Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nice show, but...

Default Nice show, but...

Mike's camera apparently kept going in and out of focus. I'm not sure what the heck was going on here ;-)

https://youtu.be/Z1Cne0R7AGg

That's why I use a dslr and switch to manual focus. Phones have the worst time with lasers.

Awesome show! I really like the beam brush!
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Bill was kidding. This is an amazing example of beam brush with an abstract show.
    Very impressive!

Quote Originally Posted by Lazerjock View Post
    Bill was kidding. This is an amazing example of beam brush with an abstract show.
    Very impressive!
    Actually, I was, too which is why I acknowledged the beam brush later! However, I was being serious about using a dslr for lasers. For lumia and graphics with scan glass, phones have a horrible time trying capture color as well as focus and exposure levels!

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    Actually, I was, too which is why I acknowledged the beam brush later! However, I was being serious about using a dslr for lasers. For lumia and graphics with scan glass, phones have a horrible time trying capture color as well as focus and exposure levels!
    My bad. Lol

Yes this thread is full of humor ;-)

A DSLR was used, with fixed focus.

I'm glad you all liked the show. I did too! I didn't see Mike publicizing it much, so I decided to help him publicize it but in a funny way.

Bill

Good to see you posting again, Bill! You have been too absent from the forum!

What kind of prices are we looking at for the beam brush? There aren't any listed on the Pangolin website. Also, do we have to have a Kvant projector to use it?

Hey Absolom, thanks for the comments!

At the present point in time, we're not selling it as a component. The reason is because when you expand the divergence, you can see the "structure" of the beam. If the beam doesn't start its life out looking perfect, then, well, there could be "questions"...

For example, when Pieterjan posted a video of a show he did, some people complained about separation of the red. See this:
    https://youtu.be/7CVjxNiApqE

I mean, instead of saying "HEY MAN THAT'S AN AMAZING SHOW" they say "hey, what's that separation of the reds". They then falsely jump to a conclusion that it's because of Beam Brush... It isn't! In Pieterjan's case it's because his projector has a laser module made 5 years ago, not made specifically for Beam Brush, and was made in such a way to optimize size, space and cost at the expense of something that is completely invisible -- invisible that is unless you expand the beam!

So selling it as a component to a variety of people, who would retrofit into their variety of projectors, and wind up having a variety of results, and would then make a variety of forum posts, well, I hope you see where all of this is headed. Basically Pangolin would look like idiots for developing such a bad system. Know what I mean?

What would be better is to have 100% consistent and expected results, that are always beautiful. Then, instead of complaining about the problems, people will only look at the beauty. At least that's the plan ;-)

To this end, we are partnering with Kvant who is making complete laser projectors, with laser diode arrays made in such a way that when the beam is expanded with Beam Brush, there aren't any objectionable artifacts. This kind of protects the brand, and at the same time makes it easy for people to get into one of these systems.

We have sent individual prototype systems to individual people -- for example, Pieterjan, David Kumpula, (and soon Mike Dunn and Thomas Avisse), plus we have a handful of systems at Pangolin. But all of these systems were made with parts we actually acquired in 2013 and that sat on the shelf until recently. We had a limited number of parts to build a limited number of prototype systems. For production builds we ship scanners and a few other key components to Kvant, and they machine the rest and build it into their projectors.

So -- bottom line, if you want one of these projectors, call Justin and he'll give you a price for a projector. There is a line of projectors ranging from 3 watts up to 30 watts (I think, something like that).

By the way, we will also soon be releasing a build of BEYOND with Beam Brush and example content so people can play around with it on the preview window and get a feel for what it does and how it works, even without having such a projector.

Bill
    Last edited by Pangolin; 07-30-2020 at 23:58. Reason: updated link to Pieterjan's video

This is an excellent demo of the Beam Brush effect! Thanks for posting this, Bill.

I've seen some of the early work done by others, and PJ has also put together a few examples more recently that show what could be done with Beam Brush, but this abstract example by Mike is the one that really made me think, "Wow, this has a lot more potential than I thought it would."

Although thinking more about it, I just thought of one other use case where this would be super-helpful: Glow-in-the-dark projectors!

Damn... This is going to be interesting to watch!

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    By the way, we will also soon be releasing a build of BEYOND with Beam Brush and example content so people can play around with it on the preview window and get a feel for what it does and how it works, even without having such a projector.
    Does that mean this example content will work ok with EMULaser too?
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.