Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Search continues for new SELEM venue for 2021 - post your ideas here!

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    I would LOVE it if we ended up in Savannah. I could house shop every morning before the 10am start.
    Brad -- you house shop in Newton, you house shop in Utila. Why would Savannah be any different?

Good to see you back here on PL, Steve!

Do you have any idea what the rental fees are like for any of those venues in Savannah? Bear in mind that our budget limit is $5-6K for a 4 day event, not counting the load-in or load-out days.

Adam

Default idea

Many 'movie houses' will not reopen- -
    Not making any $$$ just sitting there-
    some have 3 or more 'screens'\hmm
    beams/animation abstract and lumia.
    the concession stand could be made into a juryrigged kitchen.
    2 or more bathrooms
    big parking lot (small campers?)
    most are not real close to a lot houses. the have fair soundproofing.
    hard to hear the movie playing in the next screen.
    should have AC-
    sound systems.
    nice and dark.

carpet kamping-- airbeds-

There are probably suitable/available ones everywhere.

Some will get razed for new buildings/malls/apts etc.
    Movies were already on the way out- Covid 19 was the nail in the coffin
    I look for some with Realtor's signs- For Sale does not always mean NOT FOR RENT--even for just a long weekend (~6.9 days) some will deal if you have references and cash. I left a deposit check- got it back when returning the keys-$150 long 'weekend' rate. My first attempt at LEMming right after my 1st SELEM--(like 7 weeks after) .. Platinum and Adam (300evil)brought lots of photons-
    -buffo got me hooked.. ty
    hak
    BEYOND-FB3/APC40Mamba Black(clone & currently on loan) 2X 5paghetti & 2 I-Show 2X KGB 1000mW 532 DT40K (pair)XFX 1300 RGB full color RGB 30K DIY 3.5WRGB work in progress et al..assorted ttl chi-jectors--LOTS of LUMIA DIY pjs-
    Powered by Pangolin
    Former (2.5 yrs) ILDA Member- :-(
    uncertified ILDA LSO -- dont ask

Quote Originally Posted by hakzaw1 View Post
    Many 'movie houses' will not reopen- -
    Not making any $$$ just sitting there-
    some have 3 or more 'screens'\hmm
    beams/animation abstract and lumia.
    the concession stand could be made into a juryrigged kitchen.
    2 or more bathrooms
    big parking lot (small campers?)
    most are not real close to a lot houses. the have fair soundproofing.
    hard to hear the movie playing in the next screen.
    should have AC-
    sound systems.
    nice and dark.

carpet kamping-- airbeds-

There are probably suitable/available ones everywhere.

Some will get razed for new buildings/malls/apts etc.
    Movies were already on the way out- Covid 19 was the nail in the coffin
    I look for some with Realtor's signs- For Sale does not always mean NOT FOR RENT--even for just a long weekend (~6.9 days) some will deal if you have references and cash. I left a deposit check- got it back when returning the keys-$150 long 'weekend' rate. My first attempt at LEMming right after my 1st SELEM--(like 7 weeks after) .. Platinum and Adam (300evil)brought lots of photons-
    -buffo got me hooked.. ty
    hak
    Interesting idea. There is one near me that recently called it quits. All summer long they would sit in the parking lot on Saturdays and sell popcorn and Slurpees just to try to make a little money but they put up the "It's been nice" sign up about a month or so ago. If someone wants to try to contact them here is their facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/SixForksCinemas/

If anyone can make contact and it seems promising I'd be willing to do some legwork since it is local to me. But, realistically, I don't see it happening. It's in a nice location, though. Right beside a Home Depot and a Food Lion. Plenty of restaurants near by. Camping in it seems a bit far fetched but their are hotels all over the area.

There are lots of entertainment venues that are closing because of COVID, including movie theaters, and I must admit that the thought of having two or three cinema rooms for a SELEM is a very cool idea.

But I worry that large, multi-screen cinemas are so expensive to operate that the buildings can't stay mostly vacant for very long. Even with the odd private rental now and then, the property managers are almost certainly loosing their shirts. So that tells me that they will need to either re-purpose the facility for something else, or tear it down so a different business can develop the property.

Either way, that makes it hard for them to promise the venue to us even just for next year, to say nothing about having a stable venue for SELEM to return to year after year.

If we can find an old theater that has already been repurposed for private events and is currently doing business like that, then I'd feel much better about the idea. That being said, if the Six Forks Cinema is entertaining the idea of private event rentals and they're willing to book events that are more than 6 months out, it's probably worth asking what they'd charge us for 6 days...

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    There are lots of entertainment venues that are closing because of COVID, including movie theaters, and I must admit that the thought of having two or three cinema rooms for a SELEM is a very cool idea.

But I worry that large, multi-screen cinemas are so expensive to operate that the buildings can't stay mostly vacant for very long. Even with the odd private rental now and then, the property managers are almost certainly loosing their shirts. So that tells me that they will need to either re-purpose the facility for something else, or tear it down so a different business can develop the property.

Either way, that makes it hard for them to promise the venue to us even just for next year, to say nothing about having a stable venue for SELEM to return to year after year.

If we can find an old theater that has already been repurposed for private events and is currently doing business like that, then I'd feel much better about the idea. That being said, if the Six Forks Cinema is entertaining the idea of private event rentals and they're willing to book events that are more than 6 months out, it's probably worth asking what they'd charge us for 6 days...

Adam
    Yep, I agree with all that you said. If we could have SELEM right NOW I imagine finding a place might be possible. But, we can't have it now due to all the COVID restrictions. And, by the time we can have it, these places will hopefully (for their sake) not be willing to fool with us. Until the dust settles it's just too hard to do anything. That's the main reason I don't want to put effort into try to make initial contact.

I did not mean that a theater would be more than a way to gather one or more times until the next SELEM is found. So most likely a one time venue. = I am 5 hrs drive from Dallas- which may be a good choice --several outstanding members there or not far away.
    .. We have been talking about a DFWLEM for many years.
    Just from Texas, counting one guest, I would say there are enough to pull it off IF the cost could be held down. So that would be about 15 -20 souls --more if you add Brad and Platinum..
    They both came to TEXLEM 2012--Jonathon won doorprize FB3 Quickshow donated by AixiZ Laser who I am sure will sponsor us again. Tim Walsh will do what he can. He made STEXLEM 2012 possible in San Antonio. Greg will do his Lumia torture tube demo.
    We have DJ with 7k$ sound system will work for gas money . He is head chef of a big Competitive Cook-Off team. We can fab up smoked meats to bring & reheat --
    AND there is more if we can do this near Dallas.. but I cannot speak for them.. but it would be very awesome.. unless do don't care for live music and epic laser show..

hak

- - - Updated - - -
    BEYOND-FB3/APC40Mamba Black(clone & currently on loan) 2X 5paghetti & 2 I-Show 2X KGB 1000mW 532 DT40K (pair)XFX 1300 RGB full color RGB 30K DIY 3.5WRGB work in progress et al..assorted ttl chi-jectors--LOTS of LUMIA DIY pjs-