Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Search continues for new SELEM venue for 2021 - post your ideas here!

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Keeping the rain out of the model 168 PSU was another matter.
    Ugh - reminds me of a show I did outside of DC. Was able to keep the rain out of the Lexel 95 supply, but not out of the temporary 3-phase distribution panel we had set up. Blew a breaker in the middle of the show and got bit trying to reset it. 208 hurts!

Quote Originally Posted by HankLloydRight View Post
    If we do end up at Brad's place next year, what about finding another place for the following year much further south (say Georgia or Florida - like Savannah or Jacksonville)? And then just alternate each year north/south.
    I understand the appeal of this idea, but I'd prefer to find a single location that we can build a lasting relationship with. I know the drive is a killer for some folks - especially when they want to bring a lot of equipment - but having the same venue layout year after year makes things a lot easier to manage. That consistency allows everyone (not just me) to make detailed plans for the next year's event.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I wouldn't mind one that isn't too far from NY. Like maybe a few states away.
    Brad's facility is in that range. But Brad has already hinted at the idea of early retirement, and if he ever did leave the Executive Banquet and Conference Center I'm sure we would lose our "insider's deal", so I don't see that facility being an option for the long term. (Even ignoring the lack of a stage or a separate display space, the Executive loses a lot of it's appeal as a venue for SELEM if Brad is no longer running the place.)

This is why I tell people who want to organize a LEM to focus on the venue first. It is both the most important part *and* the hardest one to nail down. Once you have a venue, everything else will pretty much fall into place with some help from the community. But you've got to get a suitable venue locked in first, at a price that you can afford.

I'm Ok with taking some extra time to make sure that we find a good SELEM venue that will work for us far into the future. If we don't find one by early spring of 2021, we'll host SELEM in Delaware and keep looking.

Adam

i have a great space in nyc (queens) that i can use my biz partner owns it( Chris short was out there we had a radiator session )

amazura ball room Jamaica queens ny

we can also have a nys inspector come out to speak

then if there are friday/sat gigs we can run them live
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	am2.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	229.3 KB 
ID:	57100Click image for larger version. 

Name:	am1.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	275.0 KB 
ID:	57101

Default SELEM Venue Channel

Queens! That's even further than Delaware, LOL, though the tie-in with NY and LSO would be cool.

I added a channel to the SELEM Discord server for real-time discussion of new location ideas, if anyone wants to use it. I'm pretty sure most SELEM attendees have access to the server already since VirtuaLEM, so just hop on and you'll see the channel there. Optional, of course, but there.

Hey lu do you have a discord link?

Hey lu do you have a discord link?
    Sure,

https://discord.gg/Hu82ry9

Thanks Lu I just joined

Thanks Lu I just joined
    Schweet! And my message is too short.

Default Savannah options...

Weird that one of my first days back in this forum I see this...

Savannah would be an optimal idea. The Savannah Civic Center would probably be your best best, simply because they have the space that you need, and multiple rooms to utilize. The ballroom would be adequately sized for the event, listed below are the details for it from the official website. I don't know what they'd charge to rent it out however... Due to the "Seating chart," the arena and the theater MIGHT not have quite enough space; however from what I remember about going to events there, there would be a nice seating arrangement for displaying laser shows...

If you look into the Atlanta Record show, the Radisson I think it is might also be a worthwhile venue... Might be a bit pricey though. As for bigger venues, try Armstrong College... SCAD will always be waaaay too high, you should see what they charge poor students! Armstrong, however, has been around for a long time and might be not only interested enough, but have the space needed...

Address:
    301 West Oglethorpe Avenue
    Savannah, GA 31401
    912-651-6550
    Venue Details

MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR. ARENA
    55’h [floor to grid] x 106’w x 194’d = 20,000 sq. ft.
    Capacity: 6,000 – 9,600
    >> View Martin Luther King, Jr. Seating Chart
    JOHNNY MERCER THEATRE
    Total stage dimensions 107′ 8″ x 71′ 4″
    Capacity: 2,524 (1,582 orchestra, 216 mezzanine, 678 balcony)
    >> View Johnny Mercer Theatre Orchestra Seating Chart
    >> View Johnny Mercer Theatre Mezzanine Seating Chart
    BALLROOM
    48′ x 125′ = 6000 sq. ft.
    Capacity: 400 (Theater & Banquet Seating)
    Includes tables, chairs and one room set-up
    >> View Photos
    Certificates of Insurance are required for all events at Savannah Civic Center.

Default As an aside...

I was born and raised in Savannah, BTW... Lots has changed down there but I still go back home every now and then. I have been back 5 or 6 times in the last 5 months. I have contacts down there, family and friends as well, so I'll look into the options and see what's available...

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I would LOVE it if we ended up in Savannah. I could house shop every morning before the 10am start.
    PM Sent...