Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Trying out high power IR diodes!

That is my plan, going to use a faster and more sensitive meter and lower output power and block them, stay tuned!

Ok, tried it and used a piece of granite to block the beams going in to the combiner, set the thing up for about 20 Watts and it seems indeed that it is built to make two different lines! The two diode pairs are perfectly aligned to two lines that sits on different levels about 2 mm apart! What to do, maybe try to raise the front pair with a copper shim? But it is a lot of work, the diodes are of course on different levels and not just the optics...

... best should be to stay with this setup and find either a fiber coupler or a focussing lens to focus the beam direct onto the target ...

Viktor
    Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - https://reprap.org/forum/list.php?426
    Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - https://reprap.org/forum/list.php?425

Quote Originally Posted by VDX View Post
    ... best should be to stay with this setup and find either a fiber coupler or a focussing lens to focus the beam direct onto the target ...

Viktor
    I have a lens on order, I will try it when I get it. A fiber coupler would be great but I have no idea where to find one that doesn't cost thousands of euros!

Well, I put on my thinking hat (had a coffee!) and figured out that the focus lens assembly that fed the fiber must have a focus point at the fiber entrance. So I put it in front of the laser and there it was, a 20mm focus lens! The beam has quite a narrow waist so max effect only in a small point but it might be usable for something! (also note my professional beam table, a couple of childrens books!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Foto 2020-03-30 14 33 15.jpg  

The thing blew a hole through a 0.5mm steel plate in seconds at a 100W, will be very interesting to take it up all the way to 300 and also to pulse it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Foto 2020-03-30 14 53 29.jpg  

Just curious - what are your long-term plans for the laser? Going to make an engraver/cutter? Or is this just a "for fun" project?

300 watts is certainly a beast!

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Just curious - what are your long-term plans for the laser? Going to make an engraver/cutter? Or is this just a "for fun" project?

300 watts is certainly a beast!

Adam
    It is going into a laser cutter most likely, and I guess that max power using this driver will be around 250W, should be plenty!

Next up is most likely to machine a nozzle for the lens so I can have over pressure air in front of the lens, it sits so close to the focus point and will for sure be damaged if I continue with bare optics!
    And get a beefier power supply!

... my plans are cutting/engravin metal sheets and "additive fabrication" with fusing wires or powder.

Have six 200Watt-diodes ... and a lot of other types already with 0.1mm-fibers (5, 9, 15 and 30Watts) or 0.4mm and 0.7mm fiber-bundles (5W to 500W) ... and some CW-fiberlasers with powers of up to 130Watts ... for some applications I'll combine several of the lasers to a "death-star-head", like here, with six 445nm-diodes

Viktor
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 47_800x400.png  

Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - https://reprap.org/forum/list.php?426
    Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - https://reprap.org/forum/list.php?425

Quote Originally Posted by VDX View Post
    ... my plans are cutting/engravin metal sheets and "additive fabrication" with fusing wires or powder.

Have six 200Watt-diodes ... and a lot of other types already with 0.1mm-fibers (5, 9, 15 and 30Watts) or 0.4mm and 0.7mm fiber-bundles (5W to 500W) ... and some CW-fiberlasers with powers of up to 130Watts ... for some applications I'll combine several of the lasers to a "death-star-head", like here, with six 445nm-diodes

Viktor
    Very cool! I'm just starting out with great inspiration from you Viktor!
    There was once a guy here on this forum that found some decommissioned equipment with like 250x 30W fiber diodes and was parting them out! I would love to get a couple of those!