View Poll Results: Are you planning to attend SELEM 2020 (Aug 4 - 9)?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. As long as the lockdown is lifted I will be there.

15 57.69%
  • Unsure. First need to see what happens with COVID-19, my job, etc.

8 30.77%
  • No. It is too risky, both financially and health-wise.

3 11.54%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Are you planning to attend SELEM 2020?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    You could easily have a virtual Zoom meeting whenever you want.
    For the social aspect of the event, I completely agree. But in order to capture the presentation portions of SELEM, it would need to be a scheduled event that is coordinated. And no, I'm not talking about a week-long schedule. More like a series of 1-day schedules with perhaps 2 or 3 presentations each, along with the aforementioned chat channel to go with it. Thinking like maybe 3 Saturdays in a row or something...

It would be quite interesting and entertaining if we had regular virtual "MeetUps" on here where we schedule an hour or two meetings once a month and one or more people can talk about something and give demos.
    Agreed. Although the "social hour" style meetings are far easier to set up than the ones where people have prepared demos ready. The presentation style meetings are harder to schedule, and you need people to volunteer.

It seems like a big part of SELEM is hanging out and pretending to be lighting technicians for a few days. Not to mention drone flying and tinkering. The presentations seemed secondary, although getting the free Pangolin swag was probably a big draw for some. Oh yea, door prizes, too. I think I must have scored close to $1000 in door prizes from my trips there. None of that translates over to a virtual lem, other than possibly getting some simultaneous web cam face time, which you can already do with Skype meetings if desired.
    SELEM is lots of things to different people, but I feel that the social aspect is a big part of the event. A virtual meet won't take the place of all the pieces that go into making SELEM whole, but it might satisfy the social aspect - at least in part. It also allows for something similar to the classroom presentations, assuming we have enough volunteers who are willing to prepare a demo to be broadcast.

Assuming we do try to do a virtual event, it's likely to be even more chaotic and ad-hoc than SELEM ever was. But there's a certain charm in that. (Spec once called it "The glory of a free-range clusterfuck", and that phrase has stuck with me ever since.) And obviously there's no cost associated with virtual events, so there's no reason we couldn't do them on a recurring basis - provided there are enough people willing to participate. I'm not sure if you can record a Zoom meeting or not, but if you can that would be ideal.

The voice of reasoning in me would just tell you to pull the plug this year. There is a chance that it might work out but more than likely it isn't going to and it brings risk that really isn't worth it.
    I know dude, I know. I have the same voice inside my head. On the one hand, I really want SELEM to happen. So many people look forward to it (including me!) and it brings a great deal of joy to everyone. I also don't want the event to lose momentum because we skipped a year.

But on the other hand I have to consider how we would feel if one of our own got sick as a result of the event. We've got several SELEM regulars who are at high risk for serious complications from COVID-19. And that voice inside my head is telling me that I need to stop being selfish and start thinking about the good of the entire community.

Maybe you can make FLEM a little larger, or find some other place for a LEM later in the year, even if it isn't a full blown thing.
    I've thought about that as well. We could do FLEM on a larger scale. Aaron (allthatwhichis) found a venue that is only 30 miles or so from the boat club that we used to use. The one Aaron found is much bigger, and there are options to rent cabins nearby to stay overnight, or we could camp on site and even roll out sleeping bags in the main room if we wanted. It's also located in a more remote area, so no worries about noise or anything. It would have to wait until the fall of course, but it's an option worth considering...

Another thing to consider is that the annual ILDA conference will be at the Executive Banquet and Conference Center in Delaware this year. That's the place that Brad (bradfo69) has been managing for many years. As such, I know that the event is going to be different from past conferences, both because of the venue and because Brad is going to be hosting it. It won't be SELEM, but I'm still planning to attend as I suspect it will have at least a hint of the SELEM feel to it. I've also toyed with the idea of trying to do something here in Charleston at some point. Of course, the problem is always the venue, but with the downturn in the entertainment business there might be an opening later in the year.

One final thing to consider is the next Caribb-LEM, which should happen in March of next year. It's a bigger commitment than SELEM, both in terms of time away from work and cost, but it's also much, much more than SELEM could ever be. True, there's less focus on the equipment - simply because it's not practical to ship 20 projectors to the island - but we still share stories and experiences, we still put on several shows (so everyone gets to participate in the "lighting designer" role as we set up, operate, and tear down), and we also geek out with other hobbies, like quad copters and SCUBA diving. Plus it's a vacation in the tropics in March, which is always a plus.

So yeah, there are options for the future. But until then, having some "virtual meets" might be just enough to satisfy our social interaction needs so we don't all go completely nuts.

Adam

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

I really wish for a real SELEM.

Finances permitting I like the idea of Delaware, too.. Not a bad drive for me.

Show up a day early or a day late and have SELEM day in ILDAWARE...

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

It's too bad there isn't some nice, harmless organic compound that could be put into a fog machine that would act as a potent disinfectant. Unfortunately, sharing the same air as everyone else in a space that has atomized water droplets in it is probably much worse than normal air.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Another thing to consider is that the annual ILDA conference will be at the Executive Banquet and Conference Center in Delaware this year.
    I'm in.

(15 char minimum requirement follows: Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.)
    Last edited by HankLloydRight; 05-16-2020 at 15:49.

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    It's too bad there isn't some nice, harmless organic compound that could be put into a fog machine that would act as a potent disinfectant. Unfortunately, sharing the same air as everyone else in a space that has atomized water droplets in it is probably much worse than normal air.
    Hospitals are discouraging the use of CPAPs for that very reason. I didn't know or think about Hazers and Fog machines being a potential issue.

Quote Originally Posted by icecruncher View Post
    Hospitals are discouraging the use of CPAPs for that very reason. I didn't know or think about Hazers and Fog machines being a potential issue.
    I can see the headlines now. "NC Laser Enthusiasts Create Glowing COVID Cloud of Doom"

Still hoping for a SELEM event myself, I would think those at risk would make wise choices. While some of our own have done some pretty cool online events, nothing compares to seeing the beams in person. The classes and demos maybe could be virtual, but no replacing the main auditorium or crazy gym/lunch room club settings.

Maybe I should be more concerned and yes I do know a couple people that have been effected even a mid 40's person with no other compromises that is now hospitalized, but still I choose to live cautiously making good choices following rules, but yet not living in total fear.
    leading in trailing technology

I hadn't considered the impact of fog/haze either. But yeah, that's another risk factor. (As if we needed more bad news...)

I should point out that I'm not living in fear. To me this is all about risk management, and good risk management considers not only the potential chance for something to happen, but also the cost of failure if it does happen. This is why the Blue Angels do their training flights out over the dessert and not over downtown LA. They may be the best pilots in the Navy, but the cost of failure if one crashes on Rodeo Drive is unacceptable. Likewise, the cost of failure with regard to this pandemic is pretty high as well.

Adam

We need to all just inject Clorox remember.

... we did a "pure online" LEM here in Germany for the 20th aniversary of Laserfreak -- https://www.laserfreak.net/forum/vie...p?f=10&t=58604

Viktor
    Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - https://reprap.org/forum/list.php?426
    Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - https://reprap.org/forum/list.php?425