Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Member from California

Default New Member from California

Hi, everyone.

I'm new to the forum but not new to lasers. I've been interested since before mass-produced 532nm laser pens flooded the market.
    I'm known on LPF as RA_pierce.
    I'm a motorcycle enthusiast, a photographer, and an evolutionary biologist (specialize in speciation genomics).

I came to this forum because I'm interested in learning how to make a compact 405nm & 635nm projector that can display a static shape for a friend's backyard bar.

To show off what I can do, here is a photo of a current work in progress - a pointer featuring a 4mW 561nm laser. The housing is aluminum-bronze and the heatsink is made of aluminum. I cut the features from rough stock by hand with files, abrasives, saws, and a drill press. There is still more work to do on it. It's nothing fancy in terms of the electronics and doesn't rely on software, so there is a lot of new stuff I have to learn.
    I plan to construct a mini projector in a similar fashion and with similar materials because I find aluminum-bronze particularly beautiful, as far as metals are concerned.

Default Hey RA

good to see you here,,
    TTYL

hak
    BEYOND-FB3/APC40Mamba Black(clone & currently on loan) 2X 5paghetti & 2 I-Show 2X KGB 1000mW 532 DT40K (pair)XFX 1300 RGB full color RGB 30K DIY 3.5WRGB work in progress et al..assorted ttl chi-jectors--LOTS of LUMIA DIY pjs-
    Powered by Pangolin
    Former (2.5 yrs) ILDA Member- :-(
    uncertified ILDA LSO -- dont ask

For what you described, you should probably just get a cheapo party laser with an SD card reader and learn how to make a vector image in the right file format.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    For what you described, you should probably just get a cheapo party laser with an SD card reader and learn how to make a vector image in the right file format.
    That sounds exactly like what I want - except I want to make it myself to the extent I'm able. For me, at least half of the enjoyment is doing the work and learning.
    A quick search of eBay shows me a bunch of fugly ~1W RGB projectors that have more features than I care for. I want to keep it as simplistic and compact as possible.
    That might be a good starting point for research, though. Thanks!

Cool coleonyx

Quote Originally Posted by coleonyx View Post
    Hi, everyone.

I'm new to the forum but not new to lasers. I've been interested since before mass-produced 532nm laser pens flooded the market.
    I'm known on LPF as RA_pierce.
    I'm a motorcycle enthusiast, a photographer, and an evolutionary biologist (specialize in speciation genomics).

I came to this forum because I'm interested in learning how to make a compact 405nm & 635nm projector that can display a static shape for a friend's backyard bar.

To show off what I can do, here is a photo of a current work in progress - a pointer featuring a 4mW 561nm laser. The housing is aluminum-bronze and the heatsink is made of aluminum. I cut the features from rough stock by hand with files, abrasives, saws, and a drill press. There is still more work to do on it. It's nothing fancy in terms of the electronics and doesn't rely on software, so there is a lot of new stuff I have to learn.
    I plan to construct a mini projector in a similar fashion and with similar materials because I find aluminum-bronze particularly beautiful, as far as metals are concerned.

welcome to the forum,
    your build shown looks good, nice.
    your pretty handy with drill press, saw ,files and sand paper. it looks cnc to me! Awesome!

The nice thing about an SD card reader is that it is self-contained. It doesn't need any external signals. That's really about the only nice thing about them. If you really are interested in DIY and learning about how this all works in the most generic and direct way, you should check out my YouTube play list in my signature.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Default Amazing work

First I`d like to give my thumbs up for the metalwork you have done. The finish and the perfect fit, show a person with LOTS of patience. I definently are not there at all. I have done my bit of builds, and it have been a steep and costly. Nevertheless very satisfying, beeing able to put togheter a working projector. I thought I might give you my thoughts on what to ask yourself, and gather information about prior to start buying parts for your build.

1. You say 405nm or 635nm. This would be easy to change later, but consider the fact that 405nm will require a LOT more power to be equally visible for human eye than 635nm. Requirement for cooling are larger with 405nm. (Just as a reminder as you probably know this from experience)
    2. Complexity of image you want to show. The Galvos you need to get the result you expect are an important issue. When i first startet out building, i did not know how much flickering a complexed image would cause, and how bad the image quality would be with the cheapest set of galvos i could find on ebay. Post a picture of what you want to show, and we can give you advice in what direction to go wit galvos.
    3. SD vs ILDA/DAC. As already been said SD might cut it, but that is totally up to the complexity of the image and imagequality you want to display. I have several SD capable projectors, and the same ILDA file always look much better using ILDA/DAC than using the build in SD reader and internal systems. I don`t have an technical explanation for this, but it is my experience. (I don`t have the FB4 with SD so i can`t speak for that unit)
    4. Use proper PSU`s. Choose a unit with enough headroom, so it can run nice and cool. Better build a little bigger than to hot. Consider early on if you are to build active or passive cooling. Passive can be done in the powerrange you are describing.
    5. Post pictures of your progess, so that we might find inspiration, and ideas looking at your work.

