Thread: Vector Hack 2020

Default Vector Hack 2020

Did anyone else watch the Vector Hack 2020 live YouTube screening?
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Tune in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8nWhEgXXvQ

10am EST.

Check it out. There are recordings of all of the other presentations up to now.
    Last edited by james; 10-10-2020 at 04:22.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

This was great, did not expect to see radiator featured .... good stuff!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j8nWhEgXXvQ&t=2867s

Skip to 31:19.

James Nolan Gandy offers a silent video of his drawing machines.
    Absolutely breathtaking work.
    This is all hand made mechanisms.
    What an honor to be included in the same section as this guy!

My bit starts at 47:40.

But you should watch my version of the YouTube video rather than this one because they down-scaled it to 720.

So watch this instead in HD, please! (1080).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSlXkJdynAg&t=1524s

Then go back to the VH video and drop in at 1:21:19 for the live video chat with the Vector Hack team and me.
    Last edited by james; 10-10-2020 at 19:09.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j8nWhEgXXvQ&t=2867s

Skip to 31:19.

James Nolan Gandy offers a silent video of his drawing machines.
    Absolutely breathtaking work.
    This is all hand made mechanisms.
    What an honor to be included in the same section as this guy!

My bit starts at 47:40.

But you should watch my version of the YouTube video rather than this one because they down-scaled it to 720.

So watch this instead in HD, please! (1080).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSlXkJdynAg&t=1524s

Then go back to the VH video and drop in at 1:21:19 for the live video chat with the Vector Hack team and me.
    Thanks for mentioning James Nolan Gandy - that took me off for an internet voyage of tangental discovery...
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Here's a photo of some stupid thing I built in the mid 1990s which today's slanguage might call a "vector hack".

It is an oscillator in the (if I remember correctly) 100s of KHz range that the operator sweeps the frequency of by toying with the ferrite slug visible projecting from the left of the coil. Notice the taped together LED / phototransistor by which a crude AM is accomplished. When given an input signal from an analog synthesizer, the effect of luminous squeezy filled in blobs floating by was not too shabby.

This is in the same series of useless junk, I mean vector image experiments I wasted time building as the KQO effect previously mentioned in the CYGN-B discussion:

https://www.photonlexicon.com/forums...3-CYGN-B/page8
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100sKHz_BlobEffect.jpg  

I'm not sure just what qualifies as a vector hack, but way back when - I knew a guy that put a mirror on a small rubber motor mount and screwed the other side of the motor mount to a board. If you positioned the mirror in the path of his small HeNe laser and twanged the mirror...
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Both of the previous posts sound like fun to me. When I was about 14 or so, I started on my life long passion of designing and building speakers. I glued a tiny mirror chip on an 8 inch woofer and let just a little beam of sunlight in through the window to hit it. I through that was pretty cool.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials