Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Styropyro

I'm a little late to this thread, but I'd like to throw in my support for Drake (AKA "Styropyro"). While I agree that some of his videos on Youtube are a bit sensational, you need to understand that Youtube is becoming a revenue stream for Drake, and having a little bombast in your personality is a good way to convince people to subscribe. In person I found Drake to be far more reserved. Even though he is something of a minor celebrity in the Youtube crown he nonetheless felt humbled in the presence of so many experienced laserists at SELEM.

Drake is young, passionate, and driven; his future looks bright indeed. He's very intelligent, and I thoroughly enjoyed chatting with him. He was interested in everything at SELEM, and like so many first-timers I could tell that he didn't want to miss anything. I think he did a pretty good job on that score too; I know I saw him in just about every area in the venue, from the auditorium, to the cafeteria, to Club-SELEM, to the ion laser work room, and at all of the special presentations as well. I know at the end of SELEM he was very happy that he made the trip.

In the past I've shared my misgivings about some of the videos that Drake has posted, but after meeting him in person I understand that he is not reckless or cavalier when it comes to safety, and that anything in his videos that appears to suggest such behavior is merely an act to increase the hype. Plus I have to admit that there's a little kid inside of me that would love to play with some of the dangerous toys he has constructed.

Adam

Default little kid inside

Ya, I'll have to agree. I would love to play his toys!

I love his work !

His discord is one of the worst places I have ever been to. It got so bad that styropyro and I are no longer civil to one another. I personally don't like his videos and I think it does harm to the hobby but that's just my opinion

Default changed my mind..

after meeting drake I ditto the above posts.
    I see it this way--what he does. somebody will do that and he is the best man for the 'job'. He works hard on the safety aspect. He sets the bar SO HIGH I think he has discouraged more from trying to top him.
    Hope he makes SELEM 2021 in Newark Del. first week in August.
    Hope I make it too- Might need a ride from Tx. ask around for me.
    BEYOND-FB3/APC40Mamba Black(clone & currently on loan) 2X 5paghetti & 2 I-Show 2X KGB 1000mW 532 DT40K (pair)XFX 1300 RGB full color RGB 30K DIY 3.5WRGB work in progress et al..assorted ttl chi-jectors--LOTS of LUMIA DIY pjs-
    Powered by Pangolin
    Former (2.5 yrs) ILDA Member- :-(
    uncertified ILDA LSO -- dont ask

I also enjoyed meeting him; he was next table to us at the cafeteria.
    And his yellow pointer MADE the lumia jam we had.

...Mike
    Runs with Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by clickamouse View Post
    I also enjoyed meeting him; he was next table to us at the cafeteria.
    And his yellow pointer MADE the lumia jam we had.

...Mike
    I just stumbled upon this PL thread. wow, I mean WOW. Styropyro is extremely good at making extraordinary videos that are extremely well articulated, and that keeps one engaged if not addicted when considering his topic of choice (and one that is many of our interests).

Very impressed also by his broad experience with lasers, laser safety concerns of many laser types and his intellect.

There's a few things I don't like about him but whenever I brought it up I always got a lot of flak from his fans. But I have had others agree with me. I just don't see him as most do. Doesn't mean I hate him but I've seen his dark side and it ain't pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    There's a few things I don't like about him but whenever I brought it up I always got a lot of flak from his fans. But I have had others agree with me. I just don't see him as most do. Doesn't mean I hate him but I've seen his dark side and it ain't pretty.
    I hear ya'. I'm an ol' fart, styropyro is a youngster "who likes burning stuff" with lasers, plus knowing and understanding their science. Not my ideal for their use but like him, in my younger days, I and "my comrades in coherent photons" were impressed (briefly, I might add) when our 1 watt, 5 watt or 20 watt ion gas lasers could burn stuff. But we kept it to lighting matches and wood burning, creating dark lines on wood. Not sure what his "fans" like about him, but I find him to be one of the rare people who have a gift for explaining things with a high degree of idea conveyance in a minimum amount of words.

Quote Originally Posted by lasermaster1977 View Post
    I hear ya'. I'm an ol' fart, styropyro is a youngster "who likes burning stuff" with lasers, plus knowing and understanding their science. Not my ideal for their use but like him, in my younger days, I and "my comrades in coherent photons" were impressed (briefly, I might add) when our 1 watt, 5 watt or 20 watt ion gas lasers could burn stuff. But we kept it to lighting matches and wood burning, creating dark lines on wood. Not sure what his "fans" like about him, but I find him to be one of the rare people who have a gift for explaining things with a high degree of idea conveyance in a minimum amount of words.
    Well said. I feel exactly that. I think I got a hard time explaining myself so I get into fights too often.