Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: ILD Render - rendering laser graphics from Blender & Inkscape

Well I am still trying to move the ball. I'm working on a new port for libSDL 2.0. I'm hoping that will lead to a working MacOSX version and a true 64 bit Windows version. Once I'm in SDL2 I have more options for UI stuff. I can make a Win32 version with SDL2 and I had a Linux Makefile that worked but I'm having linker problems in Windows 10 64 bit. It compiles and links but it doesn't run, probably because there is still some 32 bit crud in the mix.
    Last edited by james; 08-13-2020 at 13:22.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    Doesn't have to be. You could refactor it as needed. If the fundamentals of your algorithms are sound they could be reapplied to other frameworks. There are plenty of modern cross platform frameworks now and maybe you might like modern software design if you tried. If it were me, I wouldn't fool around with it, either, to be honest. Too much trouble for not really any reward.
    You know what Gary? You might be one of only a few people on this forum who would actually understand what LaserBoy_space is and how it works. It is in Generic C++ as much as possible. I tried to separate it from any API by having it render itself to my own bitmap memory object (a C struct). So that can be blitted to any window.

Have you ever looked at the code?

It's fu*king magic.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    You know what Gary? You might be one of only a few people on this forum who would actually understand what LaserBoy_space is and how it works. It is in Generic C++ as much as possible. I tried to separate it from any API by having it render itself to my own bitmap memory object (a C struct). So that can be blitted to any window.

Have you ever looked at the code?

It's fu*king magic.
    I have never looked at the code. I am not even sure where to get it. As we discussed in the past, I wouldn't mind taking a look and adding some of the utilities to Spaghetti but it isn't high on the priority list at the moment.

It's right there in my PL signature.

LaserBoy_Current.zip

It is GPL3 so you are not supposed to take from it to add to your own non-free non-open source project. But that never stops some people. You can make some arrangements with me though.

You might like the code in the effects files. That's a good place to see the overloaded math operators and stuff in action.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    It's right there in my PL signature.

LaserBoy_Current.zip

It is GPL3 so you are not supposed to take from it to add to your own non-free non-open source project. But that never stops some people. You can make some arrangements with me though.

You might like the code in the effects files. That's a good place to see the overloaded math operators and stuff in action.
    I already made an arrangement with you but I guess you forgot. Anyhow, I'll let you know if I ever decide to go down that road and we can readdress.

Oh. I'm sorry. I guess I did forget. It's been a long time since the first public release. It's been a long time since I've enjoyed a conversation with anyone about the code and how it works.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

Guys, just a quick word to tell that I just bought and tested the plugin, aiming to improve and accelerate the digitizing of logos via Inkscape and vector files, and well, it works just great !

I work with Pangolin Beyond, the plugin communicate flawlessly with it and you see the result in real time laser display.

It's a dramatic improvement over manual drawing - working with Inkscape is way better than Beyond for this purpose - and also you can individually optimize each group of graphical element to the perfection.

I can only recommand, thanks Thomas for the great work !

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Default Dramalamas

I see a lot of energy wasted on drama, and not enough on developing a Blender plugin that can do laser output in real time!

There are different ways of doing things. Everybody has their own style. I'm looking at this thread and trying to reconcile it's purpose and intent with what transpired.

This thread has been, by any reasonable estimate, derailed. From the top people are discussing this neat little ILD render thing and then, like clockwork, you show up and start talking about how laserboy can do x/y/z whatever and then people reply to you with constructive criticism and then you go on and on about how they are wrong, or at least merely misinformed. Yes, I am doing this publicly. No I will not take this to PM's. Sunlight is a pretty solid disinfectant and I will not dilute it's efficacy.

If you want people to use your software you are going to have to meet them where they are instead of trying to convince them that your way is the only objectively right way because of philosophical reasons.

No where in this process do you even pretend to consider their viewpoints. Different doesn't mean better. If people don't want to use your software because they find the interface convoluted, don't blame them. They are trying to make stuff happen and as swami puts it "Yes. I even built it on my mac and burned several hours poking at it before giving up in order to prevent my brain from falling into some Lovecraftian madness."

People care about the goal. The endpoint. The logical outcome. They want a thing that gives them the specific flavor of dopamine they set out to get. Your software does not meet the needs of the people who have voiced an opinion about it. You can either double down about how you are right and everyone else is wrong or look in a fucking mirror and realize that there might be merit to their criticism. You seem wholly incapable of doing that.

To borrow a quote from you, that I desperately want to see some self reflection on:

The only thing preventing you from using it to accomplish your stated goal is your attitude.

That's unfortunate.

James, you have derailed this thread. Stop. What I want to see is that you quarantine your Laserboy discussion to it's own thread. If you are incapable of doing this, please go somewhere else that provides you a more compatible flavor of kool-aid. No, people mentioning things in an unrelated thread about a feature that Laserboy ostensibly has is not a door opening for "discourse" nor is it an opportunity to "educate" people on your preferred brand of philosophy. The only outcome I see here is that a thread was derailed and the collective discourse is worse for it.

Go through here, find the faults that caused the assertion of 5.0.0 and then proceed to unfuck yourself accordingly.
    https://photonlexicon.com/forums/sho...Code-of-Ethics

I welcome any and all opinions about how to put this train back on it's track.

Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    I welcome any and all opinions about how to put this train back on it's track.
    I apologize for my part in the non-relevant posts.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.