Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello! New guy here with some questions regarding animation lasers

A modified sound device is not just another laser DAC. It's a sound device. It is generic. It is supported by every OS and every app that plays multi-channel waves. It exists totally outside of laser projection technology. That's the whole point! LaserBoy is all about letting people explore the possibilities of laser display and other vector based artforms in a totally generic way. Do it yourself!

LB does not stream to any kind of DAC, sound device or otherwise. It just reads and writes files. You have to play the waves it makes with an application for playing waves.

James.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Consider dumping the scanners and buying pangolin 506 scanners. Likely the lasers are fine. It’s not hard with your skills to do this. Essentially rip the old ones out align the scanners and bolt the drivers and supplies in the case. Rewire to ilda connector. Toss the inessential motherboard they gave you in the trash. If it has the laser drivers you could keep them or replace. You will be left with a really capable unit. I run saturns at 60kps and run 2500 points with ease.

if you allow corners to slightly round you’ll be able to cut points a lot. Be less picky. It helps. I’m obsessed with white balance so I get picky.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

As others have said... when you get the FB3 and Quickshow, I think you will be much happier. I personally have found a lot of the onboard stuff built into the cheaper Asian projectors really looks like crap so that may very well be what you're seeing. As has also been stated, Quickshow is an extremely capable program and probably very very satisfactory. If you want to make the leap to Beyond, you don't have to buy a new DAC, just the software license and then download the software for free. License is good "forever". And, the time to buy it (should you wish to) is coming up soon with Pangolin's annual holiday sale.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE your analogy of the computer being the cheap part and the software as being where you need to put your money to get anything done. So often we see new people buy a laser and then be hesitant about buying what they need to control it and wanting to go as cheap as possible because they didn't realize that after spending "all this money" on the laser, that they didn't have much left in the budget for control or, a hazer, or crankstand, or anything else they didn't know they needed.

You've got the right attitude to fit right in to the laser hobby, err... addiction, err... insanity. Welcome to the forum.
    PM Sent...