Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: A man made tragedy for all humanity

Default A man made tragedy for all humanity

I wish I could say that today's events were unbelievable. But that's just the problem. What happened today was totally predictable and completely preventable. Putin has successfully taken the United States of America off the board as the leader of promoting Democracy around the world. I'm 56 years old and I doubt I will live long enough to see our country fully recover from the series of atrocities committed against our nation over the past 4 years. The idiot in the White House could not have done this without the support of about 40% of "us". This is one of the most disgusting things I've seen unfolding right in front of me. It made me cry.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    I wish I could say that today's events were unbelievable. But that's just the problem. What happened today was totally predictable and completely preventable. Putin has successfully taken the United States of America off the board as the leader of promoting Democracy around the world.
    That pretty much sums it up. America's enemies are most certainly laughing their shorts off at this one.

The good news is that the orange orangutan's days are numbered...

Now for a clip from Twilight Zone...

Last edited by dchammonds; 01-06-2021 at 20:18.

This is the result of tolerating lies and inciting inserection as free speech. We suffer multiple networks dedicated to deliberately misinforming disenfranchised, angry, hateful people.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

In general, the Republican party and the Democrat party need to be dissolved, expunged, deleted... no more. Today's ridiculousness isn't just a singular point of failure, it isn't just because of one man. This goes back to 2016 and long before but let's look at 2016. Trump was put into office because the alternative candidate was equally bad (I'm not talking morally, per se). We had a choice of two candidates that no one wanted. We voted for them only because we didn't want the other candidate to win. The #1 selling point for anyone who wanted me to vote Hillary was Trump. Vice versa for anyone who wanted me to vote Trump. I wanted Bernie. I liked Bernie. I voted Bernie and I felt good because I chose the candidate I wanted. I got lambasted because I "gave one more vote to Trump". I'm sorry, I thought we were supposed to vote for the best candidate. Not the candidate that had the best chance of winning. Party has become more important than qualified candidate. Winning has become more important than righteousness. We are a failure as a country when it comes to voting. We have the right to vote, which is amazing but we're not free to choose who we really want. I'm embarrassed that we were left to choose between a cheating liar and a bigoted moron, what amazing choices! It didn't matter who won that election. The losers were the American people. It's no wonder we have become a global laughing stock.

We have become so polarized that we can barely function. Social media has made it worse. I have seen so many people get unfriended because of who they voted for. The excuse? "I don't want to be friends with someone who voted for Trump". WHY???? How are you going to talk sense to them? How are you going to try to get them to see your side? How can you have a real conversation and understand the other side when you distance yourself from them? How on Earth can you think critically and weigh both sides of an issue when you surround yourself with sheep who only think as you do? There is no growth there. No obstacles to overcome. If I may quote Firefly:
    "I've been out of the abbey two days. I've beaten a lawman senseless, I've fallen in with criminals. I watched the captain shoot the man I swore to protect. And I'm not even sure if I think he was wrong. I believe... I just... think I'm on the wrong ship." ―Derrial Book
    "Maybe. Or maybe you're exactly where you ought to be." ―Inara Serra

If you want to change the world, you have to do it from within. You can't be within if you're on the outside. Dropping people because they vote differently than you just leaves them to fortify with their sheeple. Good job!

The alt-right didn't fail today. The president didn't fail today. WE failed today. The American people. We can't blame Trump for acting this way. We knew he was going to, it's the only trick in his bag but we put him there so why should we be surprised when he did exactly what we knew he was going to do? Unless we unfuck ourselves and get back to talking with one another, stop shaming one another for our beliefs and values, even if they differ, instead of talking, this is going to happen over and over again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4-5k-me-i-dont-like-trump-everyone-so-you-support-6288970.png 
Views:	2 
Size:	115.1 KB 
ID:	57510
    Last edited by absolom7691; 01-06-2021 at 23:20.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

... so you'll need a third option beside republicans and democrats ... let's add a vote for "none of them", an look, what's the result then

Viktor
    Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - https://reprap.org/forum/list.php?426
    Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - https://reprap.org/forum/list.php?425

Best thing to do is get rid of the two party system altogether. Start a single party called Unitards and make the representatives wear unitards instead of suits. It would be kind of like Star Trek. Then we could invent a transporter and beam them all to outer space.

