Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Official: SELEM 2020 in Newton, NC has been cancelled

Default More from Kinston

Here's the FB page for the Arts Center in Kinston. https://www.facebook.com/Grainger-Pe...6326304260410/ Take a look at the photos. Looks pretty good.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Angry

Given the two meetings I just sat thru at work, where we're facing 65 Million in Budget cuts, 50 Million of which is due to having to refund students due to Covid and lack of residents in the dorms, you might want to stay away from schools as there will be massive staff cuts nation wide for auxillary activities. While on one hand they may really want your contribution to fund a drama or music program, on the other hand they may not have the staff to handle your mission. They will be very risk adverse. You might have to self insure the venue.

It was a managable recovery plan for us, now it looks really, really bad. When the sacred tenured faculty are looking at forced job loss, things are really wrong. The two big venues on campus are shutting down for the foreseeable future. All of our sister institutions are in the same boat.

The one venue is the massive Ballroom venue with meeting rooms and conference rooms. Sort of the perfect backup bunker for this sort of thing. Its part of a former hotel merged into campus. Only glitch would have been having to use the house sound contractor, who is very, very, good and loves lasers. Did I mention the unused Ion lab with Newport tables 1000 feet away?

Do incorporate, it gives you much more bargaining power when dealing with an institution. Selem, Which Trials Inc, a secretive numbered Delaware Corporation sounds about right.

The fiscal budget review is about to start for most schools, and they might have one massive eye opener on lack of Income Tax Dollars. I know I'm numb from the shock right now.

I was looking forward to spending my possible 70 day furlough at SELEM. Sadly now I may be a new employee some place without the year of service needed to take a vacation for next year.

I'd look at former churches, myself.

Sorry for being Debbie Downer...

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 05-22-2020 at 15:25.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Quote Originally Posted by spacelaser View Post
    I'm conversing with my source up there. It appears there is a theater they suggest and there is at least one other meeting room. I'm trying to get pictures. My source indicates cost might well be less than for what you've been paying. I did ask about a place where we could use haze and also asked about somewhere that could be booked for several days and nights in a row. Will keep you informed.
    What is the name of the place? I know some people from Kinston and can ask about it.

Edit: nevermind, I saw your later post with the link after I posted the above.

Adam call me and I will see if I can host it at the university. We have hotel space, auditoriums, breakout rooms, audio systems, and a very understanding safety and fire guy namely me. We can also look at a trip to the rockhall. Falling that we could look at the planetarium either here or in pittsburgh. Not going to happen this year and it will have to be late July as we start back up in August. I think you might get a lot of attention from students too. We also have a maker space and lots more possibilities.

then we have the chef of chef. What say yea Brad for your space?

Plus one for NEOLEM!
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    Adam call me and I will see if I can host it at the university. We have hotel space, auditoriums, breakout rooms, audio systems, and a very understanding safety and fire guy namely me. We can also look at a trip to the rockhall. Falling that we could look at the planetarium either here or in pittsburgh. Not going to happen this year and it will have to be late July as we start back up in August. I think you might get a lot of attention from students too. We also have a maker space and lots more possibilities.

Wow, Cleveland would be really good. I know it's a little farther north for a lot of people (esp the FL folks), but pretty easy to get to otherwise. It's about the same full day's drive for me. I went to a Delorean car show there right on the water in 2000, and it was an awesome city to visit.

(And I can still do my annual post-SELEM jaunt to Cedar Point).

I've never been to Cleveland. Might be a fun road trip.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    I've never been to Cleveland. Might be a fun road trip.
    And let's not forget that Cleveland is just a few miles north of Hinckley- home of the Buzzards!

https://www.hinckleyohchamber.com/buzzard-day/

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    Once I have an idea of what there is to work with, I can figure something out accordingly. Crazy as it sounds... since I bring a truck or trailer anyway, I have a small freezer and a versatile grill. I made due in the theaters kitchen which was about as basic as it gets. It's also possible that someplace besides Newton will be better served with bakeries and wholesale clubs nearby.

Yes, the mistake on the lake, is about the same distance as SELEM for me as far as driving as well.

I like the Kinston location. The theater looks great. Holiday Inn Express - Lowes, Aldi & Walmart all within walking distance of the hotel - similar town "feel" in photos.
    Last edited by Bradfo69; 05-23-2020 at 01:48.
    PM Sent...