Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Laser projector safety

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post

Instead, the standard is to use the relay to interrupt the DC power going to the lasers. That will extinguish the lasers more or less instantly. However, these days it's common to have two DC power supplies for the lasers: 5 volts for red and 12 volts for green and blue. So you would need a double-pole relay.
    The problem with this is that you need relay contacts that can take a lot of current, if switching a mains supply of 100W the current is tiny but switching this at low voltage will mean BIG contacts. If switching mains and extiguising the output with the SS shutter, the output will not continue as the PSUs run down discharging the caps. I know people who have variance with the S4i and S4p so it must be acceptable!

I was wondering about using the emission LED circuit, but I had two concerns: First, how much current could one safely draw from this LED circuit? (This would place limits on the coil resistance used for the relay.) And second, I thought that the emission LED was a bi-directional circuit... Isn't that how you achieved the two different colors on the LED? If so, then you would need to add a diode in series with the relay coil to prevent operation except when the LED was solid red. Also, isn't there a "flashing" mode for the LED during the startup delay where it switches between green and red? If so, that would cause the relay to pulse on and off during the startup delay, right?
    Note I stated 'can be switched' - the LED output could never pull a relay in as the LEDs series resistor is on the board so 2V @20mA - good luck finding a relay capable of switching AMPS with such a coil. No my intention was to use this 'signal' to switch a transistor to energise the relay. And no the Emission LED is NOT bi colour. the BiLED is for board status there is a separate emission LED output on all versions of th board.

I do have another question, and that relates to the shutter signal from the FB4. Does the shutter signal pass through the FB4 version of the Stanwax board? And if so, is that signal interrupted when the interlock is triggered just like the color signals are?
    The S4FB takes the shutter signal thats included in the JST for colour output and does not have anything to do with the PWM shutter output of the FB4. This remains functional as it should and my board has no influence on that and vice-versa

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Wow! I didn't know that Pangolin was charging $600 for a single Vrad actuator! That's really expensive. I thought they were only $150 or something... (Are you sure about that price?)
    hello Adam and Rob
    in fact, I didn't ask Pangolin directly, but I found a site where they cost $ 300 each, but I have 2 projectors ...
    Ultimately, I will use the Stanwax card for cutting the analog signal and on the driver. If Rob kindly, can you give me a diagram of how I can add a relay for cutting the driver DC power too. (consider that I have a rgb module with single driver, 12v about 2A of consumption.)
    Thanks to Adam and Rob for the valuable advice.

Rob, I sent you an email ...

For reference should anyone wish to make a mod so that they can add a remote relay for the S4fb, the attached image shows the very simple circuit that can be used.
    Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails relay board.jpg  

If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by davidmaster View Post
    I would like to implement a mechanical shutter and I know the validity of the Scannermax but at the moment I cannot invest an additional $ 600 plus shipping and customs.
    As the guy who oversees the orders and production for ScannerMAX things... I GUARANTEE they are not $600, but thanks for the speculation.... I did check our incoming contact records and don't have any David from EU inquiring about VRAD pricing in the last two years.
    Sincerely,
    Ryan Smith
    ScannerMAX Mechanical Engineer
    ryan {at} scannermax.com

@rns0504

No speculation friend, sorry. I was wrong not to contact you directly, but in PM I send you the page of the site where you can find the model and the price. Regards

Hi David,
    Thanks for the PM and information.

I wish we could charge as much for our products as that site is showing! We would all retire early!
    *They have our products posted for 2x to 3x our retail rates, and are not a legitimate dealer

I can offer the VRAD shutter for 1/3 the price as they have listed, to PL members for their builds as needed. It is not necessarily the cheapest option, but it has been proven over the years as a rugged and reliable option.
    Thanks,
    Sincerely,
    Ryan Smith
    ScannerMAX Mechanical Engineer
    ryan {at} scannermax.com

Hello everybody
    I wanted to thank Adam for the valuable advice, Rob from Stanwax for promptly solving a small problem and for sending me the excellent material.
    I also thank Ryan for the exchange of information and this very interesting forum.
    Now my laser projectors have double security; immediate cut of the analog signal and the power supply of the laser drivers.
    See you soon on these pages