How about a simple rule change? If a bill only has sponsor's from one party and doesn't pass both houses of congress - the bill's sponsor's get a strike. Three strikes and they're out.
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

I don't care if you don't like Hilary Clinton. She didn't need to be your friend or someone you'd have a beer with. She was the most qualified person who has ever run for president. She is an excellent attorney. She was first lady of Arkansas. She was first lady of The United States. She was a Senator and she was Secretary of State. She suffered through a propaganda smeer campaign about those fucking emails and got through that only to face James Comey of the FBI telling everyone they found more emails only 11 days before the 2016 election, only later to admit that they were just more copies of emails they already had. She was the most investigated person to ever run for any office and what was the result? She's a free person. Was she ever really exonerated for all of that?

When faced with a binary decision, voting for "none of the above" is nothing but a waste of your right to vote. It's actually an insult to Democracy.

Last edited by james; 01-07-2021 at 07:04.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

First thing they teach you when you minor in Political Science as one of your teaching fields, (aka me) is that at the operational level, when things get bad, BOTH parties are essentially the same.
    This was not a Republican issue, this was not a Democrat Issue, its a what they think they can get away on K street issue. Today's instant mass communications has generated the need for super sound bites and instant responses. There is no delay in the loop for thought.

Many famous leaders of the House and Senate, McCormack, O'Neal, Rayburn, Albert, Longworth, Johnson, Dole, Daschle, knew how to reach across the aisle outside of session. The ones for about the last 20-25 years see that as no longer needed.

This artificial division and distrust was formulated as a theory in the early 80s, Late 90s. I was told it was coming by a few Poly Sci professors. One, God Bless Her, called it "Atomization Theory". Simply stated, When people are disgusted enough by the politicians, they will see the situation as hopeless and the vote counts will decline, then the election splits will consistently be near 50/50 when apathy has reached its peak, because there will no clear goals to achieve and no compromise will seem reasonable. That lady nearly nailed it. What your seeing now is "Post Atomization". No one I know now is happy as atoms in a changing, ionized, political vapor.

Both sides need to change, and start promoting candidates who are younger, smarter, and have better experience, rather then being the ones who have risen to the top of the machine politics . The quote from the Tom Clancy Novel that I love goes something like this "I'm a politician, one minute I'm kissing babies and in the next I'm secretly reaching around and stealing their Lollipop".

Remember that when you express your political thoughts in the near future. "How does what I say and do serve my Nation's People?" How does it protect the Constitution?"

This mess, by BOTH sides, has made the US the current laughing stock of the world. It is not just happening here, it hit the UK first. It's been other places for a long time.

Welcome to the result of being the "Me" generations.

You had your choice of two people perceived as equally bad candidates in a popularity contest, when there were plenty of others at the first debate.

Given what we do in false, self serving, scrutiny and criticism of our Leaders and their families, who the hell in their right mind would want the Top Dog job anyways?

This is cyclic over our nations history. How we now respond as the public to BOTH sides of the isle in our representative republic determines if we get more hell, or if WE fix the problem through non-violent means.

First step is expose the paid shills working for multiple sides and clean up the finances.

Disagree with me in a non-partisan way, if you must. I learn new words that way.

Beware of "Cults of Personality" centered on one candidate, one party.

"Blessed are the Peacemakers, for they Shall Be Shot at by Both Sides". A quote from Horace Greely

Time to make Peace and relearn the previous lessons.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 01-07-2021 at 08:39.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

What caused this disgusting mess is false equivalencies.

The difference between truth and dangerous propaganda is not simply a matter of opinion.

Whataboutism is another form of the same idea.

Well, this is just as bad as that is not a solution to any question.

Citing the concerns of democrats over voter suppression is not equivalent to attempting to usurp the entire presidential election process.

You choose what you want to believe based largely with how it fits your point of view.

For many of us, our feelings are more important than the truth.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials