Thread: Coming soon: Ether Dream 3

Default Coming soon: Ether Dream 3

Hi folks,

I'd like to end 2020 on a high note by announcing the next generation of Ether Dream.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-12-31 16.06.08.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	1,011.0 KB 
ID:	57496 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-12-31 16.07.01.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	854.9 KB 
ID:	57497

What isn't changing?
    - Same 16-bit X/Y and 8-channel 10-bit color resolution.
    - Same network protocol, so existing software will work seamlessly.

But there are a few changes on the outside:
    - Smaller form factor. The metal case will have exactly the same profile, just cropped a little shorter.
    - USB power supply instead of 12v; some projectors have USB outputs for firmware updates and such, and so this can piggy-back off that. (The USB-C port is a robust through-hole unit to ensure reliability.) Firmware updates over USB too just like before.
    - USB host port instead of MicroSD, for playing shows from a thumb drive, with the ability to talk to other devices down the line.

And on the inside, there's more:
    - High-performance STM32F7 microcontroller.
    - Point rates up to 180kpps - no galvos can go that fast (yet!) but diodes can...
    - Numerous extra GPIO pins on an 18-pin 0.1" header.
    - X/Y and color available on JST connectors as well as 0.1" header.
    - Versatile color channels: the ILDA User-1 to User-4 pins can be repurposed to act as high speed digital outputs, with hardware support for GPIO, USART, I2C, I2S, S/PDIF, and XY2-100.
    - Cryptographic accelerators allowing for point data to be encrypted over the wire (ECDHE + AES-GCM).
    - All firmware will be open-source, and the boards are designed for easy JTAG debug with an ST-Link V3 (<$10).

Earlier generations of Ether Dream were pretty much tapped out in terms of their CPU abilities; this one has a lot more headroom to do more stuff onboard. I'm looking forward to seeing what people come up with to use it!

Too bad can’t power it over the Ethernet cable. Would eliminate a cable.

I thought about it, but it would add a fair amount of complexity, and splitters are pretty easy to find for those that do need them (like this - https://www.amazon.com/UCTRONICS-PoE.../dp/B087F4QCTR )

Good point. Think I will try that. I had used a battery and regulator.

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    Good point. Think I will try that. I had used a battery and regulator.
    Ethernet only uses 2 pair of the 8 RJ-45 contacts (1,2,3 & 6), so it would be very easy to add the 2 POE pairs of contacts to pins 4,5 and 7,8 at a female, pc-mounted RJ-45, thereby maintaining one cable.

I have purchased five ether dream3 in illcolumn
    It's very troublesome. It seems that it can't be sent to Chinese mainland directly. I have to transfer the package in the United States.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1620696860.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	16.7 KB 
ID:	57915

Hey Jacob, long time Ether Dream user here (I must have 30 or so and implemented the protocol in ofxLaser). I just got my first v3 units, loving the new form factor! Can you clarify the power options? I must admit that the USB C is quite inconvenient for me as I have a huge set up optimised for DC jacks now... is there still a way to feed in power directly to the board as in previous versions? Can it also be powered via the USB-A port?

cheers!

Seb

seblee.co