Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Selem !!!

hehe- funny post

Quote Originally Posted by clandestiny View Post
    adam, geeez, i think it would be wise to leave the high tech laser career on the shelf for a while.
    What high tech laser career? I keep telling you guys that I'm still learning! I mean, my day job is at a wastewater treatment facility for Christ's sake...

Seriously though, the camera was old, and I think the memory card was dying. My guess is that either the internal battery on the card got weak or else the card edge connector was dirty, and the resulting loss of signal convinced the camera that the card was brand new and needed to be formatted.

Stanwax sent me a utility that might save the day - assuming the card isn't completely fried. I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

As far as the video camera is concerned - well, it was (and is) a piece of junk. Always has been. (Remember the auto-focus problem from FLEM?) I also had an auto-iris problem when I first got it. It has never been truely right since the day I bought it. (Note to self: never buy refurbished goods off of U-bid.)

But I've had that thing for something like 8 years now, so I guess I've gotten my fair use out of it. And I *KNOW* I have some good video from day one, plus lots of good pictures from day one, so all is not lost.
    I am sure your local university would have some programs geared towards simple operation and repair of home electronics-
    I know you're kidding, but seriously - for the cost of the tuition for a class like that I could buy a new camera, a new DV camcorder, and still have money left over for some laser hardware. Nah, I think it's past time for me to upgrade to better gear. These cameras have just about outlived their usefullness. Maybe for my birthday or something...

Adam

PS: Speaking of pictures, where are the pictures of your gig? You know, the one that was so friggin' important that even though it was OVER you still couldn't come to SELEM? You promised us a picture!

Quote Originally Posted by MechEng3 View Post
    Let me know if anyone has a suggestion of how to upload 45 minutes of this.......and where.Also have a few minutes of random laser mania that went on.......
    I suggest you upload it all to Google video. Just register with them and then use their custom file upload program. It's easier to use than the web-based interface, and you can upload HOURS of video if you want. You can also post it to the PL FTP site that cruch maintains.

I've got at least 3 hours of video from day one that I need to digitize and upload. Will probably take me a while to sift through it to edit out the cruft. Maybe by the weekend I'll have it ready to upload.

I should have the still pictures from day one ready to upload by tomorrow.

functioning photographic equipment to document all experiments and other
    happenings so you can show the whole entire globe who couldn't make it what they missed- no check
    Actually, the equipment *WAS* functioning on day one. It's just on day two that everything shit the bed.

Now that I think about it though, day 2 was also the day that the mirror on my DT-40 Pro scanner got broken. (Someone tossed my cordless drill into one of my plastic tote bins, and it landed on top of the bubble-wrap that the galvos were packed in.) Fortunately, Bill Benner was able to effect a beautiful repair, and they're fine now. But that's got me thinking... Maybe Clandestiny sent a spy to SELEM to create some havoc... He screwed up the digitial camera, messed up the video camera, and broke my scanners. Good thing we arrived early on day two before the spy was able to do more damage! (Hey, maybe that's what's wrong with Aaron's cabling!?!)
    well i guess theres always next year-
    What on earth makes you think I'm willing to wait until next year to host another one of these events? Dude - I'm ready to do one next week!
    so have a bud and leave that hgm 5 to mr zurcher
    Cough... A *BUD*? Never. Sam Adam's, maybe. Homebrew, definitely. But never a Bud. I'd rather die of thirst.

As for the HGM 5, I think I've got a pretty good plan for getting it ready to rock. But I might need Dave's help when it comes time to walk the optics in. (The OC was removed when the tube arrived; we set it in place and nudged it gently by hand while we test fired it for about 5 seconds. The tube ionized, and we got lucky as we moved the optic because for the briefest instant the tube lased even though it was horribly out of alignment.) Bottom line, this thing is going to be a death ray once I get the cooling hooked up and everything aligned again.
    " clandestinys stuff seems to work all the time even if he doesn't need it too "
    Show off!

Adam
    Last edited by buffo; 08-21-2007 at 12:47.

clandestiny is offline Eleventy-Billion Watt Ar/Kr >:)
    somewhere between orlando and san antonio

steve-0 , you failed to heed my earlier warning, since you have willfully chosen to nerd it up with everyone- your fate is clear- you have now launched yourself down the slippery slope of mysteriously non-functioning gear ( ie the computer drive is just the beginning )

Adam
    yes, i have revealed my client to mr zurcher in a offline conversation.
    to be serious for a moment i have to mention that i prefer discretion when
    circulating pics of high profile private events and those who pay for them.
    Here is my proposition- pm me a private e-mail address and I wil send you a pic of myself and the most beautiful of all clients .I ask that you keep it off the net. You can at that time reveal to the group who the client is-
    here is a hint- shows were in memphis- 30 years ago that week- elvis presley died
    Last edited by clandestiny; 08-21-2007 at 12:59.
    go big or go home

Talking

the spy managed to get the scanners too? i'll have to pay him extra-
    go big or go home

Cool

Heh! Too bad for you that Bill Benner was present. It took him like 5 minutes to fix the damage. (Well, to be fair it then took us about another half hour to get the scanner back into the mount. We actually broke a screwdriver in the process! Hope Hayden got some pictures of that!) Thanks again, Bill!

Adam

hayden, checks in the mail-
    go big or go home

i have to mention that i prefer discretion when
    circulating pics of high profile private events and those who pay for them.
    Client confidentially can be a necessary evil. Sometimes you just so neeeeed to tell people about a gig.

Clan-
    Ive been in electronics soooo long Murhp's my friend now...

Today we salute you mr literary lark of the laser forum
    This has become the funniest damn thread on all of PL I think! I damn near laughed my ass right out of my chair! I really wish you could have made it to SELEM Clandestiny, would have made the event just that much crazier!

I have the whole Pink Floyd show....all taped and it is here.
    Thats great MechEng3! I look forward to seeing it online, by the way congrats on your purchase at SELEM. You know, if you have any questions or are looking for tips or tricks to do things I'd be glad to help out.

Adam, sorry to hear about the camera issues. I knew I was forgetting something when I went to SELEEEEM. I forgot my camera for FLEEEEM as well....