Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My dream: total Immersion, only achievable by drugs?

Default My dream: total Immersion, only achievable by drugs?

Hello,

Maybe this is the wrong forum, because I want to address something that to me is a fundamental lack of wholeness in man-made art creation.

With all our technology, we are always stimulating just one or two of our senses, most often the visual or oral channels.
    This is all most of us think of, and where we put all our energy into.
    With all our achievements, we focus on a tiny speck of time and space, maybe a painted canvas, small in size compared to the angle our eyes can perceive.

For proof just look at all or culture, with a few exceptions(books, perfumes, cooking, sex toys etc.).
    I always missed being able to create and manufacture a full surrounding to human perception and senses, accessing and feeding as many senses as possible, in the most complete way thinkable.
    All the multimedia artists seem to go the right way, but I cannot see anything emerging form there targeted to more than oral and visual.

I came across this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThkymYRP1g8, it would make a good start, but it is still in the earth's gravity field.

Obviously you could (quite easily) achieve this with drugs like Ayahuasca or LSD, but that's a personal experience, that cannot be controlled or crafted by an artist or engineer, and is not permanent, to be retrospected or shared and discussed with other individuals.

Up for discussion:
    Have You ever wondered how to create a truly encircling environment?
    Have you felt or regretted the impossibility to do so?
    Is it really good to stick to what we know?

(excuse me if my wording is not suitable, but English is not my spoken language)
    Last edited by shivahoj; 12-17-2020 at 02:45.

I get high on my own bad self.

In this sense of creation unbounded, making dinner or paving a way through a forest is the true essence of creating art.

Life is what you make it. It’s undecided until you measure it. Ever try to just be in the moment fully without judging it or giving it a name. Total immersion is the present. There is a secondary possible. You can step out of now into now and watch now from a neutral observer position but that’s like watching tv and you can’t change the channel. To true ly do so would land you in a mental hospital being feed on a tube.

now is now and it doesn’t come back.

Imax was an attempt at immersive theater. You might look up IMERSA, it's a conference for immersive theater. Disney's Soaring Over California and other rides. Fulldome in planetariums usually leaves me leaves me asleep, but they mean well. Perhaps the underlying problem is that for every plus you make to an experience you're also multiplying the probability of breaking whatever it is that makes it work.

“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.”
    ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Airman's Odyssey

Quote Originally Posted by shivahoj View Post
    Hello,

Maybe this is the wrong forum, because I want to address something that to me is a fundamental lack of wholeness in man-made art creation.

With all our technology, we are always stimulating just one or two of our senses, most often the visual or oral channels.
    This is all most of us think of, and where we put all our energy into.
    With all our achievements, we focus on a tiny speck of time and space, maybe a painted canvas, small in size compared to the angle our eyes can perceive.

For proof just look at all or culture, with a few exceptions(books, perfumes, cooking, sex toys etc.).
    I always missed being able to create and manufacture a full surrounding to human perception and senses, accessing and feeding as many senses as possible, in the most complete way thinkable.
    All the multimedia artists seem to go the right way, but I cannot see anything emerging form there targeted to more than oral and visual.

I came across this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThkymYRP1g8, it would make a good start, but it is still in the earth's gravity field.

Obviously you could (quite easily) achieve this with drugs like Ayahuasca or LSD, but that's a personal experience, that cannot be controlled or crafted by an artist or engineer, and is not permanent, to be retrospected or shared and discussed with other individuals.

Up for discussion:
    Have You ever wondered how to create a truly encircling environment?
    Have you felt or regretted the impossibility to do so?
    Is it really good to stick to what we know?

(excuse me if my wording is not suitable, but English is not my spoken language)
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

... there are actually several attempts to realize "brain-interfaces" with connecting chips with specific regions.

So, if developing this further, there should be more possibillities too, not only for neural input/output/cross-connection, but some sort of "multisensoric immersion" too

Viktor
    Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - https://reprap.org/forum/list.php?426
    Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - https://reprap.org/forum/list.php?425

I like to paint. I am also a musician. I like to paint music. I believe that every human has some level of synesthesia. Some people claim to be overwhelmed by it. But I look at it this way: We can all imagine what a song sounds like in our heads. We can picture a person's face in our imagination. It's not at all the same thing as actually hearing or seeing. It's subtle. I think this is how synesthesia works in almost everyone. So the trick is to try to figure out what colors, shapes and patterns I can put on a canvas that will elicit an imaginary aural response from the visual image presented on canvas. I am actually trying to paint a kind of code that lights up the cerebral cortex in an exciting way. The human brain (the CC in particular) is a super adept pattern recognition machine. Just about all of our knowledge of every kind is based on patterns. We find patterns where there are none. Our brains reward us with good feelings when we perceive and assimilate patterns. There has always been a strong connection between visual and aural sensations. If you are reading this now, you might note that the written word is a visual representation of the spoken word. How did that happen? We might all take that for granted, but we know that not every civilization has the written word. And different cultures went about recording information with very different systems. Another thing that fascinates me is that a pattern found in one place can become a kind of empty scaffold or nondescript structure apart from the object that presented the pattern to the one who perceived it. Later this empty structure can be used to make connections between disparate concepts that might never have occurred in the mind if not for the recognition and decomposition of the pattern that was observed. In other words, a mathematician might study a painting or listen to some jazz and really get into it. Later the impression that was left in his mind will allow him to see connections that lead him to a solution of some other totally non-related problem. This is what motivates my art. This is what Extra Stimulus Inc. is all about.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

achievable if you have deep pockets.
    I suggest some VR and a teslasuit if you really don't mind going that far.

Personally you can come far with an oculus quest 2 and a good gaming pc if you are on a budget.

Default Drugs Destroy Creativity

Yes most of us have done drugs and felt creative "meth is a good one for this and so is pot" As time goes by the crack head art becomes the chase, polishing the bowl, and being the perfect connoisseur of the perfect hit.
    Loosing there interest in there many creative unfinished projects scattered every were, and pot to joint to blunt to bong, Dime bag to QP all to get ready to chill and to talk about how good or bad the kind bud was! Save your self and what's left of your creativity, every hit takes a peace away of creativity.
    Van Gogh, leonardo, all the true greats didn't crack out and smoke in there creativity, They were just bored to death and had way to much time free time on there hands!
    There's no creativity in dope until the end where they sit in a institution with a box of cryons and coloring book and supervisor.

Quote Originally Posted by Lasertize View Post
    Yes most of us have done drugs and felt creative "meth is a good one for this and so is pot" As time goes by the crack head art becomes the chase, polishing the bowl, and being the perfect connoisseur of the perfect hit.
    Loosing there interest in there many creative unfinished projects scattered every were, and pot to joint to blunt to bong, Dime bag to QP all to get ready to chill and to talk about how good or bad the kind bud was! Save your self and what's left of your creativity, every hit takes a peace away of creativity.
    Van Gogh, leonardo, all the true greats didn't crack out and smoke in there creativity, They were just bored to death and had way to much time free time on there hands!
    There's no creativity in dope until the end where they sit in a institution with a box of cryons and coloring book and supervisor.
    Don't lump psychedelics in with the "drugs" you are dissing.