Good luck with your build.

Espen
    __________________________________________________ __________

More projects than time available.
    More projects started than finished.
    More money spent than earned.
    More failure than success.
    Just got to love lasers!

Laser Warning

Welcome to PhotonLexicon, Coleonyx!

Rest assured that you've come to the right place if you're thinking of building your own laser projector. You've already demonstrated that you have the skills needed to accomplish this feat. I suggest that you seriously consider building a full-color projector though. Going full color doesn't add much in terms of complexity but the end result is a lot more satisfying. True, it does add to the cost (3 lasers instead of just 1, plus the dichros and mounts to combine the beams), but prices for laser diodes and drivers are lower now than they have ever been.

There is one thing you'll need to be cautious about though, and that is your plan to use it in your friend's Bar. This is technically illegal; any laser projector operating in the general public space must be certified as compliant under a laser manufacturer's variance, and the operator of such a projector must also hold a laser light show variance. Both of these variances are issued by the CDRH (Center for Devices and Radiological Health, a branch of the US FDA that regulates products that contain lasers). Note also that the process of certifying a projector under a manufacturer's variance requires the filing of a laser product report, which is a hefty document that frequently runs to 100 pages or more.

Now, with all that being said, assuming that the projector is built to a reasonable standard (that is, it has an adequate housing, a proper electrical ground, a redundant means of beam attenuation in case of an emergency, and an emergency stop switch and interlock circuit) and that the projector is installed and used in a safe manner (rigidly mounted so that beams are always at least 3 meters above the floor, beams aimed in a safe direction away from personnel or reflective surfaces, beams terminating on a surface that will not catch fire, emergency stop button within reach of bartender), then it's likely that you will be able to fly beneath the radar. If you do everything in a safe manner and follow the rest of the rules, then even though you don't have a variance and the projector is uncertified, it's very likely that no one will ever notice or question you.

It's sort of like speeding on the highway. Doing 60 mph in a 55 mph zone is a risk, but it's a very slight risk and even if you get caught it's likely that you'll get off with a warning. But for every CDRH rule you break, it's like adding another 5 MPH to your speed. Remove the E-stop circuit and now you're doing 65 in a 55. Mount the projector too low so the beams are only 7 feet off the floor and now you're doing 70 in a 55. Allow the beam to bounce off the mirror behind the bar and reflect out into the rest of the bar and now you're doing 20 over the limit and are just begging to get caught (or for someone else to call the cops on you).

It is possible to build your own projector and then fill out all the paperwork yourself to be perfectly legal, and if you want to go down that road there are plenty of folks here who can help you. Alternately, you may decide to build a proof-of-concept projector yourself first, just to see how it looks. Then if you really like the effect you can opt to purchase a certified projector (which should come with a laser light show variance) to install in the bar. Or, you may decide to take your chances and install your home-made projector in the bar even though it's not legal. But if you opt for this third option I would caution you to take every precaution you can to ensure that the projector itself has all the safety features that would otherwise be required of a certified unit and that you install the projector with all of the CDRH rules in mind with regard to audience safety.

Adam

Default USFDACDRH

Adam brings valid points and info, Being an LSO my self and operating a laser show production (Manufacturer) Filling out an Annual Show Report is not easy task but of all the CDRH paper work it is by far the simplest.
    By Federal Law you can not own a laser projector or operate one with out a Variance and with out having a LSO present, this includes in your own home.
    A lot of us have done it including me. We have all had are dangerous play with lasers, as Adam Said you have shown some good skills and should have no problem building your own RGB projector over 5mw keep in mind class 2, 3, 4 lasers a laser splash off of any partial reflective surface like white painted wall, a peace of candy wrapper " Cellophane" glass cup ,a ring on your finger, or neckless, a flying insect, water the list goes on! can instantly damage yours or some one else's eyes permanently! and having a Variance and being an LSO will not save you from the legal responsibility of a laser strike to some one. Be careful, be sure, be right, and be ready for Murphy to strike!
    I look forward to seeing you projector as the laser pointer you built is an indication of your skills, it will be a pretty damn cool build!

Hey James, in which thread is it best to discuss LaserBoy?