Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arduino controlled ILDA for animated projection - Help wanted -

If you need it to be an arduino, here is source and circuits for an Arduino Due that works as an USB DAC. https://github.com/Grix/LASDAC
    It was used as prototype for the Helios DAC, and the Due uses a microcontroller in the same family, which is useful because it has a built-in 12-bit true DAC for X/Y signals. The extra circuit contains another DAC for colors, and correction amps.

But you might also just consider a Helios DAC itself. It can be connected to any computer, like a raspberry pi. And it is open source, both software and hardware, so you can just reprogram it to work as an arduino, outputting directly from the microcontroller instead of being controlled over USB. https://bitlasers.com/helios-laser-dac/

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    That's pretty close to how AndyCon and I started with the boomdog boxes. Both of us stayed entertained with that about a week and that's what lead both of us to this forum and real equipment.
    not so precious about Arduino, it can be any controller with enough power.

Quote Originally Posted by Grix View Post
    If you need it to be an arduino, here is source and circuits for an Arduino Due that works as an USB DAC. https://github.com/Grix/LASDAC
    It was used as prototype for the Helios DAC, and the Due uses a microcontroller in the same family, which is useful because it has a built-in 12-bit true DAC for X/Y signals. The extra circuit contains another DAC for colors, and correction amps.

But you might also just consider a Helios DAC itself. It can be connected to any computer, like a raspberry pi. And it is open source, both software and hardware, so you can just reprogram it to work as an arduino, outputting directly from the microcontroller instead of being controlled over USB. https://bitlasers.com/helios-laser-dac/

Thanks so much for the valuable information. What I am struggling with is adding an accelerometer and gyroscope to provide the signals to the controller.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazlo View Post
    Thanks so much for the valuable information. What I am struggling with is adding an accelerometer and gyroscope to provide the signals to the controller.
    If you are talking about converting a simple vector line drawing to something that can be displayed on scanners that takes into account that the scanners have mass and have to accelerate and decelerate, that's usually called optimization. Some DACs do that internally with some kind of local processor and some ram to hold the frame data. LaserBoy can create a wave file of an animated set of frames with all the proper timing. You can set the parameters by which it does this to suit your scanners and color modulation. Once it's figured out and saved in the wave, you just play the wave like any other wave into a DC modified sound device to get your laster control signals. You can also re-open the LB created wave in LB and get your original frame set back.

James.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Why try so hard to make what already exists. Buy one of the existing software packages and a dac. Find buy or build a projector and go live a happy life. There is zero reason to innovate unless you plan something truly unusual.

pangolin quickshow is the most stable and portable option
    lsx for the programmer at heart but support is hard to get
    and the laserboy which is cheap and the designer lives on this forum
    then there is spaghetti which I’ve not played with. Designer also frequently here
    there are more.

i push the pangolin product because there is a full corporation behind it and it’s an industry standard and well it’s a solid product. The others are all from individuals and you get what you get. Lsx would be the next most popular. I do not want to rank then as they all have plus and minus. For ease of use pangolin for flexibility in abstracts lsx. For open source everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    Why try so hard to make what already exists. Buy one of the existing software packages and a dac. Find buy or build a projector and go live a happy life. There is zero reason to innovate unless you plan something truly unusual.

pangolin quickshow is the most stable and portable option
    lsx for the programmer at heart but support is hard to get
    and the laserboy which is cheap and the designer lives on this forum
    then there is spaghetti which I’ve not played with. Designer also frequently here
    there are more.

i push the pangolin product because there is a full corporation behind it and it’s an industry standard and well it’s a solid product. The others are all from individuals and you get what you get. Lsx would be the next most popular. I do not want to rank then as they all have plus and minus. For ease of use pangolin for flexibility in abstracts lsx. For open source everything else.
    Pangolin is at a disadvantage if you want to run multiple projectors because you'll need to buy a complete package for each projector. With Spaghetti or LSX the cost is incremental based on the cost of the DAC only. Something to consider based on your budget and long term goals.

Many of the free or less expensive applications for laser display can share art between them in the ilda format and possibly some other non-proprietary file formats. So you can use them all together and get the best of what each one does.

LaserBoy can also read and write DXF vector drawings in sets (multiple frames). It also reads and writes plain ASCII text tables that can be exchanged with math CAD apps. This format has actually been used by another developer to get frame data into an arduino based system. And of course LB writes LaserBoy Formatted Wave and reads wave files made by recording the output of any other laser DAC.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.