Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Official: SELEM 2020 in Newton, NC has been cancelled

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Once I have an idea of what there is to work with, I can figure something out accordingly. Crazy as it sounds... since I bring a truck or trailer anyway, I have a small freezer and a versatile grill. I made due in the theaters kitchen which was about as basic as it gets. It's also possible that someplace besides Newton will be better served with bakeries and wholesale clubs nearby.

Yes, the mistake on the lake, is about the same distance as SELEM for me as far as driving as well.

I like the Kinston location. The theater looks great. Holiday Inn Express - Lowes, Aldi & Walmart all within walking distance of the hotel - similar town "feel" in photos.
    Kinston is an interesting location. Recently, a bunch of culture has come into it so there are some nice restaurants and other things going on. At the same time, crime rate is high so watch out where you end up at night. It's only about an hour from the beach in case someone wants to wake up early and get some surfing in.

Whoa, Cleveland! That is way closer for me and my team. Hmmmm...

...Mike
    Runs with Lasers

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Nice thing about the Cleveland area is Cedar Point is down the road to keep the wife and kids entertained. We have plenty of fun stuff for the family, museums, trails, parks, lighthouses, ship museum, science center, the museums at University Circle etc.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

The Grainger Performing Arts Center in Kingston, NC looks really nice! Assuming that they have some additional spaces (apart from the actual auditorium) for all the other SELEM activities it could be the perfect venue. It's definitely high on the list of places to take a closer look at, that's for sure.

I agree that Colleges are being hit hard by the downturn in the economy, but when I mentioned the idea of doing SELEM at a school I was thinking more along the lines of a middle school or a high school. The economy has a diminished affect on those schools (apart from the long term consequences of a declining tax base), so the real hurdle is the administration (and all the red tape). But with the right management in place, this could be a great option.

After a little bit of googling, it appears that there are a lot more "small theater" venues out there than I had initially realized. This makes me even more confident that we'll be able to find a venue that is very similar to what we had in Newton. Knowing that there are more places to choose from, I can be more selective and not just settle for the first place we find that meets the budget target.

Adam

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Just a quick glance shows there are about 25-30 performing arts facilities/theaters just in Delaware... many of which I knew nothing about. So I suspect you may be right in that there could be more options than we realize.
    PM Sent...

NEOLEM sounds kinda cool, but CLEVELEM has a nice ring to it as well.

It really is in the middle of just about everything. The interstate highways are all in and out of it and Akron is only 35 minutes south!
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Quote Originally Posted by spacelaser View Post
    Here's the FB page for the Arts Center in Kinston. https://www.facebook.com/Grainger-Pe...6326304260410/ Take a look at the photos. Looks pretty good.

Odd there are so many windows, most theaters have full lighting control.
    leading in trailing technology

Quote Originally Posted by polishedball View Post
    Odd there are so many windows, most theaters have full lighting control.
    According to the google it was originally a high school and closed a few years back and now reopened. It says that part of it was converted to a old folks home. If that is the case I don't think the noise aspect would work out.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    It says that part of it was converted to a old folks home. If that is the case I don't think the noise aspect would work out.

eh, they can't hear so well anyway.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

what?

PM Sent...