Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Selem !!!

The 3 Watt CNI that was measured by Steve Robert's thermopile as >3+ Watts and hardly bigger than a Maxyxmod (less the psu) was extremely - uh - I'm at a loss here --yes disturbing, could be it..amazing .. or confounding .. or exciting .. or fuckme .. or .. idunno ..it was definitely pumpinshitgrinninomygodwhatisthatfuckinthingahhhye sigottahaveone ofthose ohh yep..p.. ohhh

Steve-o;

I know exactly what you mean there, pal. I can't believe I actually put my hand in the beam path. What a fucking idiot I was!

For those of you who weren't there, it went something like this... <Buffo puts hand in beam> "Wow, that's really brigh - YOW! Fuck! Shit! That's hot!" Followed by a chorus of "What did you expect, dumb ass?" and copious laughter.

Yeah, that beast was scary. But there's a small part inside of me that wants one...

Adam

Adam, Yep without the ol i'net at work I'd get ahellofalot more done, but it wouldnt be half as fun
    I put my hand in the beam path too! Ouch!!
    When it reflected off of the pizza box do you remember SteveR's reaction?
    "Please dont do that- That;s bordering on over class II specular radiation" or something like that.. That was fun! If I hadent been so f;ckin hungover from friday's party I would have had a great time better
    Still great tho Yee haaa!!!

Quote Originally Posted by steve-o View Post
    When it reflected off of the pizza box do you remember SteveR's reaction?
    "Please dont do that- That;s bordering on over class II specular radiation"
    Actually, I think his comment was that it was bordering on CLASS IIIB specular radiation. And yeah, it was scary!

That's why I can't believe Johnathan refused my goggles (OD 12 at 512 nm, OD 14 at 488 nm, so probably somewhere inbetween for 532) when he was lighting the cigarette. Yeah, he had his eyes closed most of the time, but still. (Afterwards he said he could see the reflected light of the laser coming off the cigarette through his CLOSED EYELIDS!)

Like I said - that laser was scary. Cool, but scary!

As for the party - well, that was a whole 'nother experience. But I had a blast. We *must* make that a permanent part of SELEM. (The pre-event party the night before!) Great times...

Adam

Still wouldnt trade the great time though.. even though i fucked up.. oh well, were all only human

I gotta sign off now ,, P.U.I and all that stuff...

edit> Adam you posted again--it's like talking in real time .. i cant keep up ..
    ok ..beddy time now yall zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    Last edited by steve-o; 08-30-2007 at 16:51.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Buffo View Post
    PS: Anyone check out the 3 watt green video yet?
    That thing is a lil scary... It drowns out everythign else.

I wonder how much they paid$ for it?? I bet it was a healthy sum

Default Selem 2007

ok, to take this thread back to the beginning'

SELEM WAS FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!

I came a newbie with little laser knowledge, and went home with my little pea brain head, so stuffed with information i thought it was going to burst. I saw at one time ,at least 8 different projectors and or lasers
    all sitting there on the stage , WOW . I saw a near and far field allignment, several galvo tunning sessions, a major surgery on a big gas laser , a major rewire by several people, and the neet stuff, a arc lamp made out just about nothing,ok and the air cannons.And best of all,what a great bunch of people.

Adam , i have to commend you for the great job you did putting this all together. I know it was a lot of work, and I thank you very much for all your effort.

Thanks also to every one else that was at SELEM, your patience with a newbie was greatly appreciated.

bill from mich

SELEM WAS FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!
    Hey Bill from Mich! Glad you had a great time! It was great meeting you and your wife. Glad to hear you had a good time and we didn't scare you away! :P You know you gonna have to come down to FLEM 1.5 or FLEM 2, maybe clan will bring out the big cigarette lighters.

Smile

Hi Bill!

Glad to hear you had a good time. It was sort of chaotic at times, but we sure got a lot accomplished! Be sure to keep us up to date as you experiment with your new Flashback 3 controller... And let us know if you get the urge to travel to our area again. If we don't have a formal event planned, maybe we can get a couple folks together and just geek out for an afternoon...

As far as SELEM in North Carolina goes... Guys - I think this could be a regular gig for us! Everyone seems to like the venue, and the folks that run the place sure like us! They already have us down on the calender for next year, and we may be able to do some other laser-related stuff there early next year. I'll keep everyone informed as things progress, but for right now, plan on SELEM 2008 being at the same location, at just about the same time of the year. (August 23 and 24, 2008) Lots of planning to do between now and then, but I'd like to stick with that date. (It also works perfectly with the auditorium schedule.)

As for the Florida events, I'm still waiting for final confirmation from Paul on the venue, but it looks like we'll do "FLEM 1.5" on Saturday, October 20th. This will be a scaled-back event - more of a social event with lasers than anything else. We'll have 4 RGB projectors and some other gear, plus whatever I can convince Paul to bring... I think Hayden will be there, but Bill Benner has other comitments.

FLEM Mark II will be in late February of 2008, and should be about the same as the one we did earlier this year. Bill said he's pretty sure he can make that one, and we may have some other out-of-state visitors attending as well. (I've got some old pals that are thinking about getting into this money pit hobby, so I told them to plan an Orlando vacation and leave a day open to geek out with a bunch of laserists!) That event is still in the planning stages though.

Finally, let me tell you guys that setting up the event is only a small part of the job. *YOU* guys are what really make or break the event. Thanks to everyone that schlepped their equipment in from near and far. Part of what made SELEM so sucessful was the wide range of equipment present. Let's face it: the best venue in the world is useless without a lot of laser gear to fill it! So each of you need to take a bow for agreeing to pack up and carry all your gear to North Carolina. SELEM wouldn't have been the same without it...

Adam