Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: VirtuaLEM 2020! Polls and information

Default Saturday Night Content

Hi Y'all! It's time to start collecting content for tonight's content slots. You can post any links in the #saturday-night-links channel on the Discord.

Hey Y'all
    Thank you soooooooo much for the virtual vacation.. Im like totally wiped out just like coming home from SELEM in years past..
    It was great seeing everyone again.. YOU GUYS ROCK!!!

I want to thank Newlin for spearheading this effort. I know we had talked about it several months ago, but to be honest I sort of let things slide. But Newlin didn't want to give up the idea so he pushed to make it happen, and I'm really grateful that he did! It was great to chat with everyone again. True, it wasn't the same as SELEM, but it was still nice - especially after so many months of living in isolation! (I'm closing in on 5 months working from home.)

Sorry that the scanner tuning didn't go quite as planned... My venerable 100 mw green DPSS unit that I have installed on my test plate has finally given up the ghost. (Moment of reverent silence...) I did have a couple other modules that I could have slapped onto the plate but even so the tuning would still have been rather iffy because the original scanners that I had planned to use were in far worse shape than I expected (they've got "crunchy-bearing syndrome" and thus are now in the trash).

I had a spare set of brand new scanners that I could have used instead, but it turns out that I can't find a copy of the manual for them anywhere. (They are the Goldenstar GS-40A scanners, if anyone has a link.?.) Without a manual I don't know which pots are which, so tuning those would have been a real mess. So that's why I had the Pluto II projector set up, but of course you can't access those tuning pots without pulling the amps off the optical deck, and by that point I was out of time. Lesson learned: start preparing earlier!

Nonetheless I think the discussion around the test patterns and tuning tips in general went reasonably well. It certainly helped that nearly everyone who tuned in was already familiar with the process. But at some point in the future I need to get my test plate set up properly. Then I'll be happy to actually run through the tuning process in real time while on a Zoom meeting. (Hopefully by then my new camera will be here!)

The rest of the presentations were really cool though. I especially enjoyed the Radiator demo with Chris and Heather, although I'm sorry I missed the second session on Sunday. Bill's demo of the Beam Brush was also very cool, and I look forward to seeing more new shows with the Beam Brush effect. David's walk-through of his latest projector build was informative (as always), and like many folks I'm intrigued by the effects-wheel rotator that Ed has come up with. I've always meant to build a projector with something like that but I knew that building the rotator was well beyond my skills. Now it looks like I can just buy one!

The beam shows that Adam Raugh shared from the X-Laser studio were amazing. That circular truss really adds a lot! (Adam is fond of saying that "It's like a cheat-code for beam shows" and I definitely agree.) Still pondering ways that we might set up something like that at SELEM next year, although first we need to settle on a venue.

Speaking of venues, Adam Raugh mentioned that he might have some leads for us in Savannah, Georgia. I'm wondering what folks think about moving SELEM out of North Carolina? I know I had mentioned earlier that I liked NC because it was right in the middle between Florida and the North Eastern states, making the drive equally bad for everyone (), but there are some very nice places in Savannah and there's plenty to see and do in the town that might be interesting for spouses and family members. So I can see that location offering some real advantages compared to some of the more remote towns that we've been looking at in NC. So if you've got an opinion on this, I'd like to hear it!

In summary, I thought the virtual-SELEM went really well. Thanks to everyone who participated, and a *big* thanks to those who volunteered to do presentations.

So, we gonna do it again next weekend or what?

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    (They are the Goldenstar GS-40A scanners, if anyone has a link.?.)

Adam
    Any chance you know the pinout for input for these?

I have set from them but they shipped with no cables or manual, when they sent cables it was like a buffet, of different types and sizes.

Also thanks to all involved my hopes were not high at all, but you guys delivered and made it so much much fun, best 28 hour Zoom meeting ever!
    leading in trailing technology

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

The only problem I see with Savannah is, I'll be too distracted with seeing/being in Savannah to pay much attention to the meet. I REALLY want to spend some time there maybe this fall when I come down to look at real estate around Charleston and the surrounding area.

And while I already posted it on Facebook, I'll echo thanking Newlin for working so hard to put it together and particularly Will for all the tech work at making it all go so incredibly smoothly. I REALLY like the idea of perhaps doing it once a year, perhaps mid way between SELEM in a January/February time frame.
    PM Sent...

Quote Originally Posted by polishedball View Post
    Any chance you know the pinout for input for these?
    I have set from them but they shipped with no cables or manual, when they sent cables it was like a buffet, of different types and sizes.
    Sorry John, I don't have any docs at all.

My set has the typical scanner-to-amp cables (7 pins in a flat connector) and a bunch of 3-pin connectors for power and signal input with bare wire on the other end. My amps have silk-screened labels on the connectors so I think hooking them up would be easy enough, but I have no idea what the pots are, so tuning would be a challenge...

There is one strange connector on the corner of the amps near the signal input though. You have the three pins for signal input (pos, neg, gnd) and then there's a 2-pin connector right next to it with no label, except that the first pin is labeled "+". No idea what those last two pins would be for... (Position feedback signal maybe? Dunno.)

If anyone has the manual for these goldenstar GS-40A scanners, please post a link!

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    The only problem I see with Savannah is, I'll be too distracted with seeing/being in Savannah to pay much attention to the meet.
    I often tell people that Savannah is like "Charleston-lite". Similar architecture and scenery, just less of it. But yeah, there's plenty to see and do if you're into the history or the architecture. And the waterfront area is pretty nice too, although the industrial sector is *right* next door to the boardwalk, which sort of spoils the view if you look up-river.

I REALLY like the idea of perhaps doing it once a year, perhaps mid way between SELEM in a January/February time frame.
    That would be cool! What about it Will? And Newlin? You guys up for a repeat performance in about 6 months or so?

Adam

Thanks for letting me hang out and listen to all the smart people It was a good time
    Sincerely,
    Ryan Smith
    ScannerMAX Mechanical Engineer
    ryan {at} scannermax.com

I had a great time at VirtuLEM. Thanks to Newlin for doing most of the coordination and to Will for his awesome technological assistance/magic.

I thought the event was as good as a virtual event can be and thoroughly enjoyed everyone's presentations and shows. It was especially nice to see folks like cmb and masterpj who joined from overseas and stayed up really late to participate. I hope we can do a LEM in person soon!

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Sorry I missed it. Was any of it recorded.

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    Was any of it recorded.
    I think the entire event was recorded. Check with Newlin or Will; they had talked about uploading the completed files somewhere (youtube maybe?) but I can't honestly remember where or when that was going to happen.

I know that they broke things up into separate segments (Friday night, Saturday afternoon, Saturday evening, Sunday afternoon, and Sunday evening) specifically so that it would be easier to find the relevant video portion you wanted to watch later on.

Adam