Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Laser growing up

The version of Tank you've described dates to Laserium I. The blue and green scan glasses were common diffused Plexiglas of the time. The yellow looked like it was made/molded from some sort of embossed decorative glass. Basically the yellow looked like a coarse fresnel lens.

Laserium used a single sided pebbled Plexiglas for a lot of effects over the years. I think it might have been P5, but I've never been able to source it in the last decade. Everything is a finer pebble and isn't actually flat on the "flat" surface.

Whittemore-Durgin Glass Company has a "granite" art glass that's better than the Plexiglas I've found to date. I've toyed with using my little CNC mill to machine Lumia, but that's way back burner...
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Here are a couple of photos, I think these are from a CS series projector.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1392.JPG  

IMG_1396.JPG  

Yes, at least the dual turret photo is from as Concert Series projector. In the top photo the bottom left standoff looks like the plastic used as the green scan glass in Tank. In the bottom photo the turret on the right is the Rock Turret and the effect at about 7 o'clock is the plastic used for the blue in Tank. (It was also used as an standoff with the Corelli wheel (the single sided pebbled Plexiglas I mentioned recently) in Neptune also in Laserium 1.) When I did Laserium 1 in 2013, I motor drove both wheels so I could play both. On the Mark 4 and the early Mark 6 the laserium panel motor speeds weren't adjustable from the control panel.
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by laserist View Post
    Yes, at least the dual turret photo is from as Concert Series projector. In the top photo the bottom left standoff looks like the plastic used as the green scan glass in Tank. In the bottom photo the turret on the right is the Rock Turret and the effect at about 7 o'clock is the plastic used for the blue in Tank. (It was also used as an standoff with the Corelli wheel (the single sided pebbled Plexiglas I mentioned recently) in Neptune also in Laserium 1.) When I did Laserium 1 in 2013, I motor drove both wheels so I could play both. On the Mark 4 and the early Mark 6 the laserium panel motor speeds weren't adjustable from the control panel.
    Thanks for posting Greg and to laserist for identifying the turret elements.

I ran across this digitized Sony Beta video by Laserium I have from 1982 or 83. There is historical relevance here. I've posted comments on my youtube posting of it.

https://youtu.be/qk4X5JO3qhw

Quote Originally Posted by lasermaster1977 View Post
    Thanks for posting Greg and to laserist for identifying the turret elements.

I ran across this digitized Sony Beta video by Laserium I have from 1982 or 83. There is historical relevance here. I've posted comments on my youtube posting of it.

https://youtu.be/qk4X5JO3qhw
    The crude Laser Images part might be from Laser Images but the beam brush stuff no f...ing way. In '83 Laser Images fell hard into it's death spiral, the guys in R&D had developed feedback scan amps for PD-100s and every planetarium projector had non-feedback G124s or worse. Yeah, No.
    Last edited by laserist; 01-01-2021 at 13:49.

The crude Laser Images part might be from Laser Images but the beam brush stuff no f...ing way. In '83 Laser Images fell hard into it's death spiral, the guys in R&D had developing feedback scan amps for PD-100s and every planetarium projector had non-feedback G124s or worse. Yeah, No.
    Interesting, thanks for the insight. I'm not sure what you are referring as "the beam brush stuff", could you enlighten me. Are you referring to the image morphing? There are though, many elements of the video that are by Laser Images, like the face, the word Laser. The face could have been accomplished with non-feedback galvos and it appears in a Laser Images show on YouTube. I wish I could remember where I got this video back in the early 80's as it was from my Sony Betamax tape library from that time.

Edit: I wonder if it came from SubLogic?
    Last edited by lasermaster1977; 01-01-2021 at 12:49.

Quote Originally Posted by lasermaster1977 View Post
    Interesting, thanks for the insight. I'm not sure what you are referring as "the beam brush stuff", could you enlighten me. Are you referring to the image morphing? There are though, many elements of the video that are by Laser Images, like the face, the word Laser. The face could have been accomplished with non-feedback galvos and it appears in a Laser Images show on YouTube. I wish I could remember where I got this video back in the early 80's as it was from my Sony Betamax tape library from that time.

Edit: I wonder if it came from SubLogic?
    Looking at it again there's nothing that Laser Images couldn't have done. Perhaps what I saw as a beam brush was simply blooming. Still I was pretty senior in 1984, and while the images are primitive enough for the time, feeding image rotation with a quadrature oscillator wasn't wasn't done until later.

These are being talked about in the CYGN-A thread.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lumia_effect.jpg  

Lumia_effect2.jpg  

Lumia_effect3.jpg  

Looking at it again there's nothing that Laser Images couldn't have done. Perhaps what I saw as a beam brush was simply blooming. Still I was pretty senior in 1984, and while the images are primitive enough for the time, feeding image rotation with a quadrature oscillator wasn't wasn't done until later.
    One problem with aging is having too many wonderful experiences to recollect accurately. I think the video actually was produced by SubLogic, an earlier creator of a 3D graphics package for the Apple II and PC. They were also the creator of Flight Simulator (I have an early version for the Apple II) that later Microsoft bought and further developed.
    They were keen for the laser industry to adopt their software (therefore the Laser bit) which included 3D vector graphic output and a 3D-to-2D frame translation outputs. Tim Walsh and I were early adopters but I think Tim used it more than I.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    These are being talked about in the CYGN-A thread.
    Thanks Greg, that's what I've been looking for.