Dean, its OK, you can go to the 46th Annual Mantua Potato Festival in September. Yum, Potato Pancakes, mashed potatos, potato tacos.
    ~

Steve
    I seem to remember my niece was crowned Potato Queen a number of years back.

Yes, it is the end of the world (temporarily) here in New Orleans.

All St. Patricks, Irish-Italian, Irish-American parades are cancelled. That's a big deal down here, never cancelled.

French Quarter Fest is postponed. Huge economic loss for the city, hotels, small businesses and vendors.

Jazz Feat is postponed. Not even postponed or cancelled after Hurricane Katrina. Loss of spending from 100s of thousands of attendees over two weeks.

All around N.O. and the suburbs (where I live) events with over 250 people are banned until further notice. Stores are packed with shoppers but the shelves are empty like we had been seeing on the national news. Destination weddings are taking a hit. The local economy depends on tourists spending money, so everyone is going to be hurting from this.

Everything in New Orleans is shutting down due to the corona mess. I have paying gigs that were cancelled for this weekend/next month and both my kids' high schools (actually all public and private schools and colleges) are closed until April 13th.

School Sports are cancelled. My daughter is a senior in High School and probably won't get to go to her last State Tennis Tournament. Senior Prom and Graduation ceremony/party are questionable. All her end of the senior year activities are cancelled. Unimportant in the big picture, but I know she and her classmates are upset & feeling cheated by it.

Yesterday, the local news said that corona infections are going to really take off now that we are 14+ days past Mardi Gras where we had thousands of people visit from all over the world standing side by side for hours and eating/drinking together. Even the tv news people are "social distancing" standing six feet apart on the tv news set.

My real job is for an engineering firm as an electrical & control systems engineer in the oil and gas industry. With oil at $50ish a barrel most companies were not making much money, it needs to be around $70/barrel to really thrive. With oil now at $32/barrel, engineering firms and oil/gas suppply firms will begin laying off lots of people. Many oil field vendors will go bankrupt. Also the state economy relies on taxes from the oil and gas industry, so those funds will dry up. People will be driving much less so gasoline sales taxes will drop too. What a mess.

Only bright side is that this will eventually pass. In the mean time I will use my time at home to learn the Beyond abstract editor, watching the pangolin tutorial videos and trying to get better at creating content. Eventually there will be events again that will pay me to shoot laser beams in foggy rooms!

Hope everyone out there stays safe and healthy.
    Eric in New Orleans

We are living history now. We are all seeing things that have never happened before.

Right now Disney World is closed at least until the end of the month (maybe longer). Store shelves are empty of things like hand sanitize, isopropyl alcohol
    , bleach and toilet paper.

Why TP? I really don't understand this. If you are going to stock pile something make it rum. LOL.

Attachment 56445
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tenor.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Lazerjock View Post

Why TP? I really don't understand this. If you are going to stock pile something make it rum. LOL.

... in case you haven't known it yet ...

Viktor
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Toilettenpapier-Mauer.jpg  

Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - https://reprap.org/forum/list.php?426
    Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - https://reprap.org/forum/list.php?425

Quote Originally Posted by rns0504 View Post
    As always, Pangolin is here to help in any way possible. I'm including a FREE ROLL of 2 PLY PREMIUM TOILET PAPER with every scanner purchase. PM for details!
    The implied joke or otherwise of those signs... that's absolutely disgusting behaviour.

- There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -