Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a DAC and software

I'm strongly considering the FB3 LA Freak Package. What I am wondering is what elso I would need. I have a set of 30k Scanners and Galvos, a maXYZ module w/ power supply. I understand the LAFreak package includes ALL of the software needed to make and play basic displays. If all that works together I'll go ahead and purchace the FB3 board!
    CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)

I sent an email to Pangolin here in the forums. I hope he gets back to me soon.
    I believe thier prefered method of contact is at this link: http://www.pangolin.com/contact/index.php

I'm not completely familiar with the LA Studio software for the FB3. I just got a lisence file to run the LA Studio software on my QM2K. From what I saw with just poking around, it looks pretty darn neat and very well loaded up with features. I asume the LA Studio software for the FB3 is the same as the one for the QM2K?

He did get back to me as said exactly what you just said. Would there be anything else I would need?
    CLICKY!!!

He did get back to me as said exactly what you just said. Would there be anything else I would need?
    Looks like it. As you said above, you have the scanners and a Maxymodule. So you just need a the FB3, something to mount it all on and some misc components such as fan, cable, power supply and etc. Those are the 3 big things; DAC, scanhead and laser.

You'll probably need to rig up a DB25 connector to connect to your scan amps and laser wiring. I did. That's basically all I had to do to get up and running.

DZ:

Yeah, the La Studio software runs on the QM2000 or the FB3. The Samba software also runs on the FB3, and comes with the board. You also get Live Pro if you buy the FB3 Evaluation kit, though I don't know if you get that when you just buy the bare FB3 board without the DMX daughter card. I thought Bill said you didn't, but so far everyone I've talked to said that yes, you do get it. Eh - maybe I'm remembering wrong. (Woulnd't be the first time...)

LaserBen;

Like everyone else has already said - you need a laser, some scanners (which will come with amps and a power supply), a controller, the software for the controller, and a PC to run everything. Then you need a plate (or better yet, a box) to mount everything in, and you'll need some wires and connectors to hook everything up. You have all the parts except for the box to put it all in and the misc connectors and wire to complete the hookup. The wire and connectors will cost you about 7 bucks at Radio Shack. The mounting plate can be something as simple as a piece of wood, though metal is preferred. (Wood swells and shrinks with changes in moisture and temperature, and really isn't good for your alignment.) Metal also helps to keep things cool...

Adam

I have a bread board I am going to try to use. I was wondering about any other electronics because the FB3 said it put out +-2.5V 8 bit to the scanners and the scanners say they take +-5V Analogue. What's up with this? Also, it dosn't make since that the DAC only draws 300mA but provides TTL and Analogue to multiple items. The scanners should be here any minute now, along with my new bike fork.
    CLICKY!!!

I have a bread board I am going to try to use. I was wondering about any other electronics because the FB3 said it put out +-2.5V 8 bit to the scanners and the scanners say they take +-5V Analogue. What's up with this? Also, it doesn't make since that the DAC only draws 300mA but provides TTL and Analogue to multiple items. The scanners should be here any minute now, along with my new bike fork.
    CLICKY!!!

Is that 2.5v 8 bit to the scanners or to the lasers? If it is to the lasers it makes sense. If to the scanners then I am really surprised. Also, is the FB3 output to the scanners differential or single?

Two 12-bit for X & Y
    Four 8-bit for color
    Optional TTL outputs
    (no audio)

I was mistaken about the bit rate. It is 12 instead of 8. The 8 is for the lasers. I still don't understand how bits translate to a differential signal.
    CLICKY!!!