Thread: Compressed air supply for valve control

Default Compressed air supply for valve control

I'm putting together a high vacuum system which incorporates several bellows valves; all the surplus valves I've located are either manually operated or pneumatically controlled. Given that I need to be able to control the valves via my electronic control system, I've gone for the pneumatically operated valves. I'd like the system to be self contained and not reliant on a shop air supply, what suggestions do you have for a low volume pump that would be suitable for my requirements? Preferably something that can be found surplus if possible; the valves I'm using require 75 PSIg to operate.

Quote Originally Posted by NobleGas View Post
    I'm putting together a high vacuum system which incorporates several bellows valves; all the surplus valves I've located are either manually operated or pneumatically controlled. Given that I need to be able to control the valves via my electronic control system, I've gone for the pneumatically operated valves. I'd like the system to be self contained and not reliant on a shop air supply, what suggestions do you have for a low volume pump that would be suitable for my requirements? Preferably something that can be found surplus if possible; the valves I'm using require 75 PSIg to operate.
    I don't know what size is acceptable for your project, but I'd run a small single-piston compressor if a low noise amount and a modest footprint is acceptable. An alternative is a small CO2 bottle with a regulator if swapping the bottle out when it runs out is not an issue.

Both these solutions are what they use in compressive haze machines so they can be considered pretty reliable...

Quote Originally Posted by NobleGas View Post
    Look into converting an old refrigerator compressor to an air compressor. They are virtually silent and should have the capacity for what you need. Plenty of YouTube videos on how to do it.

Occasionally Bambi BB8/BB15 compressors show up at realatively sensible prices from time to time on eBay. Maybe one of those?
    I've never use their tiny ones from the models above, but I've had several of the much larger ones over the years and they are absolutely brilliant.

All the best,
    Dan
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -